ASUS Announces ROG Maximus VIII Extreme

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) today announced Maximus VIII Extreme, a new flagship Z170 gaming motherboard loaded with exclusive overclocking and gaming features — and primed for epic performance. Based on the new Intel® Z170 Express chipset and LGA 1151 socket for the latest 6th-generation Intel processors, Maximus VIII Extreme extends ROG’s world-record-breaking heritage to deliver the best gaming performance with multiple ASUS-exclusive innovations, including OC Panel II for expert overclocking, 5-Way Optimization auto-tuning for instant performance boosts, Pro Clock to push base-clock frequencies further than ever before, second generation T-Topology technology for extreme DDR4 overclocking and the new Extreme Engine DIGI+ for precise, smooth core voltages. Maximus VIII Extreme also provides the best gaming audio with SupremeFX 2015 with Sonic Studio II, the best gaming networking from Intel Ethernet, plus exclusive ASUS LANGuard and GameFirst technologies to eliminate lag for incredible online-gaming experiences.

Can it run SLI/CrossFire at 16X16 ?

NOPE

3 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 slots (x16, x8/x8, x8/x4/x4 modes)

why do people drone on about 16x/16x sli when nothing needs more than 8x/8x?

I mean if your a quad SLI nutter than I totally agree that z170 is not the chipset for you, but for 2 way this will do just as well as anything else.

why do people drone on about 16x/16x sli when nothing needs more than 8x/8x?

I mean if your a quad SLI nutter than I totally agree that z170 is not the chipset for you, but for 2 way this will do just as well as anything else.

I had massive microstutter issues running 295x2 quadfire at 8x/8x, and those issues went away after upgrading to 16x/16x. Just my personal experience though; could've just been a bad hardware matchup or other issue, and not something most people are going to be running anyway.

I had massive microstutter issues running 295x2 quadfire at 8x/8x, and those issues went away after upgrading to 16x/16x. Just my personal experience though; could've just been a bad hardware matchup or other issue, and not something most people are going to be running anyway.

Interesting, this is the first time I have ever heard of an issue, well thanks for posting your experience

I prefer this pci slot spacing. I like to have a little room at the top below my CPU and I never plan on running more than two cards and like have a space between them. For my personal needs these boards are what I'm considering but I'd be all over the Extreme if the slots were spaced to my perference.

ASUS-Z170-Motherboards_Maximus-VIII-Hero_1-635x508.jpg

asus_sabertooth_z170_mark1_1.jpg

Back