Make $1000 A Week Standing In Line

HardOCP News

[H] News
A thousand bucks a week to stand in line for stuff like iPhones, product launches and other stuff isn't half bad.

Samuel recently spent 48 hours outside the Apple store in the Meatpacking District waiting for the iPhone 6s. He was the first in line, slept in a fold-up cot for two nights, had pizza delivered to his spot and snagged $1000 for the gig.

Well, at least hes cornered the market.

A real sit in for the job!

There is a service called Rabbit Task (www.rabbittask.com) that does stuff like this too. Maybe not for 48 hours, but it's an interesting service.

If you need something done like, waiting in line, help organizing something, stuffing envelopes, running errands, help moving, dog sitting, cleaning, delivery, pretty much anything, you can find "taskers" that will do it for you. They break out the various tasks and charge different hourly rates depending on the task.

A co-worker has a friend that earned pretty decent cash doing this. It's a neat concept.

There is a service called Rabbit Task (www.rabbittask.com) that does stuff like this too. Maybe not for 48 hours, but it's an interesting service.

If you need something done like, waiting in line, help organizing something, stuffing envelopes, running errands, help moving, dog sitting, cleaning, delivery, pretty much anything, you can find "taskers" that will do it for you. They break out the various tasks and charge different hourly rates depending on the task.

A co-worker has a friend that earned pretty decent cash doing this. It's a neat concept.

I did this for a couple of months when I was in between jobs. Most of the work i procured ended up being less than minimum wage based on the number of hours I spent doing the "tasks". Plus it took forever to actually get paid. Definitely not a long term gig in my opinion. Is this going to be the new normal (a bunch of "contract" workers paid a pittance)?

Adult diapers cost to much. For 10 bucks, he may have one of those camping poop buckets :DD

i7dJsBB.jpg

I wonder why someone wanted to be first in line so bad that they'd pay someone to sit in line. It's just a phone that someone could probably walk into the store a week later, no waiting in line.

I'm not sure that's even legal... or at least I hope it's not! :eek:

Stuff like this isn't at all uncommon. In the DC metro area there's been like errand runner kinda thing for AAAAAAGES and it's super useful for people who don't have time to take care of things to pay someone who needs the money really badly to do junk instead. Totally awesome that this kinda thing even exists since it's kinda like the whole giving a coin to a peasant to have them feed and water your horsey for you.

I'm just kind of disgusted that there are people who would spend $1000 just to get the latest Apple gadget on day one without having to wait in line...

Zarathustra[H];1041884132 said:
I'm just kind of disgusted that there are people who would spend $1000 just to get the latest Apple gadget on day one without having to wait in line...

I like to wait a month or 3 to help work out the pre-production/small production run samples units that are out in the field.

Well it would be disgusting if $1000 was still a lot of money. Like with inflation and having a middle class income, it's a pretty insignificant amount. That's like two semi-nice dinners out and the clothes + shoes you need to buy to go on them.

I wonder why someone wanted to be first in line so bad that they'd pay someone to sit in line. It's just a phone that someone could probably walk into the store a week later, no waiting in line.

Your error here is trying to understand the logic or non logical thinking of an apple fan boy/girl.

Anyway you think about this it makes no sense.

Well it would be disgusting if $1000 was still a lot of money. Like with inflation and having a middle class income, it's a pretty insignificant amount. That's like two semi-nice dinners out and the clothes + shoes you need to buy to go on them.

Where are you eating dinner? I can get a nice dinner for two for under $100 easily.

Where are you eating dinner? I can get a nice dinner for two for under $100 easily.

Well I was actually thinking more like a dinner date kind of thing so it'd be more like dinner for two. So, I guess if you break it down it'd be about $200 per dinner...done twice ($400) like I said. And if you're going out with someone, you don't want to do that in anything you've worn before so (and I'm kinda assuming that the other person won't either) so that means about $150 per person per outfit...per dinner for $600. That's still on the lower end of appropriate clothing though so that's why I said semi-nice rather than anything upscale.

Your error here is trying to understand the logic or non logical thinking of an apple fan boy/girl.

Anyway you think about this it makes no sense.

It's not the fanboys waiting in line (or paying people to do so). It's the people looking to export the devices waiting in line.

Zara, you do understand that this is New York City right? One of the wealthiest places on earth, so the concept of waiting in line as a multi-millionaire is ludicrous in their minds. Never mind the product they're buying, it's the convenience they're paying for.

I ordered mine online and got it day one without ever having to leave my house. And I only ordered it about 7-10 days before launch.

this just proves the same people who wait in line themselves are still dumb as fuck by hiring line waiters

Just under $21/hour; tax-free, I'm guessing.

There are worse ways to pay the rent.

If it was/is formally booked through Task Rabbit (not Rabbit Task ;) ), I would bet they generate 1099s automatically for their contractors and also send it over to the IRS.

Some people have more money than sense.

$1,000 is still a lot of most to most people, which is why most people don't understand why someone would pay this much money to have someone stand in line for them.

$1,000 for a couple nice diners?
I don't know where you eat, but even 10% of that ($100) for a dinner is more than I would want to spend.

Some people have more money than sense.

$1,000 is still a lot of most to most people, which is why most people don't understand why someone would pay this much money to have someone stand in line for them.

$1,000 for a couple nice diners?
I don't know where you eat, but even 10% of that ($100) for a dinner is more than I would want to spend.

Well, I did the math already in this other post:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041884229&postcount=24

I'd go back and edit it into my original comment to clear up confusion about the costs, but you know...no edit. :p

You dont?

I'm not the dating and dining out type. I've done it a few times and if you're going to go through the trouble, I think there's no reason not to make it an occasion and spend a little on something new to wear. I mean, why bother eating someplace with someone if you're just gonna slum it? If that's the case, just stay home, order pizza, and hug your pet kitty instead.

Kudos to this guy. The people that hire him have more money than sense and I can't really feel sorry for them.

I'm not the dating and dining out type. I've done it a few times and if you're going to go through the trouble, I think there's no reason not to make it an occasion and spend a little on something new to wear. I mean, why bother eating someplace with someone if you're just gonna slum it? If that's the case, just stay home, order pizza, and hug your pet kitty instead.

I never thought of wearing a shirt that I've worn before as slumming it. I kinda thought the point was the food and company, not whether I've worn my shirt 0 or 3 or 13 times before.

I never thought of wearing a shirt that I've worn before as slumming it. I kinda thought the point was the food and company, not whether I've worn my shirt 0 or 3 or 13 times before.

Maybe CuG doesn't like ironing :) $500 is definitely a bit much for a date though. Maybe CuG was born wealthy.

I can't imagine any retail store wants some nasty dude camping out and using the bathroom right next to their front door though. It's bound to be unsettling to any normal customers. I wonder how this guy gets away with this.

Back