Facebook Pledges To Combat Racism On German Platform

HardOCP News

[H] News
After a little arm twisting by the German government, Facebook has finally agreed to do something about "racist hate speech" on the German version of Facebook.

The US social media network said it would encourage "counter speech" and step up monitoring of anti-foreigner commentary, as company representatives were due to meet German Justice Minister Heiko Maas later Monday. Facebook said it would work with other organisations in Germany "to develop appropriate solutions to counter xenophobia and racism and to represent this online".

So, in other words. While the country is taking on a few hundred thousand refugees from Syria and the middle east, the people of Germany are not allowed to say anything against the influx of refugees and are thus silenced as their dissent is racist and xenophobic.

Nice censorship you got there.

Well after some debate at the office, the consensus is that if it weren't for the Nazi's the Germans would still be able to hate openly. See thats what you get.

So, in other words. While the country is taking on a few hundred thousand refugees from Syria and the middle east, the people of Germany are not allowed to say anything against the influx of refugees and are thus silenced as their dissent is racist and xenophobic.

it's leftist mass media that currently forces their opinion on everyone. pretty much any online article about refugees (now called "protection seekers" in media because the german translation of "refugee" may have a too negative meaning in leftist minds) you are not allowed to comment. if you doubt that letting all that refugees in in an uncontrolled manner you are called "right-wing totalitarian angry mob". even the vice chancellor called protesters who were against refugee camps in their neighborhood "the mob". the censorship is ridiculous. it started with the civil unrest in the ukraine where 100% uniform opinions were published and continues with the migration of hundreds of thousands of refugees towards europe.

Should we start a german account and talk exclusively about the nazis and hitler? I'd love to see the fun that ensues.

Well after some debate at the office, the consensus is that if it weren't for the Nazi's the Germans would still be able to hate openly. See thats what you get.

Here's my question. Do you honestly think that people don't put Germany under the microscope?

This is a country easily triggered nerves within itself, never mind across Europe, over proposal to house some of the migrants at Buchenwald.

Nice argument you got there. The task really is how you go about to talk about the migrant issue without putting on the reich.

Simple minded comment but 100% true. Theres a no bullshit policy over there and a real aversion to any kind of cults or hate groups. One of the reasons Scientology is actually banned over there. Glorious.

it's leftist mass media that currently forces their opinion on everyone. pretty much any online article about refugees (now called "protection seekers" in media because the german translation of "refugee" may have a too negative meaning in leftist minds) you are not allowed to comment. if you doubt that letting all that refugees in in an uncontrolled manner you are called "right-wing totalitarian angry mob". even the vice chancellor called protesters who were against refugee camps in their neighborhood "the mob". the censorship is ridiculous. it started with the civil unrest in the ukraine where 100% uniform opinions were published and continues with the migration of hundreds of thousands of refugees towards europe.

Left? Last I check, CDU isn't left. American context doesn't translate well over the continent, although it makes me wonder if Mutti Merkel is eyeing getting a peace prize while getting attention from the still festering Greek bailout.

"Islam belongs to Germany" - Angela Merkel

:rolleyes:

In before kebab removal.

Should we start a german account and talk exclusively about the nazis and hitler? I'd love to see the fun that ensues.

Banhammer and being put to the dock at Nuremberg for violation of the basic law in 3, 2, 1...

Left? Last I check, CDU isn't left. American context doesn't translate well over the continent, although it makes me wonder if Mutti Merkel is eyeing getting a peace prize while getting attention from the still festering Greek bailout.

i said leftist mass media, not government. also, my context isn't american as i live in europe. it's gonna be interesting times. just a few days ago merkel said there was no price tag on human rights and no cap on the number of refugees to be let in and yesterday the borders to austria and subsequently austria's borders to hungary got closed. what a ridiculous situation. also, i think the thread is heading in a weird direction lol.

i said leftist mass media, not government. also, my context isn't american as i live in europe. it's gonna be interesting times. just a few days ago merkel said there was no price tag on human rights and no cap on the number of refugees to be let in and yesterday the borders to austria and subsequently austria's borders to hungary got closed. what a ridiculous situation. also, i think the thread is heading in a weird direction lol.

On the other hand, we have Turkey who's just watching this whole show, casually pointing out there some 4000 ISIS agents are coming in with this mass of migrants, as the continent tears itself out about how to deal with all of them now that Merkel's declared open borders and fair game.

This topic is kind of refreshing in a way. It does showcase how that it is impossible for any mainstream platform to operate impartially.

This is censorship and disenfranchising a significant portion of the German people. Of course there will be major social problems with allowing Islamists to immigrate into a country while discouraging assimilation via multiculturalism. Of course if you regard the average German as a simple peasant who should comply with their feudal lords than Facebook's policy makes sense.

Google "what is racism"

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race,

I don't even know what to say to that. It's worse then I thought. In the animal world, we call different looking types of the same genus, species. Yet to infer that there is ANY difference between different looking human beings is frowned upon.

Google "what is xenophobia"

intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.

Yet the word literally means "fear of the strange or foreign". They change it do dislike to make it encompassing. It's a critical change.

Google "what is arachnophobia"

extreme or irrational fear of spiders.

Notice, no mention of "dislike". Because lots of people dislike spiders. The word means fear of spiders.

Guys let me give you a lesson in what is racism and what is an opinion/choice.

Saying that you would never marry an Asian is a choice.
Saying that there should be laws prohibiting Asians from marrying other races is an opinion.
Voting for laws prohibiting Asians from marrying other races is racism.

Saying you do not like to work with Indians is an opinion.
Saying that companies should not hire Indians is an opinion.
As a hiring manager not hiring a person because they are Indian is racism.

Not hiring a Black plumber to fix your leaky faucet at your private house is a choice.
Keying the work truck of a black plumber because he's black is racist.

Saying that your daughter shouldn't marry a Filipino is an opinion.
Not attending your daughters wedding because she married a Filipino is a choice.
Beating up your daughters husband because he's Filipino is racism.

Do you see the difference here? Having an opinion or choosing to live your life a certain way is not racism. It's only when your choices DIRECTLY affect those people is it actually racism.

The word Xenophobia is a farce.

Saying that blind people should not drive is ________ ?
Voting to ban blind people from driving is __________?
Racism and discrimination is only bad if the general population is convinced that it's bad.

Google "what is racism"

Racism and discrimination is only bad if the general population is convinced that it's bad.

Careful here, because you are suggesting that only battery and/or assault against a targeted racial group can be certifiably racist. And if you're going to use the animal world, you should've at least have noted just how little genetics 'differ' from a Negro to a Hindu.

because nothing tends to dispel an ideas dark allure quite like banning it

Careful here, because you are suggesting that only battery and/or assault against a targeted racial group can be certifiably racist. And if you're going to use the animal world, you should've at least have noted just how little genetics 'differ' from a Negro to a Hindu.

Are the differences easily noticable to the naked eye?

Google "what is racism"

I don't even know what to say to that. It's worse then I thought. In the animal world, we call different looking types of the same genus, species. Yet to infer that there is ANY difference between different looking human beings is frowned upon.

Yet the word literally means "fear of the strange or foreign". They change it do dislike to make it encompassing. It's a critical change.

Notice, no mention of "dislike". Because lots of people dislike spiders. The word means fear of spiders.

Saying that there should be laws prohibiting Asians from marrying other races is an opinion.

Not hiring a Black plumber to fix your leaky faucet at your private house is a choice.

Not attending your daughters wedding because she married a Filipino is a choice.

Do you see the difference here? Having an opinion or choosing to live your life a certain way is not racism. It's only when your choices DIRECTLY affect those people is it actually racism.

Damn fine post. It's just another tool being created and used. They've gone so far as to even coin 'reverse racism,' as if racism can only be directed towards minorities.

hmm how's that going to work? auto delete reported posts? or are they going to employ somebody to check them once reported?

certain groups would have a field day if it auto deleted posts, just think of the devastation on the German board :eek:

Google "what is racism"

Your lesson is wrong. All of your examples are racism. The only difference in your examples are keeping racism inside your head, mild racism and not so mild racism. The "opinions" in your example are all racists opinions. You have already made a decision in your mind based on a person's race: RACISM. Just because you haven't acted on your racist opinion does NOT make the opinion NOT racist.

Your lesson is wrong. All of your examples are racism. The only difference in your examples are keeping racism inside your head, mild racism and not so mild racism. The "opinions" in your example are all racists opinions. You have already made a decision in your mind based on a person's race: RACISM. Just because you haven't acted on your racist opinion does NOT make the opinion NOT racist.

Naaa, your wrong, wrong because you have an overly idealistic and frankly unrealistic view of the human mind.

When it comes to race, most persons can not help but recognize race and difference. Recognizing difference, even racial difference, in one's mind is not some crime. Even to form an opinion that is based on these differences is not racist. But taking action based on these differences, and in particular, unfair action, that is racist. All the rest is over-idealistic fooling yourself.

Naaa, your wrong, wrong because you have an overly idealistic and frankly unrealistic view of the human mind.

When it comes to race, most persons can not help but recognize race and difference. Recognizing difference, even racial difference, in one's mind is not some crime. Even to form an opinion that is based on these differences is not racist. But taking action based on these differences, and in particular, unfair action, that is racist. All the rest is over-idealistic fooling yourself.

You are all too sanguine if you think that publishing an opinion is not considered "unfair." Actions through words have meaning. If not, then why would you target the scums such as Anjem Choudary (Pro-ISIS cleric 'spokesperson' in Britain) for issuing fatwas while lifting even one finger? Why would it be that you would suddenly be on edge over book burning?

When it comes to race, you are taught that difference. Let me tell you something. Back in the middle ages, the Moors certainly didn't have the 'taught' image that they have by this point in time. If you think that idea isn't something that has actual impact, then you clearly are overly idealistic to think that human actions are separate from their thoughts.

Racism is very simple, it is when someone considers another race inferior to their own. Disliking a cultural aspect of a race is not racism. I don't like Christianity, does that make me racist? Of course not!

Racism is very simple, it is when someone considers another race inferior to their own. Disliking a cultural aspect of a race is not racism. I don't like Christianity, does that make me racist? Of course not!

You aren't even discriminating against Christianity. Dawkins though is.

No, racism is racism, even if you don't take action. Like the awesome Avenue Q songs says "Everybody is a little bit racist, inside." I admit it, I am a little bit racist. I have stereotypes that exist in my head. What I try NOT to do is to not let my racist stereotypes negatively DISCRIMINATE.

it's funny how you say "wrong because you have an overly idealistic and frankly unrealistic view of the human mind." I don't think you understand what racism means. Rezerekted got some of it right, but by definition: "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. Even if you DO NOT ACT on the prejudice or discrimination it is STILL IN YOUR HEAD. To think that "I would never marry an Asian" is not racist it overly idealistic and unrealistic. Racism exists, even in good people. What separates good ppl from bad ppl is whether or not they let their thoughts actually manifest into action.

"Islam belongs to Germany" - Angela Merkel

:rolleyes:

Strange how I believe her party is called the christian democrats which is rather a oxymoron.

True German's can't say a damn thing about anything without being damned and called bigots.
If you cannot freely speak your mind then you don't have freedom.

Whoops, that should say "What I try NOT to do is let my racist stereotypes negatively DISCRIMINATE.

Every single human being alive displays signs of in-group bias (AKA 'unconscious discrimination', matching color bias, and/or racism (to some degree)) and is well established in behavioral science, and it has its roots long long ago, in humanity’s tribal era. The fact is, the people in your own band are more likely to nurture you, care for you and protect you from harm, while the people from the tribe over the hill are more likely to, well, eat you.

Even adult people that claimed they didn't do this, through tests, were confirmed to have this as well, this shits been studied! Even on babies.

EVERYONE IS 'RACIST' (everyone thinks their own kind is the best kind), in their own ways, period!

The real problem I see is that more white people are on top on this planet than everyone else so they all (a very large chunk anyway) band together to blame whitey, for everything. I seriously don't know why whites keep letting people in their borders from other tribes when all they're ever going to do is cry their way all the way up to your top.They want what they think you all have, IMO.

Take a test here

EVERYONE IS 'RACIST' (everyone thinks their own kind is the best kind), in their own ways, period!

The real problem I see is that more white people are on top on this planet than everyone else so they all (a very large chunk anyway) band together to blame whitey, for everything. I seriously don't know why whites keep letting people in their borders from other tribes when all they're ever going to do is cry their way all the way up to your top.They want what they think you all have, IMO.

Take a test here

This is also coupled with Islamic population's double standards over how it refuses to embrace the values of their new home and how some of them press their own value on the general populace. It doesn't even have to press sharia to earn the scorn of the continental "European" come to think of it. The Romani "Gypsies" and the Jews didn't even need to do that for them to be singled out, did they?

Google "what is racism"

I'm guessing you are a white male, late thirties to early forties?

Racism is defined correctly by Google. Assumption that all people of a certain race possess attributes, good or bad.

Racism does not require action. Racism only requires opinion. If you have the opinion that a certain race is inferior, then you are a racist. Simple.

Blindness is a disability, by definition it is a reduction of ability. It is unfortunate, but nobody objects to ban someone who has medical confirmation of a lack of an ability to perform dangerous tasks that require said ability.

Race is not a disability. The fact that you compare the two for arguments sake is a bit telling of your prejudices.

Back