Homeland Security Websites Vulnerable To Cyber Attack

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why does this not surprise me? With all the brilliant people out there, why is it that none of them work for the U.S. government handling this stuff?

The U.S. department charged with protecting government computers needs to secure its own information systems better, according to an audit released on Tuesday that showed lapses in internal systems used by the Secret Service and Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Of course this differs from all of the swiss cheese holes in private sector security in what way? Security is abysmal/broken across the spectrum. It is an impossible battle to win at all.

Of course this differs from all of the swiss cheese holes in private sector security in what way? Security is abysmal/broken across the spectrum. It is an impossible battle to win at all.

Not impossible to win. It's actually quite easy. You reinvent a dumb system from the ground up.

No HTML
No dynamic scripts
No RESTful APIs, no dynamic length APIs
No Beacons
No asynchronous callbacks
No form post
No dynamic content

Simple TCP/IP socket message packets with very limited stack based functionality.

Whens the last time you saw TELNET get hacked?

Not impossible to win. It's actually quite easy. You reinvent a dumb system from the ground up.

No HTML
No dynamic scripts
No Beacons
No form post
No dynamic content

Simple TCP/IP socket message packets with very limited stack based functionality.

When was the last time you accessed a website via Telnet?

lol

I get what you are saying though. Strip out all the user friendly bits and it is easy, however then most people cannot use it.

Or, GOD FORBID, they consume Marijuana. :rolleyes:

It's bad enough that people who drink alcohol are allowed to have jobs and normal lives. The last thing we need is to make being a wasted, burned out stoner socially acceptable in a workplace too. Those kinds of people aren't good at their jobs anyway so by filtering them out, the federal government gets generally better quality people which we know is true just because of how much envy the general public expresses through tangent outrage comments. They wouldn't do that unless they were jealous and not very well educated enough to get like a better job to make what the government does not matter to them.

I know potheads that make more sense than you do...when they're high.

Yeah, it's a common problem to be unable to tell the difference between "doesn't make sense" and "disagrees with an opinion." It's okay though because I can totally translate that post into what it actually was supposed to mean even though your ability to express your feelings is a bit below par.

Yeah, it's a common problem to be unable to tell the difference between "doesn't make sense" and "disagrees with an opinion." It's okay though because I can totally translate that post into what it actually was supposed to mean even though your ability to express your feelings is a bit below par.

I don't understand, please clarify.

Those kinds of people aren't good at their jobs anyway so by filtering them out, the federal government gets generally better quality people

The government itself knows that they've had to pass on plenty of brilliant, highly qualified candidates that may/may not be better than their current staff due to outdated modes of thought and rules on MJ use and other things that you seem to share.

I believe they've even attempted to enact changes that would allow them to overlook past MJ use so that they can hire and retain top tier talent; many of whom used at one point (or continue to use) MJ.

The government itself knows that they've had to pass on plenty of brilliant, highly qualified candidates that may/may not be better than their current staff due to outdated modes of thought and rules on MJ use and other things that you seem to share.

I believe they've even attempted to enact changes that would allow them to overlook past MJ use so that they can hire and retain top tier talent; many of whom used at one point (or continue to use) MJ.

I dunno about that, the federal government is a very morally sound organization that works really hard to prioritize clean, smart people over dirty drug abusers. Even if some super misguided states are starting to allow that stuff for a variety of reasons, I really doubt that the government is missing out on any high quality, educated and mega cool awesome people by insisting that employees stay away from drugs. I know they allow past weed smokers who admit it and no longer do it to go in, but those are the ones that have figured out they were morally wrong and evil to begin with and have since changed their ways for the better.

Why does this not surprise me? With all the brilliant people out there, why is it that none of them work for the U.S. government handling this stuff?

The U.S. department charged with protecting government computers needs to secure its own information systems better, according to an audit released on Tuesday that showed lapses in internal systems used by the Secret Service and Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Lowest bidder comes to mind.

No HTML
No dynamic scripts
No Beacons
No form post
No dynamic content

Why?

Going through all that effort to secure a "front facing facade". Really, go to www.dhs.gov and take a real look at that's there and tell me there is anything worth protecting that simply having it backed up and ready to redeploy won't cover. It's all just public relations bullshit, the real stuff is done on other sites.

Dude, I got my clearance in 1981 and they were accepting people who admitted use even then. It's nothing new, and that was for a TS. They don't care if you used to use pot, they do care that you stop. You don't have to be a saint, you just have to give it up.

I dunno about that, the federal government is a very morally sound organization that works really hard to prioritize clean, smart people over dirty drug abusers. Even if some super misguided states are starting to allow that stuff for a variety of reasons, I really doubt that the government is missing out on any high quality, educated and mega cool awesome people by insisting that employees stay away from drugs. I know they allow past weed smokers who admit it and no longer do it to go in, but those are the ones that have figured out they were morally wrong and evil to begin with and have since changed their ways for the better.

Thank you CUG, this laugh will hold me over ti Tuesday at least. But then you need to be back on and at it. No rest for the wicked :D

Back