BitTorrent Traffic Share Drops To New Low

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is strange. Maybe people aren't downloading Linux ISOs as much as they used to. ;)

New data published by Canadian network management company Sandvine reveals that BitTorrent's share of total Internet traffic during peak hours is going down. For the first time since the file-sharing boom began it has dropped below 10% in Europe and the same downward trend is visible in the Asia-Pacific region.

All most people ever wanted was convenience.

Streaming services have finally come along to make on-demand consumption available, at a reasonable price point.

Is something replacing it, or is it just being hidden more with VPNs? I've seen mention that VPNs are getting very popular in those particular areas of the world.

Is something replacing it, or is it just being hidden more with VPNs? I've seen mention that VPNs are getting very popular in those particular areas of the world.

Im one of them. :cool:

I moved to KC and now I have a MUCH faster internet connection than I previously had so I got smart and subscribed to a VPN service to cover my ass.
My upload speed has suffered due to people blocking the VPN connection on my private tracker, but I have a 1.3+ ratio with close to 1.5Tb of traffic through that tracker so my ratio doesnt move much.

I mean uhhh....... a friend of mine.
Yeah, thats it!

Nah people are just using encrypted vpn's now. They just can't tell what the traffic is anymore.

Combination of all points made above.

• VPN encryption
  • Better services
  • Shit movies

Nah from the article:
"This doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s less torrent traffic, as overall bandwidth use may have doubled in the same period as well. However, other online entertainment services are gaining ground during peak hours. "

I'm reasonably sure it's just legitimate streaming services are now taking up greater percentile of bandwidth, with the rise of netflix, youtube, etc with cord cutters et all dropping traditional cable/satellite services and just streaming from their landline or LTE cellphones.

Nah, people have just gotten more ethical and honest, and now feel bad about stealing.

:D

A combination of people using VPNs and the movies being shit the last couple of years with the exception of Mad Max Fury Road.

More people using seedboxes because of crappy ISP caps :) so people only download what they need and seed boxes keeping up ratios... and with more people downloading compressed x264 rips vs full on BR remuxes maybe, less to download :D ?

Now, i would be curious to see how much torrent traffic is divided up between

Movies
TV Shows
Games
Apps
Other...

VPN is still traffic , so that's not masking anything but location and hopefully identity. Even if its end to end encryption, ISPs have gotten good at guessing what's flowing on their network to throttle stuff. I'm assuming that it's a combination of legal on demand content and and throttling.

VPN is still traffic , so that's not masking anything but location and hopefully identity. Even if its end to end encryption, ISPs have gotten good at guessing what's flowing on their network to throttle stuff. I'm assuming that it's a combination of legal on demand content and and throttling.

More people are becoming privacy minded, using either seed boxes, or socks proxy's that mask the traffic. Instead of peer-to-peer or bittorrent traffic, any application aware devices only see SOCKs proxy traffic, best way to avoid traffic shaping on outright torrent traffic too, until they start throttling SOCKs proxy traffic too.

The traffic is still there.

Nah, people have just gotten more ethical and honest, and now feel bad about stealing.

I've not seen any evidence that Hollywood & the games industry are labeling their products as shit or show any signs of remorse for taking your money for providing a faulty product.

Netflix, Amazon prime. It's cheap, stream on demand, anything not available can be gotten on DVD/Blu ray and ripped.

Convenience is probably a significant part of this...

As some have pointed out before I feel this is simply due to the fact there are many alternative mediums now to acquire media.

As some have pointed out before I feel this is simply due to the fact there are many alternative mediums now to acquire media.

My thoughts are pretty close to this. With legitimate and easy to use alternatives (Netflix, Amazon streaming) there's not as much need for me to torrent TV shows and movies.

There are so many alternatives these days. I subscribe to Amazon Prime (free shipping, streaming was an added bonus!), Netflix, Hulu Plus & Sling. OTA for other channels, NFL Sunday Ticket online (Student discount) for football. I'm doing very good and have absolutely no reason to pirate anything. For newer movies, Redbox (DVD Express) is just down the road.

Now, if a show were to come out on a channel with limited distribution, then I can see piracy. But, for everything else - it's just too damn easy to get it through legitimate means.

Back