Troubleshooting And Repairing Windows 10 Problems

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have a foolproof way of avoiding Windows 10 problems....I haven't installed it yet. I figure I'll let everyone else guinea pig it first and then jump in after the bugs are ironed out. :cool:

My impression, based on 25 years of Windows troubleshooting experience, is that this release of Windows is above average in terms of reliability. But it's far from perfect, and Microsoft still has work to do to fix bugs and resolve some pesky issues. That's typical for any version 1.0 release (just ask Mac users who struggled through the Yosemite upgrade a year ago and are dreading the release of El Capitan at the end of this month.)

You're getting old when you stop playing with the newest toys/tech, enjoying the process of tinkering with it, and being patient with whatever problems pop up because you're just so excited about it. ;)

I will take Windows 10 over 7 or 8/8.1 any day.... just not the latest preview build as it has issues with Crossfire.

Most of the issues with Windows 10 has been extras like my Asus xonar sound card taxing the system an odd amount. But outside of that 10 has been pretty not that bad. Though I will admit psychosomatically my windows 7 and 8.1 systems do feel better. But they also have better specs for what they do.

You're getting old when you stop playing with the newest toys/tech, enjoying the process of tinkering with it, and being patient with whatever problems pop up because you're just so excited about it. ;)

I did put it on my seldom used laptop, and it aged me like a United States President.

But I am not about to Perma Beta Test a cloudish os on my main rig.

I still haven't gotten my upgrade to go off of "reserved" after several weeks of waiting.

Edit: On my main machine, that is. A Win8 laptop and my Win7 HTPC upgraded just fine.

3/4 systems at home upgraded with zero issues thus far. Stable as heck. 4th rig is wife's laptop and she want's to upgrade, just not ready yet (this weekend I think it will happen as she get's an SSD also). I brought an older laptop (5th system) back to life (bad HD), and it run Win10 better than it ever did Vista (which isnt' saying much). It's older Dual Core Pentium with 4GB of RAM.

So with the new hardware hash key, is it not possible to upgrade you puter after you get windows 10 on it? It is it as simple as giving them a call to let em know you're going to upgrade certain components?

I have a foolproof way of avoiding Windows 10 problems....I haven't installed it yet. I figure I'll let everyone else guinea pig it first and then jump in after the bugs are ironed out. :cool:

My impression, based on 25 years of Windows troubleshooting experience, is that this release of Windows is above average in terms of reliability. But it's far from perfect, and Microsoft still has work to do to fix bugs and resolve some pesky issues. That's typical for any version 1.0 release (just ask Mac users who struggled through the Yosemite upgrade a year ago and are dreading the release of El Capitan at the end of this month.)

That's totaly oft

Edit: On my main machine, that is. A Win8 laptop and my Win7 HTPC upgraded just fine.

Up upgraded your Win7 HTPC?
I assume you weren't using Media center, since it's been dropped from Windows 10.

Up upgraded your Win7 HTPC?
I assume you weren't using Media center, since it's been dropped from Windows 10.

Nope, using Media Player Classic mainly, or VLC if that fails for some reason.

Format c:
Install windows 7

That's how to troubleshoot win 10 issues.

Format c:
Install windows 7

That's how to troubleshoot win 10 issues.

So how do you troubleshoot Windows 7 issues?

Wipe and install XP?

And then to troubleshoot XP issues you wipe and install Win98SE?

And then to troubleshoot 98SE, you wipe and install MS-DOS 6.22?

Sounds legit. :D

Wipe and install XP?

Depends. Is it a Friday? Did the issue appear just as the moon was.rising?

What issues.

Nice try.

Ahahahahahahahhahahaha,,,,,, breaths..... :D Windows 7 is far from perfect and has it's own set of issues. If you want me to post some, google them instead. Running Windows 10 Pro here at work, super stable.

I still have no desire to use Win10 on my main PC. I have a old HTPC that's no longer being used which I may "upgrade" for testing purposes, but the rest of the systems I have will remain Win7 or go Linux Mint.

Nope, using Media Player Classic mainly, or VLC if that fails for some reason.

Guess your definition of a HTPC is different than mine :)

I have a 4 channel tuner with a cable card in my HTPC, so it will be staying at Windows 7 for as long as they provide the channel guide.

Since the local cable company has now switched to all encrypted digital channels, it's the only device in the house that can receive cable. Not much of a problem since we usually just record shows and watch them later so we can skip the commercials. The switch has pushed me to get rid of a couple old Tube TV's we had sitting around, that where used maybe once or twice a year. Basically worthless if there's no analog channels to tune, and not worth paying money to add a cable box.

Wipe and install XP?

This simple flowchart I find helpful :D

BjzLrgmCEAAXeCz.jpg

This simple flowchart I find helpful :D

BjzLrgmCEAAXeCz.jpg

LOL! In desktop Linux's defense, many of the distros targeted at mainstream users are pretty good for many common PC tasks with minimal fuss and have been for years. Where it gets tricky is when there isn't good 3rd party support or a base of support information which can be particularly problematic for desktop Linux. And then more to point of what this image portrays there's ridiculously complex solutions like this that no one, out side of an Linux junkie, is going to do to simply play a game: https://teksyndicate.com/videos/gta-v-linux-skylake-build-hardware-vm-passthrough.

Guess your definition of a HTPC is different than mine :)

I have a 4 channel tuner with a cable card in my HTPC, so it will be staying at Windows 7 for as long as they provide the channel guide.

I don't use cable so no need for all that.

That's hilarious!

LOL! In desktop Linux's defense, many of the distros targeted at mainstream users are pretty good for many common PC tasks with minimal fuss and have been for years. Where it gets tricky is when there isn't good 3rd party support or a base of support information which can be particularly problematic for desktop Linux. And then more to point of what this image portrays there's ridiculously complex solutions like this that no one, out side of an Linux junkie, is going to do to simply play a game: https://teksyndicate.com/videos/gta-v-linux-skylake-build-hardware-vm-passthrough.

Well, as someone who uses Linux and recently abandoned Windows going from a bare drive to playing a game is pretty simple.

1. Install Linux Mint
2. Install Nvidia driver
3. Install Steam
4. Buy a game that's made for Linux
5. Download game
6. Play game

:p

Also, if you don't wanna deal with Steam, you can pretty easily download a Debian package and just click and it and wait for the install to finish.

Some games need more than that, but if it's properly made, its as easy as a Windows install or (in some cases where Windows version changes have broken compatibility) a lot easier.

I still have no desire to use Win10 on my main PC. I have a old HTPC that's no longer being used which I may "upgrade" for testing purposes, but the rest of the systems I have will remain Win7 or go Linux Mint.

Same here.
I'll only need it for DX12 games when they eventually appear and are a significant improvement.
I'll dual boot with Windows 7. I'm not using 10 for my main OS, I'd rather go Linux.

Some games need more than that, but if it's properly made, its as easy as a Windows install or (in some cases where Windows version changes have broken compatibility) a lot easier.

Indeed, the point I made was that if the support is there desktop Linux can be fine. It's when the support isn't there when it get's complicated. And the same would be true of Windows as well. But there's no need in Windows to run Linux in a VM to do GPU pass through with some type of keyboard and mouse wrapper to play a game that already runs on Windows.

I run 10 on my main desktop and find it very good, it blows 8 and 8.1 out of the water. I think its better than 7 overall, just takes a bit of getting used to.

My work computer is on 7, and my tablet is on 8.1, and I tested 10 which was not very stable for me during the beta testing.

At the end of the day its Windows its relatively stable, and stuff just works, you don't have to fool around on it to get stuff working like Linux.

Indeed, the point I made was that if the support is there desktop Linux can be fine. It's when the support isn't there when it get's complicated. And the same would be true of Windows as well. But there's no need in Windows to run Linux in a VM to do GPU pass through with some type of keyboard and mouse wrapper to play a game that already runs on Windows.

I dunno, some people will go through the trouble of doing the whole WINE/Play on Linux thing and even I have. It took a couple hours to set stuff up and play a few games so it wasn't really all that bad and there's a linkage in Play on Linux (or there was like a year ago) to automatically load games from your GOG.com account and configure stuff to make them work. I never tried it so I don't know how it works and I didn't load WINE on my laptop when I transitioned it over from Windows and moved the netbook I was using to run it before onto Android.

IDK though, with Steam pushing Linux versions of games and a lot of developers going that way, gaming is really no longer as big of a reason to stay away from making the transition. GOG's going the native Linux route too with a few things and there's just a lot more cross-platform games out there. Well, mostly it's a developer-led thing since they're the ones coding and publishing them and if they have an incentive to do it, then there's prolly moolah for them which means there's Linux out there and lurking/growing which is kinda exciting.

IDK though, with Steam pushing Linux versions of games and a lot of developers going that way, gaming is really no longer as big of a reason to stay away from making the transition.

I think this is vastly overstated. Linux's market share on Steam is still around 1%. For all practical purposes, with Windows constituting 95%+ of all Steam clients, Steam is still a Windows platform.

Windows 10 is a good OS. It's not perfect, people will complain about spyware, thisware, thatwere, whateverware, but the recent window of opportunity (no pun intended) for Linux to gain traction in gaming was with Windows 8.x. There as a palpable dislike of Windows 8.x across the spectrum that didn't need clickbait blogs to drum up. 10 has it's problems, but not this one.

With DX12 and Windows 10 coming to the Xbox, the preview came out yesterday, it's not a matter of if but when DX 12 titles start to come to market. If DX 12 will really add anything to games is a whole other mater, but there's no doubt going to many more resources going into DX 12 gaming than Linux for desktops and consoles.

I run 10 on my main desktop and find it very good, it blows 8 and 8.1 out of the water. I think its better than 7 overall, just takes a bit of getting used to.

My work computer is on 7, and my tablet is on 8.1, and I tested 10 which was not very stable for me during the beta testing.

At the end of the day its Windows its relatively stable, and stuff just works, you don't have to fool around on it to get stuff working like Linux.

At most I would consider dual booting Win7 and Win10. I don't like the direction Windows is heading, with the 8/8.1 fiasco being the most obvious example and Win10 being only slightly more appealing at this time. Maybe after a few months when a few things are fixed and we have more information on things like data collected, it'll be a different story.

I think this is vastly overstated. Linux's market share on Steam is still around 1%. For all practical purposes, with Windows constituting 95%+ of all Steam clients, Steam is still a Windows platform.

Windows 10 is a good OS. It's not perfect, people will complain about spyware, thisware, thatwere, whateverware, but the recent window of opportunity (no pun intended) for Linux to gain traction in gaming was with Windows 8.x. There as a palpable dislike of Windows 8.x across the spectrum that didn't need clickbait blogs to drum up. 10 has it's problems, but not this one.

With DX12 and Windows 10 coming to the Xbox, the preview came out yesterday, it's not a matter of if but when DX 12 titles start to come to market. If DX 12 will really add anything to games is a whole other mater, but there's no doubt going to many more resources going into DX 12 gaming than Linux for desktops and consoles.

Linux's marketshare is largely unchanged over the last 10 or 15 years and is probably lower than it's peak. I'm not sure what the economics of developing for LInux are, but it can't be great with so few people on the platform (and fewer still that play games on it).

I run 10 on my main desktop and find it very good, it blows 8 and 8.1 out of the water.

How specifically does 10 "blow 8 out of the water"? What magic, must-have features am I clearly overlooking? I'm genuinely curious because after running it since release the only practical benefit was being able to use CTRL-C/CTRL-V in a dos box. That was literally the only net gain. Granted I don't use Metro apps, disabled all the spyware and cloud bullshit and I use StartIsBack for both 8 and 10, all other things being equal.

How specifically does 10 "blow 8 out of the water"? What magic, must-have features am I clearly overlooking? I'm genuinely curious because after running it since release the only practical benefit was being able to use CTRL-C/CTRL-V in a dos box. That was literally the only net gain. Granted I don't use Metro apps, disabled all the spyware and cloud bullshit and I use StartIsBack for both 8 and 10, all other things being equal.

This won't answer your question, but my nephew who was unimpressed by 8 and moved to Apple, played with 10 on his friends computer and instantly wanted to switch to 10. Sure he's young and what he uses it for will differ dramatically from you or I, but his comments caught me off guard.

I start building a 10 rig next week, and I suspect I'll like it better than 8. Once I've done that, I may move this rig back to 7 so I can do more direct comparisons.

I did briefly help a friend with a 10 machine last weekend, and I thought it was strange that you couldn't search for Control Panel tools from the start menu. I know you can do that in 7 and 8. Maybe heatlesssun has some comments on that, but it sure seems like a bug to me (and an annoying one at that).

Wasn't the copy/paste functionality in the command line already added in 8 or 8.1?

I haven't had much time with 10 yet, but in my brief time helping my buddy with is windows 10 pc, i noticed that the screen splitting options were much better (winkey+arrows).

I did briefly help a friend with a 10 machine last weekend, and I thought it was strange that you couldn't search for Control Panel tools from the start menu. I know you can do that in 7 and 8. Maybe heatlesssun has some comments on that, but it sure seems like a bug to me (and an annoying one at that).

I've heard others complain about this problem. From my experience searching for Control Panel options from Cortana (Cortana is the system search utility, even when her data sharing and other functionality are turned off) works but doesn't seem to find every option even when the search criteria matches the name on the Control Panel item. But other terms will find the item. Kind of odd.

If you right click the start button on 10, you get a context menu with control panel and many other items listed.

Back