Blackberry’s Android Phone “Priv” Will Launch This Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Better late than never. I do like the look of it, and I heard a lot of you guys still like hardware keyboards—so there must be some interest, right?

"Today, I am confirming our plans to launch Priv, an Android device named after BlackBerry's heritage and core mission of protecting our customers' privacy," he said. "Priv combines the best of BlackBerry security and productivity with the expansive mobile application ecosystem available on the Android platform."

The first time I saw that phone's announcement, I SWORE it was called the "Perv".

I don't get the orientation of the keyboard, except that it's supposed to mimic the usage of certain BB phones.

When a device is in portrait mode, the pop up thumb keyboard doesn't obscure too much of what's on the screen; usually 2/3 or more remains visible. A virtual keyboard isn't really a problem in that orientation. Landscape mode is where a physical keyboard could shine, especially on a 16:9 aspect ratio (Apple's older 4:3 aspect ratio mitigates this problem significantly).

I don't get the orientation of the keyboard, except that it's supposed to mimic the usage of certain BB phones.

When a device is in portrait mode, the pop up thumb keyboard doesn't obscure too much of what's on the screen; usually 2/3 or more remains visible. A virtual keyboard isn't really a problem in that orientation. Landscape mode is where a physical keyboard could shine, especially on a 16:9 aspect ratio (Apple's older 4:3 aspect ratio mitigates this problem significantly).

Not really. Considering that BlackBerry keyboards have always been similar in size it makes sense from a familiarity point of view. Also, having keyboards the length of the phone, especially one this size, would be way too big. Even having larger hands I've always found bar type keyboards a little cumbersome to use. Still have to reach for this or that.

So yeah, I think they made the right choice, for sure.

It's really interesting looking hardware, it really is. I too don't agree with the race to the bottom. Not everyone is a poor dickhead willing to put up with crap hardware. But it's still Google connected, so no privacy here at all.

Well, this is going to crash and burn spectacularly. Seems they haven't figured out why they are sinking.

Actually, looks kind of nice. The keyboard slides out - runs Android. It's the best thing I've seen from Blackberry since 2008.
The screen sort of looks like the Samsung Edge. Anyone know if they are doing anything with the sides (personally think the Edge's screen is a little gimmicky and makes it more of a pain to get a good case).

Not that I'm interested in buying, but the design looks fine to me.

The whole thing looks pretty... large. Why would I want to try cramming something of that size into my trousers?

The whole thing looks pretty... large. Why would I want to try cramming something of that size into my trousers?

Are you fucking kidding me? Are you just trying to say something negative? This phone is too big just like 90% of phones out right now? Give me a break!

Got my interest, might be my next phone actually.

Are you fucking kidding me? Are you just trying to say something negative? This phone is too big just like 90% of phones out right now? Give me a break!

Please don't take it the wrong way. I sincerely didn't mean to offend anyone.

From the looks of it, this Android BlackBerry is double the size of any phone I have ever owned. That would be a serious factor in my considering an upgrade to a brand I have always slightly admired.

Back