MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at LanOC posted a review of the MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G today that is certainly worth checking out.

This time around I wanted to take a look at an MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G that AMD had sent over. We have seen a few R9 390’s but nothing from MSI so it will be great to see how the 390 compares to some of the SLI and Crossfire testing we recently did and to also see how the MSI card compares to the other competition on the market.

Damn if I didn't have such crap luck with AMD drivers I would have gotten this vs the gtx970. But every time I do a driver update on my current cards it's always an ordeal

Indeed! Just goes to show how slow progress has really been behind all the marketing above & mirrors.

Tell me about it. I'm expecting nVidia to pull another "Kepler-style Refresh" with Maxwell.

980-Ti becomes the GTX985 for $550
980 becomes the GTX975 for $400
970 becomes the GTX965 for $300
960 becomes the GTX955 for $200

of course with the requisite core and memory bumps.

I appreciate the link. I am in the market for a card in that range but I've held off: torn between the R9 390 8Gb and the GTX970 (one of which I already own).

The linked review does not really compare the R9 390 to any 970. Instead, it tries to compare it to the 980???

Ken

Tell me about it. I'm expecting nVidia to pull another "Kepler-style Refresh" with Maxwell.

980-Ti becomes the GTX985 for $550
980 becomes the GTX975 for $400
970 becomes the GTX965 for $300
960 becomes the GTX955 for $200

of course with the requisite core and memory bumps.

Maybe for OEMs, but this time around I wouldn't think so for discrete cards unless things are going very wrong for them with HBM right now.

The speed bump for next gen cards with the combination of process shrink and HBM should be substantial. You'll have a smaller process AND a new technology at the same time, current cards just won't look good IMHO, except maybe as a new low end.

Just look at the Fury cards. Just with HBM alone AMD was able to keep everything approx the same, meaning ACE units, scheduler, and Dual Precision. By contrast nvidia had to strip just about everything out of their last chip to remain competitive. They apparently omitted ACE units, and basically removed everything for Dual Precision compute to fit in as many SP units as they could.

Now move forward to next gen the next step in performance will be considerable, which is why I'm not upgrading and unless you plan to sell the new card just before next gen cards are released value should drop quite a bit.

I appreciate the link. I am in the market for a card in that range but I've held off: torn between the R9 390 8Gb and the GTX970 (one of which I already own).

The linked review does not really compare the R9 390 to any 970. Instead, it tries to compare it to the 980???

Ken
You should look at the 780 Ti benchmarks for a reasonable assessment of how a 970 would perform. Sometimes my 970 was faster than a 780 Ti and sometimes not.

Back