Getting Ready for Nano Testing

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Getting Ready for Nano Testing

While Brent has been working on our CrossFire and SLI 4K Resolution review, I have been getting all the parts and pieces here in Texas lined up and stress tested on my workbench so he can do his AMD R9 Nano review without interruption. All this fine hardware will be going into a Cooler Master Elite 110 mini-ITX case for testing against the world's smallest GTX 970 video card, and then into a Corsair Graphite Series 380T mini-ITX case for testing against something a bit more comparable in price to a Nano.

Inside our case we will have an Intel i7-6700K at 4.2GHz, with Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM at 2666MHz, a Corsair H75 AIO CPU Cooler, a Corsair CS550M PSU, and a GeForce GTX Titan. (Just used for stress testing the full system before shipment.)

Last edited:
This is going to be great! I anxiously await for the arrival of this article. Thanks for the update, Kyle.

I must say I'm more interested in the 4K resolution review.

Last edited by a moderator:
/grabs popcorn

Fixed. Thanks. Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
A card built for a market that doesn't exist. :D

I'm ready to watch the 980 Ti murder it.

/also grabs popcorn

Would you be able to OC the Mini GTX-970 as far as possible to see how it compares to the R9-Nano?

Is there a low profile GTX 970 yet? Or is the GTX 750 still the king there?

Will we see a directX comparison with windows 10 in the review? Still on 7 myself but as they say: “Leave no stone unturned” :p

This is gonna be good!

I tend to use AMD over Nvidia and will probably do so in the future, but AMD really screwed the pooch this time in regards to refusing to send out samples to some sites.

Will we see a directX comparison with windows 10 in the review? Still on 7 myself but as they say: “Leave no stone unturned” :p

Name any hugely popular or anticipated title that uses windows 10 DirectX and they will include it.

Oh wait, there are none...for the next couple years most likely.

Oh god, the child inside of me won’t stop with the puns! Kyle, maybe you should go ahead and block my future posts now regarding this card…. It’s going to get ugly man! hehehe

Name any hugely popular or anticipated title that uses windows 10 DirectX and they will include it.

It’s relevant and AMD could use any kind of “spit shine” they could get right now.

Now behave... The forum, and your mom would like that :), and you're only allowed one a#@hol$ in the whole review.

CS550M? What kind of weird budget build PSU with a $650 GPU world is this?

No, there are no stones....

That said, we have fully migrated GPU testing to Win 10 successfully over the last couple of weeks. Doing that is a bit more of a problem than you might think when it comes to getting repeatable and publishable real-world gaming results that we can fully stand behind.

When we can purchase Triple A titles that are DX12, yes, we will certainly use those.

Oh god, the child inside of me won’t stop with the puns! Kyle, maybe you should go ahead and block my future posts now regarding this card…. It’s going to get ugly man! hehehe

PUNishing you are....said Yoda.

CS550M? What kind of weird budget build PSU with a $650 GPU world is this?

That is a solid PSU that gives us a bit more room in the case for air flow and passes all HardOCP tests at 45C to still meet ATX12V specification.

For how long will you warm up the system before the test starts?

Till temps stabilize. This will be a closed system, so I see us gaming on it for 20 to 30 minutes to get it heat saturated as it would be when actually gaming.

This is gonna be good!

I tend to use AMD over Nvidia and will probably do so in the future, but AMD really screwed the pooch this time in regards to refusing to send out samples to some sites.

The whole Fury-line has pricing issues. Did they ignore the giant success they had with the 4870 when they regained and had dominant marketshare and profits, when their top GPU was 80-105% of the performance of nVidia's top of the line card for less than half the price?

Instead AMD decided to repeat the 2900XT with overpricing the Fury line.

Fury-X should have been air-cooled and $550
Fury should have been $450
Nano should have been $450

Fiji should have been a repeat of the R700, instead it was a repeat of R600. Amazing what AMDs greed for an extra $100 does.

To answer your question: Yes. the GTX750 is the current king of low profile.

[OT]
This is still the king of low profile cards: AFOX AMD Radeon HD7850.
But its really hard to find that one of those these days so I would just buy 750Ti LP from KFA which is the second fastest card.
[/OT]

Hopefully you will do max OC testing with both cards :)

Can you name the computer mother fucker?

I think with an "honest" review, for a $650 card you can add "bad" to the beginning of that title. :p

The 980Ti will most likely eat it for lunch once things are warmed up proper and throttling on the Nano has kicked in.

With regard to the PSU, perhaps in line with the small theme, a SFX PSU should be used?

With regard to the PSU, perhaps in line with the small theme, a SFX PSU should be used?

We used an ATX PSU as suggested by AMD with the case suggested by AMD. Had AMD suggested an SFX PSU we would have used one.

Back