GameStop Wont Sell Consoles Bundled With Digital Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why won't GameStop sell consoles bundled with digital games? Because you can't trade in / sell used digital games. ;)

This new strategy went into effect just last month, with the release of Madden NFL 16. While other stores sold Xbox One and Playstation 4 bundles featuring digital copies of the football game, GameStop "worked with Sony, Microsoft, and EA" to reach an arrangement for the retailer to provide a physical copy with any new console purchased.

If they allowed a special version like that to be sold then Gamestop must have some major pull then still.

As long as they have the bundles at the same cost, I do not see it as that big a deal. However, I usually buy my games on Amazon, Gamefly used and digital when they are on sale.

As long as they have the bundles at the same cost, I do not see it as that big a deal. However, I usually buy my games on Amazon, Gamefly used and digital when they are on sale.

Part is personal preference. I personally have been avoiding physical copies as much as possible this gen. Makes it easier to change games when I don't have to go swap physical media, plus you have to install it all anyway. Outside of that, it is more of just that they are having special versions made for them to help try to stop digital acceptance by the mass public.

I mean, the bundle ends up the same price so really it's a boon for the customer. Those that don't want a physical copy get an option and those who do get one. At no point is choice a bad thing.

GameStop is just trying to stay relevant for a little while longer. I am curious to see if they are going to go the way of Eastman Kodak. I like being able to sell my games, but not to GS where you get robbed. You can usually buy a new game on Amazon or at Walmart for the price if a used copy at GS.

When I bought physical copies I never traded them in because the value of giving back the game for a few dollars wasn't worth not playing the game again when I wanted. GameStop is just pushing away customers. I stopped going there with the rude attitude they gave when I would go there to buy xbox or psn credits to buy games digitally. Tried keeping them in the loop, their loss. This generation of consoles when you can switch games without swapping physical discs has to have been one of my favorite improvements, the bonus being the there is no physical media to get damaged. Though I'm kinda mad my bundle came with a physical disc... Heh.

I don't know, can't say I blame them. Why help support a platform that's slowly putting you out of business? It's like the local grocery store handing out Walmart flyers.

I literally just bought on 9/4 the GoW ultimate console bundle and had no disc option and just got the digital copy. Soooo I'm a bit perplexed by the in effect last month part.

Gamestop should start featuring more PC gaming hardware at their stores. Sure we all buy our PC stuff online usually but I so rarely see good PC hardware out in the wild that I'd probably actually set foot in a brick and mortar store that offered it, even if just to peruse. I don't live near a microcenter, our nearest store to actually go and see how a gaming peripheral feels in our hands or whatever is Best Buy whose selection is usually crappy and overpriced.

One more reason to never shop at GameStop

One more reason I will continue to support GameStop.

As someone who collects video games I very much appreciate this action. And do not look forward to what "retro" gaming is like in the next 20 years.

Gamestop should start featuring more PC gaming hardware at their stores. Sure we all buy our PC stuff online usually but I so rarely see good PC hardware out in the wild that I'd probably actually set foot in a brick and mortar store that offered it, even if just to peruse. I don't live near a microcenter, our nearest store to actually go and see how a gaming peripheral feels in our hands or whatever is Best Buy whose selection is usually crappy and overpriced.

They tried that a long time ago and failed. They will have to do something as they have less than one console generation to diversify.

As someone who collects video games I very much appreciate this action. [b[And do not look forward to what "retro" gaming is like in the next 20 years.[/b]
It looks like GOG.
DRM free ftw.

I wonder if they use it to circumvent MAP pricing. While buying a "bare" console won't get cheaper unless said console makers allow the price to drop, there's nothing wrong with throwing in "bonuses" as a "package" and making it not cost that much more than a bare package. With digital versions they might still be bound by MAP, in which case why would anyone buy from them if they can buy anywhere else, like Walmart, or Target, or etc...

I like physical copies. If I get a new console, instead of buying another digital copy, I have the hard copy I can put in and play. I might have to switch the input on my tv, but it is a helluva lot cheaper than buying another copy for a game I already own.

For consoles, I prefer the physical copy of a game. Why? Sharing. I borrow games from co-workers and they borrow my games. Usually after a while, I mail those games to my sister, so her kids can play them.

For PC, I just buy whatever. Just about every single PC game that comes out is now tied to some kind of service. You can't loan the game out. You end up having to loan out your game service account. Like Steam, Origin, Ubisoft, Bioware, Battlenet, or whatever the hell else service I keep getting fucking stuck on.

Competition is usually great for the customer, but not when it's some stupid game service.

They tried that a long time ago and failed. They will have to do something as they have less than one console generation to diversify.

Well I know they were letting people pre-order the upcoming SteamOS peripherals and Steam boxes through Gamestop. It's not much but if it takes off and/or SteamVR takes off then they could have a VR demo section too.

Wrong analogy. the disc is the DRM. cannot be freely copied.

Reading comprehension failure. Go back and re-read the guy I quoted and then put my comment in context.

Discs are going away, maybe not this console generation, but almost assuredly with the next one.

GOG sells DRM-free digital downloads. A DRM-free digital download is what retro-gaming will have to look like in 20 years.

Reading comprehension failure. Go back and re-read the guy I quoted and then put my comment in context.

Discs are going away, maybe not this console generation, but almost assuredly with the next one.

GOG sells DRM-free digital downloads. A DRM-free digital download is what retro-gaming will have to look like in 20 years.

Discs might go away but physical media won't be. The used game market is too important.

Microsoft tried to do that with the XBox One and retailers quickly put a stop to any notion of the XBx One prohibiting sales of used games. Used games make up such a large percentage of profit that there wouldn't be any reason for retailers to sell game consoles or new games otherwise.

Physical media isn't going away. There's still a big ass market for it. How many grandparents go out and buy some game in physical form and give it to their grandkids for b-days, Christmas, or whatever. It's estimated that this year there will be $19.5 billion dollars of physical media sold. For digital, $5.6 billion.

My biggest problem is the cost. Why the hell am I not saving any money buying the digital version? If the physical cost as much as the digital, I'm going to get the physical.

I want digital games on pc but physical copies on my consoles. You cant resale pc games so no point in physical copies for them. When I sold my PS3 and 360, there was no point in keeping all the games so I included them to sweeten the deal or sold them separately. I am obviously stuck with any digital copies since they are tied to me and 100% useless since I don't have the old consoles to play them on. Why would I want console games that cant be sold or traded in later?

Ya, I get digital games for PC, cause they're all tied into something that keeps me from being able to sell them. It sucks. Miss the days of physical game discs and no-cd cracks.

My biggest problem is the cost. Why the hell am I not saving any money buying the digital version? If the physical cost as much as the digital, I'm going to get the physical.

Only advantage of digital games on a console is that you don't need to get up and change the disk. They really need to bring the price down, since they don't have to worry about used games or people trading disks.

I finally bought an Xbox 360 last year as the kids where getting tired of the Wii. The reasons I went with the Xbox 360, was the low price and the availability of inexpensive used games.
I also like the free games on Xbox Live Gold, although I wish they would occasionally give out a family type game instead of the constant stream of shooters.
I have bought a couple digital games, but only because they had them at a big discount, making them close to the price of a used game.

Only advantage of digital games on a console is that you don't need to get up and change the disk. They really need to bring the price down, since they don't have to worry about used games or people trading disks.

I finally bought an Xbox 360 last year as the kids where getting tired of the Wii. The reasons I went with the Xbox 360, was the low price and the availability of inexpensive used games.
I also like the free games on Xbox Live Gold, although I wish they would occasionally give out a family type game instead of the constant stream of shooters.
I have bought a couple digital games, but only because they had them at a big discount, making them close to the price of a used game.

PS3 would have been a good choice too, as PS Plus gives you games and it's a wide assortment of games, not just shooters.

I logon to Playstation Network on PC every month and add all the free PS Plus games to my account. I do it for all the different platforms Playstation Network is on. PS3, PSP, PS Vita, and PS4.

It would be nice if XBL were more like Playstation Network in that regard. Like giving me the free games on Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Windows.

Well I know they were letting people pre-order the upcoming SteamOS peripherals and Steam boxes through Gamestop. It's not much but if it takes off and/or SteamVR takes off then they could have a VR demo section too.

Funny you mention that. I was just at my favorite Walmart 22 miles away in an upper class neighborhood and they have a section in their gaming department showing off the Steambox and SteamOS peripherals. I will stick with my Xbox for the sake of simplicity.

As someone who collects video games I very much appreciate this action. And do not look forward to what "retro" gaming is like in the next 20 years.
I've been curious about this actually. I don't own the new consoles, so maybe someone here can clear it up for me. I've heard someone tell me that in order to play a game on the Xbox One of PS4, you have to authenticate the console online first (as opposed to just powering it on and playing it). So pretend we're 20 years in the future and all online authentication for these consoles has since
been retired. Would you be able to play games on those consoles?

I've been curious about this actually. I don't own the new consoles, so maybe someone here can clear it up for me. I've heard someone tell me that in order to play a game on the Xbox One of PS4, you have to authenticate the console online first (as opposed to just powering it on and playing it). So pretend we're 20 years in the future and all online authentication for these consoles has since
been retired. Would you be able to play games on those consoles?

Playstation 4 doesn't require activation or an internet connection. XBox One requires you to go online to update before you can use it.

Back