Hackers Can Imitate Your Voice To Trick Authentication Systems

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hackers can now imitate your voice? Damn, what's left for hackers to steal?

Researchers are investigating ways that attackers can fool voice-based security systems by impersonating a person’s voice. A team at the University of Alabama, Birmingham (UAB), has found that using readily available voice morphing software, hackers are able to administer voice imitation attacks to breach automated and human authentication systems.

With a large enough corpus of audio samples, we have been able to synthetically generate a pretty solid match for a person's voice for several years now.

Know a something, have a something, be a something. Pick two and make sure those two aren't shared easily.

"Hi, my name is Werner Brandes. My voice is my passport. Verify Me."

SETEC ASTRONOMY...

That's what I thought of, anyway. :)

snicker go back a watch sneakers... they used to do this years ago with a casset tape... I grew up with casset tapes so it is more like decades not years. But then again what people have done to fake the digital foot print goes all the way back to the SGI workstations. grin. Just do not create secret answers that can be researched with a little googling or social engineering and you will be passed over for an easier target. most hackers are lazy unless dared to do something.

I'm not surprised, those voice recognition systems are total garbage. They have to turn the margin of error up so high to prevent false negatives it wouldn't surprise me if even a cursory attempt to fool one works.

"Hi, my name is Werner Brandes. My voice is my passport. Verify Me."

SETEC ASTRONOMY...

That's what I thought of, anyway. :)

What a great game!

that swoosh sound of the emails at the bottom telling you that "we are on to you"

Back