Snapchat Now Selling Replays

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait, doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose of Snapchat? Thanks to Nathan H. for the link.

We’ve provided one Replay per Snapchatter per day, sometimes frustrating the millions of Snapchatters who receive many daily Snaps deserving of a Replay. But then we realized — a Replay is like a compliment! So why stop at just one? Today, U.S. Snapchatters can purchase extra Replays, starting at 3 for $0.99. You can use a Replay on any Snap you receive, but you can only Replay any Snap once. They’re a little pricey — but time is money! ;)

I'm sure I am going to get flamed for this but I think Snapchat is worthless. If I want to send my friends a pic or video, I text it. If it is something that I do not want to be seen repeatedly I don't post it anywhere.

Yeah, I have tried Snapchat for a number of uses and I can't figure out a good one. MMS suits me way better, and everyone can recall it if they want to.

Maybe Snapchat has some feature I don't know of that makes it great, but I very rarely send video to begin with, and pics are shared easier on MMS.

I can't see a use for snapchat. All someone has to do is screen cap your picture anyways. Disposable messages is a fun idea but when it is so easily defeated, kinda seems dumb. I bet they still make a huge profit off of this 'feature' though.

Selling replays huh? Damn that's greedy and also defeats the purpose... their usage must be in the shitter. Is there even a use for this app other than sending nudes which you don't want kept?

I'm with the above posters... MMS is just way easier and it's built-in too!

Snapchat is kind of cool because not all pics/videos need to be saved. People send me stuff all the time via text, and it just clogs up my phone and chat window. With Snapchat I see it one time and then don't have to worry about it again. The downside is that it encourages people to send a lot of messages, most of which are just stupid.

You all need to get with the times. You use snapchat because everyone else is using it.
You're never going to get that cute girl on Tinder if you don't send her funny snaps.

So this way parents can go back and check out what their kids have been snap chatting about...for a price. Niiice.

This is rather silly and seems to defeat the purpose of Snapchat. I guess they're desperate to try to earn a profit though. Pretty soon it will be full on Snapchat DLC where you have to pay extra for each use of images, numbers, and punctuation.

Isnt snapchat just to send dick pics to your mistress so there is no evidence for her to save & show your wife when she gets pissed at you?

Snapchat is kind of cool because not all pics/videos need to be saved. People send me stuff all the time via text, and it just clogs up my phone and chat window. With Snapchat I see it one time and then don't have to worry about it again. The downside is that it encourages people to send a lot of messages, most of which are just stupid.

My head just exploded. ROFL

I confess, I don't understand this new internet e-world, but I'm pretty damned sure I don't like it.

Wait...

:confused::confused::confused:

I don't really know anyone my age (around 25) that uses Snapchat...I see my sister who is in High School using it all the time though to send images and videos of silly shit. A lot of the top social media people really encourage its use, but I'm just not really buying into it. There are tons of other ways to engage with people. The replay model is definitely a blatant cash grab, and I can't see any sane people actually paying money to see something that was initially stupid once again.

Not even sure the last part of my post made any sense now that I'm re-reading it. Who is really sane anymore anyway? We're all splurging on stupid shit nowadays, fuck it.

giphy.gif

The funny thing is, is that if you can open up the file system on your phone, you can find the snaps you previously made/received.. or at least some of them. I didn't actually go digging any further since I was just backing up files before wiping a phone.

Only reason I've ever used it is because I was asked by girls. Otherwise it's stupid, has terrible branding, and an even worse UI.

Would anyone be interested in a replacement for Snapchat that didn't allow this? I'm sure there is a way to make money here somewhere...

I'm 28 and a dude and use it all the time. Almost as much as normal texting. Usually it's just a random photo to go along with what would have otherwise been a normal text, or to put your /other person's face to the words.

Like someone said earlier, I wouldn't want to have to clog my text window with a million photos and videos.

I'm 28 and a dude and use it all the time. Almost as much as normal texting. Usually it's just a random photo to go along with what would have otherwise been a normal text, or to put your /other person's face to the words.

Like someone said earlier, I wouldn't want to have to clog my text window with a million photos and videos.

So does snapchat take the photo/video so it's quicker to use than taking a photo/video with the camera, then attaching it to a MMS?

So does snapchat take the photo/video so it's quicker to use than taking a photo/video with the camera, then attaching it to a MMS?

Essentially, yes. You just open the app and choose who you are "snapchatting" and either record a video or snap a picture and it sends it to them with a timer of like 10 seconds. Then it will be removed off their phone.

It's essentially an app that allows people to express their attention deficit issues and send each other "sound byte" types of stuff, while giving them the illusion that their trail is erased.

Looks like Hillery will be closing her account soon.
Poor Hillery, just when she thinks she can get away with something...

It doesn't sound like most of you have used Snapchat, haha. Cmustang87's post is pretty much the gist of it, plus, there's content served by many media distributors like VICE, BuzzFeed, IGN, CNN, and a bunch of other crap. So after you're done looking at a snap your friend sends you, or you're just bored, you're one click away from a multitude of content that likely has ads interspersed within the posts. It's google news for the people with an attention span fit for BuzzFeed.

Apparently the media portion isn't doing enough to monetize the platform so Snapchat has to sell replays.

Yes, with worse quality than my stock Nexus 6 camera as an added feature!

Back