Apple iPhone 6S Overheating For Some Users

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Maybe this is actually a, uh, feature—maybe to keep people from spamming their social media feeds with bad photos?

Surprisingly, we are seeing the first reports of a weird overheating issue in the camera app appear on Reddit. The problem seems to appear out of the blue, with no heavy use or exposure to extremely hot temperatures prior: once you open the camera app, you get a "Flash is disabled" warning saying "The iPhone needs to cool down before you can use the flash."

On the subject of CPU's hitting a brick wall, iPhone 6S meet brick wall. Mobile phones have reached the thermal limit a mobile phone can have.

A phone running over 100° F? Not putting one of those into my pocket.

Meanwhile in the actual Reddit post the OP mentioned that FaceBook was a possible cause of the overheating since it was doing a bunch of stuff in the background. This isn't happening for "no reason", unless you have an agenda.

Wife has one and it doesn't get hot, the BACK does get warm but not hot.

Clearly these people never handled Tegra 2 phones like the ol' Motorola Atrix... Now THAT was a phone which could get HOT! Wowzers...

Clearly these people never handled Tegra 2 phones like the ol' Motorola Atrix... Now THAT was a phone which could get HOT! Wowzers...

Yea that top power button got so hot I couldn't turn on the phone.

QFT! I remember having a silicon case on my Atrix and the heat of the phone warped it to the point that it didn't fit right after a few months. :eek:

Meanwhile in the actual Reddit post the OP mentioned that FaceBook was a possible cause of the overheating since it was doing a bunch of stuff in the background. This isn't happening for "no reason", unless you have an agenda.

IDK what the eff'ing dev at Facebook are thinking with their mobile app. If you do not go in and manually turn every back ground system off for that app, it destroys your data cap and ruins your battery life.

iPhone 6S Plus here - no issue of overheating at all on my phone. I did have some bad lag and freezing though, but those seem to have been resolved when I updated to 9.0.1.

I can confirm that Facebook is a huge battery hog though. Initially it was using up to 50% of my battery due to background activity. After changing some settings and removing the messenger app it still takes up to 35% of my battery. Absurd. If the developers don't change this soon then I'm just removing the app and using the mobile website instead.

Speaking of Facebook I had to remove the near useless widget from Android as that alone was treating up battery too.

Laughing at these Apple apologists scrambling.

Lag - check
Buggy - check
Overheat - check

The things they claim their precious don't suffer from.

A phone running over 100° F? Not putting one of those into my pocket.

From earlier this year:
Fkq0tA0.jpg

(100°F==37.8°C)

Every phone hits 100°F when running full-bore. Or when running Facebook's terrible, terrible app.

Laughing at these Apple apologists scrambling.

Lag - check
Buggy - check
Overheat - check

The things they claim their precious don't suffer from.

Lag and buggy? Had it resolved the day of purchase. Overheat? Still haven't had any. Laugh all you want, doesn't change the fact I'm thoroughly enjoying my phone.

QFT! I remember having a silicon case on my Atrix and the heat of the phone warped it to the point that it didn't fit right after a few months. :eek:

Oooh I could see that, I had one also and DAMN it would surprise me this thing could continue working that hot. I have no idea how that phone passed the QA tests necessary to go to market or how nvidia didn't get sued until next week. Mind you, it might also be why Motorola was such in a hurry to discontinue it, and nobody wanted to buy tegra chips for phones again.

From my fiddling with the 6s it's not anywhere close to that hot, slightly warm at most.

You do realize that's barely warmer than the inside of your mouth, right?

Yet cuddling next to someone who radiates the same temperature as yourself on a warm day is unbearable. Having something 'barely warmer' in your pocket, clothing which insulates heat and adds to the delta, can get pretty fucking hot.

yeah I too got the 6S, but got it yesterday, no issues here.

Well I'm sure it will devolve into the over heating ones being the ones with TSMC A9 chips. While the ones equipped with Samsung A9's are running more efficiently.

Back