Oculus Connect 2 Keynote Replay

Yeah, they basically still can't deliver a product even with Facebook supporting them. It's way too late now anyhow since the latest 3D fad is long over and all those people with 3D TVs have like no content to watch aside from a couple of gimmicky movies from 10 years ago that have stupid, mindless plots.

Yeah, they basically still can't deliver a product even with Facebook supporting them. It's way too late now anyhow since the latest 3D fad is long over and all those people with 3D TVs have like no content to watch aside from a couple of gimmicky movies from 10 years ago that have stupid, mindless plots.

That seems like a pretty jaded sentiment when you consider what they have said.

Countless reviewers have said DK2 and Cresent Bay were products that a consumer would enjoy. The folks at Oculus weren't satisfied yet because they want it to be even better.

I personally respect that - too many companies rush games/products to market and we end up with something un-polished, buggy and less enjoyable.

I'd rather they release something polished in Q1 2016 that has a real hope of success in the market, vs rushing.

That seems like a pretty jaded sentiment when you consider what they have said.

Countless reviewers have said DK2 and Cresent Bay were products that a consumer would enjoy. The folks at Oculus weren't satisfied yet because they want it to be even better.

I personally respect that - too many companies rush games/products to market and we end up with something un-polished, buggy and less enjoyable.

I'd rather they release something polished in Q1 2016 that has a real hope of success in the market, vs rushing.

It doesn't matter if they get it completely perfect, they missed their market window by many, many years. They could have ridden the 3D fad wave of last decade and gotten like someplace with a few sales before the company would have tanked, but at least the people who founded it could have scurried away with a little bit more personal wealth after the company bankrupted. At this rate, they'll release a product after years of hype that disappoints tons of people who are 3D glasses believers that don't at all remember how unsuccessful the last generation of products was when VR was a thing (LOL, I remember my dad talking about that stuff and getting this huge VR boner when I was just a CreepyNephewGoogle) and the mainstream buyers will have already forgotten about it because it would have needed the now dead 3D fad as supporting the halo of products like goggles. Which is too bad because spray cans of whipped cream would be totally the best weapon ever for unsuspecting Facebook goggles wearing people who can't see anything happening around them.

If 3D had no benefit, we would not have developed stereoscopic vision.
Also VR goes far beyond 3D.

If 3D had benefit, it wouldn't have died as a fad...twice.

Anaglyph 3D is still advancing and it's benefits haven't fully materialized.

Gen 1 - Still Images side by side (No moving images)
Gen 2 - Red/Blue color spectrum (Limited colors)
Gen 3 - Active Shutter (strobe effect/headaches/batteries/expensive)
Gen 4 - Passive Polarized (Cheap but limited angles and darkened tint)
Gen 5 - Autostereoscopy (Glasses free but limited angles)

3D is far from dead, it's only slowly evolving.

3D is far from dead, it's only slowly evolving.

I'm sorry, it's your screen name that makes this impossible not to do:

Dead-Its-dead-Jim.jpg

Same here. CreepyUncleGoogle and other doomsayers, in 5 years maybe you can say "I told you so, I have proof" and give yourself a big pat on your back. You will surely be praised and your self esteem boosted. If you are wrong nobody will notice, and you'll maybe forget as well as you joined us in the fun! :D

A lot of fancy awesome shit and no release date or price.

That about accurately sums it up.
Two "big" announcements:
- $99 GearVR in November
- Minecraft VR now in works

Other stuff you may've heard about already:
- Netflix, Vimeo, Hulu, etc... all working on VR-specific content/delivery
- Oculus Medium, comparable to Vive's Tilt Brush
- honestly I forget what else, it was pretty lack-luster in actual "news", but that was to be expected really...

Back