Decent cheap, used video card that doesn't require power connections?

Picked up a dell optiplex 755 for $30, added some ram $10, upgraded cpu to an e8400(had it already but can get them for $7 on ebay).

Trying to build the best gaming setup I can for under $100. The only thing left is the video card. Since the psu doesn't have any extra power connections and is more then likely shit to begin with I need a video card that doesn't require any power connections.

I know the 750/ti is the obvious choice but was wondering what some cheaper options might be. Unfortunately this is a really hard thing to search for (especially for older cards). Would like it to be at least dx10? What would be my best option for around $50 or less?

I'd just bite the bullet and get the 750/Ti. Worst case you can reuse it again in the future. Most of the older cards I can think of that come anywhere near that need a 6-pin connector. Not sure exactly what's in it, but you could always use a 2 molex to 1 6-pin adapter or just throw in a cheap Corsair 430W PSU for $20AR and get a more powerful card like a used 7950 or something.

GT 730, or if you want lower cost and power you can go with a GT210

was hoping for something faster, like I said doesn't need to be dx11. There's gotta be some older cards that were comparable to what the 750 offers... aren't there?

and to the other person, I'm thinking about doing 10+ builds for a simple lan setup for games like csgo, I won't be using these pcs very much and am not willing to spend a lot of money on them.

I'd vote for the 750 Ti as well.

It's a decent card enough card. The fact that you get that much performance without additional power is EXCELLENT.

Yes, it kinda blows your total budget. But you'll be happier with the end result.

was hoping for something faster, like I said doesn't need to be dx11. There's gotta be some older cards that were comparable to what the 750 offers... aren't there?

and to the other person, I'm thinking about doing 10+ builds for a simple lan setup for games like csgo, I won't be using these pcs very much and am not willing to spend a lot of money on them.

There are, but not without a 6-pin adapter. That's what makes the 750Ti unique.

I used to run a 9600GT for light gaming. IIRC the latest models didn't need the 6 pin connector.

vanilla gtx 750 is your best bet. the msi is offering $30 rebates on all of their gtx 750s on the egg. upping the base clock to 1200mhz not unheard of on these cards. 3yr warranty to boot.

vanilla gtx 750 is your best bet. the msi is offering $30 rebates on all of their gtx 750s on the egg. upping the base clock to 1200mhz not unheard of on these cards. 3yr warranty to boot.

This sounds like the best value honestly. The MSI 1GB comes out to $64.99 after $30 rebate on Newegg and the MSI 2GB with the twin frozr cooler is $10 more after $30 rebate and $10 coupon code at $74.99 superbiiz.

HD 5670 is as good as that gets, I think.
If 750 Ti needs no 6-pin,then that's your huckleberry.

hd 7750/r7 250e from the amd side

Right, the 7750 USED to be a viable contender for best bus-powered card. And then Nvidia embarrassed them with the GTX 750:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_750_OC/25.html

MbfOQkf.gif

That's almost twice as fast as the HD 7750, for the same amount of power! And the 750 Ti is almost the same performance as the HD 7850, a card that uses 90w of power!

You're really doing yourself a disserrvice if you pass on the $60 GTX 750. That will be an HTPC powerhouse for some time.

I have to agree with everyone else here. Splurge on a GTX750/Ti. I happen to own both the Ti and non-Ti. Both great cards for 1080p... Granted, you're not gonna crank the settings (especially paired with an e8400).

Right, the 7750 USED to be a viable contender for best bus-powered card. And then Nvidia embarrassed them with the GTX 750.

word. that's precisely what i did for my micro form factor test builds. upgraded from a single slot powercolor hd 7750 to gainward's fully single slot gtx 750. sometimes the performance boost was huge and sometimes it wasn't but certainly the gtx 750 was giving me more than the hd 7750.

Back