Facebook's New Read Receipts Promise To Ruin Your Friendships

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dear Facebook, since you think this is a good idea, can you at least give us the option of opting out of event invites altogether?

Ever had a Facebook friend send an event invitation that you ignored, whether it was because you couldn't attend or (let's be honest) had no interest in going? Unfortunately, you may have to explain yourself in the near future. Facebook has confirmed to The Daily Dot that it's testing event read receipts which tell organizers when you've seen an invitation, making it clear when you're avoiding things.

I get a lot of event invites. If I'm going, I always reply, some I do a Maybe, I will decline and there are some I honestly don't even look at. The "read receipt"... I wont' use it with events I create, but I can see some folks getting all butthurt because of people not actually 'looking'.
I'm okay with that.

I essentially only use Facebook as a method for inviting people to and accepting invites to events.

I can't see this adding anything to the experience, I don't care if people don't want to go or didn't read the invite. The net sum is the same anyway, there are plenty of reasons not to go to events and no reason to be upset if people can't make it.

lol it's like that one phone add where it's showcasing the ability to see if people read your text and just ignored you.

Lots of drama will ensue, I for one am excited ^_^

Untill Zuckerberg comes up with a Facebook theme that doesn't require users to look at a all white web page.

Back