This Link Crashes Chrome

And if you debug with VS2010 it says that chrome has triggered a breakpoint.. but since I don't have the source code I of course can't see what is going on.

And if you tell it to continue instead of break, chrome just freezes up.

Who is actually going to try to go to this specific address unless somebody puts up a link specifically designed to crash chrome?

You can also replace the a with any other character or string of characters. All that matters is the %%30%30 at the end which is being converted to NULL as is said in that video.

Should take all of about 5 -10 minutes for google to fix this bug.

And if you debug with VS2010 it says that chrome has triggered a breakpoint.. but since I don't have the source code I of course can't see what is going on.

And if you tell it to continue instead of break, chrome just freezes up.

Who is actually going to try to go to this specific address unless somebody puts up a link specifically designed to crash chrome?

Someone could be a dick and disguise it as a tinyurl, or put it as an image link for a forum signature, etc.

Someone could be a dick and disguise it as a tinyurl, or put it as an image link for a forum signature, etc.

Just tried it with a simple html file by putting the address as an image src.

It crashes the Chrome tab, but not the browser itself.

I've been throwing that url in some posts of mine in different forums randomly not explaining what is. Been doing that for days now. No report of Chrome users crashing, or everyone is using a different web browser.

Would the solution for Chrome be:

Decode the URL. and then pass the decoded url back to the original decoder in a loop until starting string matches the ending string.

Then the original decoder is free to pass it along to the rest of the code.

This sound right?

This is not new. I had a google search result brick chrome on mouse click a few months ago. Go figure, I was looking for a panasonic gh4 service manual thru the indexes.

That loads up as http//a/00 when I click it - doesn't crash Chrome. I would guess tinyurl converted it to that. If I manually type in the address in the video Chrome does crash.

They likely already do some protections against SQL Injection that strip certain characters, percentage being one of them.

Google didn't follow the spec:

RFC3986 - Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax

Implementations must not percent-encode or decode the same string more than once, as decoding an already decoded string might lead to misinterpreting a percent data octet as the beginning of a percent-encoding, or vice versa in the case of percent-encoding an already percent-encoded string.

I know next to nothing about programming but is that a normal way to do the operation? Does it always act like the values after the % are calculated first? Like a bracketed section in algebra order of operations. So would crome read it as %(%30%30). That would make it only run the decode once. But why would you ever want to do that?

I have this version and it crashed mine

I wonder why it doesn't crash mine out, the tab or the browser :/

I mean, I went to the link because I wanted to test it after all, but to my disappointment, no crashy

Google didn't follow the spec:

RFC3986 - Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax

Implementations must not percent-encode or decode the same string more than once, as decoding an already decoded string might lead to misinterpreting a percent data octet as the beginning of a percent-encoding, or vice versa in the case of percent-encoding an already percent-encoded string.

That's assuming this guy isn't talking out of his ass which is very likely. None of what he said made any sense to me and he speaks as if he has access to the Chrome source. Wikipedia research and programming buzz word dropping is all I heard.

Yes, sequences of characters like %XX are decoded by browsers when in a URL to 'stand-in' for their actual character but I seriously doubt the decoding that Chrome is performing is actually rewriting the original URL string variable and NULL terminating it before it's predetermined length. That's ridiculous and rather stupid programming practice in my opinion.

On the off chance that it is NULL terminating the original string <i> before </i> the originally stated length (because it can't magically NULL terminate itself in a space of memory that is after the original length based on his 'theory') I don't see how a crash would result.

But hey, get the jump on a Chrome bug making the news cycle, sound like you know what you're saying, and you're bound to get attention to your youtube channel right? $$$$

Thinking about it some more after putting my programming hat on is making the explanation a lot more likely. My hot headed late night rant can be ignored.

I only use chrome for casting to my nexus player and it is super unstable lately.

I wonder why it doesn't crash mine out, the tab or the browser :/

I mean, I went to the link because I wanted to test it after all, but to my disappointment, no crashy

Strange. I have the same version, crashes mine - at least if you type in the url exactly as shown. I haven't tried other character strings instead of the a, and I haven't tried it in an additional tab, just in the first tab (I just have it open to Google, one tab). I also did not visit other valid sites first, just immediately went to the address bar and types in the URL in the video.

Strange. I have the same version, crashes mine - at least if you type in the url exactly as shown. I haven't tried other character strings instead of the a, and I haven't tried it in an additional tab, just in the first tab (I just have it open to Google, one tab). I also did not visit other valid sites first, just immediately went to the address bar and types in the URL in the video.

Update on this, no idea what happened, but after powering up my pc this morning I tried the link again and lo and behold, Chrome crashing.

Back