Two Men Arrested In Multimillion-Dollar Text Message Fraud Scheme

HardOCP News

[H] News
You have to wonder why scammers do stuff like this. I mean, they have to know they are going to get caught. Right?

The six people charged in this scheme have been accused of working together to subscribe millions of mobile customers to horoscope or celebrity gossip services that they had never asked for, for $10 per month. Two of the conspirators worked for a premium text billing service based in Australia, and they were asked to write a program that would generate fake authorizations to bill mobile carriers for content, so it would appear that customers had authorized these services that they had never heard of.

You have to wonder why scammers do stuff like this. I mean, they have to know they are going to get caught. Right?

They know the odds of being discovered are slim, the chances of getting caught are even lower and depending where they live, the possibilities of getting convicted are slim.

They know the odds of being discovered are slim, the chances of getting caught are even lower and depending where they live, the possibilities of getting convicted are slim.

Yeah. The problem is greed, just like any good pyramid/ponzi scheme, it's knowing when go cut and run.

The phone carriers themselves were/are doing this sort of thing, AT&T got hit with a $105 million fine just last year for 'cramming' hidden and unauthorized third-party charges on customer bills.

Sounds to me like these guys got caught because they tried to avoid giving the phone cartels their cut.

Back