New Malware That Makes ATMs Keep Your Card

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is just plain mean. :(

A new type of malware that can be used to compromise ATMs independently of who their manufacturer is, and can make the machine steal card data but also the cards themselves, has been spotted by FireEye researchers. The dubbed the malware Suceful, after the authors' faulty spelling of the word "successful".

The entire ecosystem of managing money is leading literally to biometrics. No more cards, no more pins, just some method of biometric, voice print, facial, eye, fingerprint, anything that distinguishes you as you. Also, Mark of the Beast hate in 3... 2... 1...

Only an idiot uses Windows to run an ATM. Only a complete mental midget uses Windows XP to run an ATM.

The entire ecosystem of managing money is leading literally to biometrics. No more cards, no more pins, just some method of biometric, voice print, facial, eye, fingerprint, anything that distinguishes you as you. Also, Mark of the Beast hate in 3... 2... 1...

suceful 2 will just rip your eyeball out and keep it :eek:

First, congrats on eating my debit card, just means I can't piss away money as easily since the machine ate it. Guess I'll have to settle on 2 hookers and no blow when this happens.

Secondly, does an elevator smell differently to a mental midget as opposed to a normal midget?

First who EVER allowed non-bank ATM's, ever. Shoot THAT guy.

Second, if a bank can't keep it's ATM secure, it can't be a bank anymore .... shut'er down.

Only an idiot uses Windows to run an ATM. Only a complete mental midget uses Windows XP to run an ATM.

Lol, you must be in the industry, have a firm understanding of ATM software and infrastructure :rolleyes:

Only a mental midget makes blanket statements about things they don't understand ;)

If an ATM kept my card, the first thing I'd be doing is contacting my bank to report it (and thus, cancelling the card).

The Mark of the beast will only be during the Great Tribulation. You do not have anything to worry about since Christ has not yet returned. However, I think I would prefer having cards in my wallet as well as cash over having to rely on unreliable technology.

Wow, please tell us then, all knowing and seeing one, how using Windows XP locked down is a bad thing again? Also, how have you determined that it is a Windows thing?

Wow, please tell us then, all knowing and seeing one, how using Windows XP locked down is a bad thing again? Also, how have you determined that it is a Windows thing?

Should also add they aren't running standard XP installs, and still have support from MS, so it's not EOL like the desktop OS. Also, who do you think would eat the cost of upgrading the software (and most likely hardware as well) of the millions of ATMs being used? *hint* it won't be the banks. They'll just come up with some new fee to pass that cost to the users....

Should also add they aren't running standard XP installs, and still have support from MS, so it's not EOL like the desktop OS. Also, who do you think would eat the cost of upgrading the software (and most likely hardware as well) of the millions of ATMs being used? *hint* it won't be the banks. They'll just come up with some new fee to pass that cost to the users....

Windows XP is still an obsolete operating system (although I suppose it's better than OS/2), even the Embedded Edition. Not to mention that it is complete overkill compared to a bare bones *nix; even with the Embedded Edition you have tons of security risks you really don't want on an ATM like MSRPC (which basically makes every aspect of WinNT remotely accessible).

Back