VR Quote of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
While it is still fairly early in the day, I feel confident in saying that this is quote of the day. :cool:

Chet Faliszek told the EGX crowd that the developer, not the hardware, is responsible for creating feelings of nausea. "The idea that VR must get you sick is [bullsh*t]."

VR definitely requires good hardware, but if the developer ignores the requirements of a fluent VR experience, he is definitely to blame.

with the Oculus I've found that experiences where you are seated (flight sim, race sim, the chair experience, etc) are the best regarding controlling nausea. Those sims where your virtual self walks around (using thumbstick on xbox controller) are pretty hard on the stomach; spin around in your VR world a few times and most people will run for the toilet ;)

I think dramamine should be part of the minimum system requirements :D:D

I think dramamine should be part of the minimum system requirements :D:D

You may be right.
VR will be for some people and not for other. But the fact that it makes some people nauseous really can't be blamed on VR. You can make the same argument about riding in a car or boat.

Consider how some people always get car sick and some don't. How some can take a boat trip and are not effected by the rocking and rolling while other are puking over the side. Some are just more sensitive to this than others. This will never change.

I agree with Chet. Developers have been responsible for many feelings of nausea, but not necessarily connected with VR.

I agree with Chet. Developers have been responsible for many feelings of nausea, but not necessarily connected with VR.

Its funny, and not VR related but the only game that's ever managed to make me query every time I played for 15-20min is Half Life 2. Don't know what it was about that game. Changed monitors, made no diff

Its funny, and not VR related but the only game that's ever managed to make me query every time I played for 15-20min is Half Life 2. Don't know what it was about that game. Changed monitors, made no diff

There is only one game that has managed to make me sick ever. (well there is a second, but it was expected under the circumstances...) Elebits for the Wii. That game would have me sick within 15 minutes of playing. Too bad too, because it was a fun game. Nothing else has ever done that.

(the second was the first Dead Space, but that's because I played it after surgery and was pumped full of a metric ton of oxycodone) When I played it later, it didn't make me sick at all.

While it is still fairly early in the day, I feel confident in saying that this is quote of the day. :cool:

Chet Faliszek told the EGX crowd that the developer, not the hardware, is responsible for creating feelings of nausea. "The idea that VR must get you sick is [bullsh*t]."

I think he is correct. The HW is now good enough that if you write proper VR software, people won't get motion sick.

If you try to just run a typical FPS on VR, most people are going to get sick.

So it is up to developers to write VR software that won't make people sick.

Same here, except funny enough when I first played it my rig wasn't great so it was pretty choppy and I didn't have a problem then. Now on my current rig where it can run 100fps it never fails to make me dizzy as hell.

As for VR, yes, some content makes you queasy while other can be perfectly fine. Some people of course are susceptible to this even without VR, like getting dizzy when turning your head in a strange way or general motion sickness from being in a car or plane. So, you can't blame the hardware in that case, it's just the experiences typical in VR that helps trigger those already present weaknesses, and any future hardware technology may never "cure" these people. Not until we can directly control the vestibular system or something, but that's a long ways off.

My uncle would get nauseated playing wolfenstein 3d on the 386.

I don't know if it was an effect or motion filter on it. But Killshock 2 made my one friend and I nauseous. Well for him it gave him a headache that last days.

Me too. I could never play more than 15 min. That's the only game that made me sick (literally) iirc

Me too. I could never play more than 15 min. That's the only game that made me sick (literally) iirc

I had this issue with HL2 as well, and found it was a combo of the stupid head bobbing and the narrow FOV...I edited the FOV to be 100 degrees and it was much better, but not completely gone.

The FOV was too low. HL2's default FOV was 75, and that can induce nausea if the game is played on resolutions wider than 4:3. Setting the FOV to 90 or 100 would probably have fixed it for you.

My uncle would get nauseated playing wolfenstein 3d on the 386.

same here, the FOV of Wolf3D is too low, so turning in game doesn't feel "good" and after a while you can get sick.

a FOV that is too high will rarely make you sick.

That's not really VR. The Oculus is just a couple of cell phone screens held really close to your face inside a plastic box.

nope. it's not "just that"
nice troll btw. :rolleyes:

not spending any energy feeding your trolling.
keep on hating :cool:

nope. it's not "just that"
nice troll btw. :rolleyes:

not spending any energy feeding your trolling.
keep on hating :cool:

VR requires a lot more than two tiny screens held in place with some elastic. But if you wanna believe otherwise, whatevs. I'm just trying to help people learn new things and I don't mind if people would prefer not to do so.

Trying learning the basics first: Oculus is the company. Rift is the product :p

Trying learning the basics first: Oculus is the company. Rift is the product :p

Meh, I'd bother if it was going to ever turn into a meaningful product. Since it's just another Facebook subsidiary pushing a poorly-timed product release following the end of the 3D fad, it's not that important to learn specifics about the subsidiary or it's product line.

Back