You Are Worth About $48 To Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
Don't worry, even though you are worth less that $50 to Facebook, you are all priceless to us. ;)

Facebook, the world's largest social network with 1.5 billion users, stands to make $12.76 in ad revenue off each user worldwide this year and about $48.76 off each user in the United States, according to data from research firm eMarketer.

Awww that's touching!

The amount of money I have saved with reviews or forum posts on here, is worth much more than $48 to me!

That's much more than I expected actually.

I thought it was much more of a numbers game than that.

I'd have to have an account first to be worth anything to them. ;)

^^^This. I don't contribute to their income. Fuck Facebook!!

I'm not a huge Facebook user, but I do find it useful to keep up with old friends who no longer live in the area, keep track of upcoming events, and share news stories.

I have never clicked on an ad though (except maybe by accident) and I don't "like" any products or brands on the service, so I doubt they get much ad revenue from me.

Advertisers should hope I DON'T see any of their ads, as it usually has the opposite effect the are hoping to have on people. I am much less likely to buy a product after seeing it in an ad. Part of it is a "fuck you for distracting my day" thought process, and part of it is a "if they are going for mass brand awareness, it is probably a diluted lowest common denominator piece of crap.

I do actual research before buying anything. Ads are nothing but an annoyance, and only serve to turn me off from a brand.

Zarathustra[H];1041873143 said:
I'm not a huge Facebook user, but I do find it useful to keep up with old friends who no longer live in the area, keep track of upcoming events, and share news stories.

I have never clicked on an ad though (except maybe by accident) and I don't "like" any products or brands on the service, so I doubt they get much ad revenue from me.

Advertisers should hope I DON'T see any of their ads, as it usually has the opposite effect the are hoping to have on people. I am much less likely to buy a product after seeing it in an ad. Part of it is a "fuck you for distracting my day" thought process, and part of it is a "if they are going for mass brand awareness, it is probably a diluted lowest common denominator piece of crap.

I do actual research before buying anything. Ads are nothing but an annoyance, and only serve to turn me off from a brand.

Agreed. If I start to see too many invasive ads then that just means I have to add more rules to adblock.

I too do not buy from an ad nor click on them. I mostly find out about new products that interest me either from friends or my followed news sites that post product reviews/teardowns. I conduct my own research after that and then typically look at price trends of the product (if it has been out for a while).

Yea, I hate facebook but it does help me keep in touch with some people. I like the passive contact it gives me so I don't have to call people all the time lol. Any more facebook feels more like a billboard and politcal forum than a social network.

Don't worry, even though you are worth less that $50 to Facebook, you are all priceless to us. ;)

Facebook, the world's largest social network with 1.5 billion users, stands to make $12.76 in ad revenue off each user worldwide this year and about $48.76 off each user in the United States, according to data from research firm eMarketer.

I don't think we are priceless to [H], tough given the traffic, commisioned links and ad click revenue, we are probably worth more than $50 bucks.

Well since I don't go on facebook, I guess it's hard for me to say I'm being undervalued.

That's some decent monetization per person for a web site. I wonder how that compares to other services with ads (users / income from ads, etc.)?

That's some decent monetization per person for a web site. I wonder how that compares to other services with ads (users / income from ads, etc.)?

I suspect the difference between Facebook and many other sites that have the same number of daily unique visitors, is that people tend to spend more time on Facebook, so there are more opportunities to show people more ads.

I'm glad to deny them their $48.76 by not having an account. :)

Zarathustra[H];1041873240 said:
I suspect the difference between Facebook and many other sites that have the same number of daily unique visitors, is that people tend to spend more time on Facebook, so there are more opportunities to show people more ads.

So, by that logic, my wife is worth a few grand to YouTube & Facebook! :D She spends all day on those sites.

$50 bucks a year per person is huge imo.

Think of what they would have to offer for a yearly software title at the same price.

So, by that logic, my wife is worth a few grand to YouTube & Facebook! :D She spends all day on those sites.

As opposed to your all day on [H] forums. :D

Seriously though, I dunno how someone can kill much time on Facebook or watching Youtube stuff. You should demand sammiches and you can even say I'm the one who said you should do so.

As opposed to your all day on [H] forums. :D

Seriously though, I dunno how someone can kill much time on Facebook or watching Youtube stuff. You should demand sammiches and you can even say I'm the one who said you should do so.

I'm at work and hit the [H] on slow times and breaks. :D

I get bored on YouTube. Facebook, I'll scroll and see what people are up to, post if I feel like it, and move on.

I'd have to have an account first to be worth anything to them. ;)

This. F facebook and their privacy intrusions. Anyone that volunteers up their information to a company to data mine is in the words of zuckerburg himself, "a stupid fuck".

So, a user in the USA is worth 3x than the rest of the world? 'MURICA, land of the datamined...

Yes, they love my uBlock and noscript. Totally not fake name and totally not fake info. But one do have to keep in touch with classmates.

I don't think we are priceless to [H], tough given the traffic, commisioned links and ad click revenue, we are probably worth more than $50 bucks.

Well [H] has 199,272 registered users. If we're worth more than $50 then that means [H] makes more than $9,963,600 from us each year. I'm not sure that's true. ;)

Back