Enermax Zero Delay Power Monitoring System Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Enermax Zero Delay Power Monitoring System Review - One area that has been somewhat overlooked when it comes to PC desktop system power supplies is monitoring software. There have been some attempts in the past, but those have been somewhat anemic. Enermax is looking to change that with its new Zero Delay Power Monitoring System.

It would be very nice to have a monitoring software, but didn't quite understood:
Can this software be used by those who doesn't own an Enermax PSU?
From what i understood, only the Enermax Digi is being supported so far?:confused:

It doesnt look like the Enermax PSU is properly supported either!
Most disappointing.
My initial feeling about this is that it is a partial scam.

If I am not mistaken, the Corsair AXi series has a very similar tool, the Corsair-Link system which allow you to really fine tune many aspects of their PSUs, right?

So we can exclude the ZDPMS from being a general PSU monitor software:(
Too bad, i had high hopes when i read the review's title!! :(

id like to see something like this as a 5.25" bay drive with universal PSU support.

a bit surprised to see a PSU company offering this, since most people greatly overshoot their PSU needs (gtx960 and 2 HDDs? better get a 850w PSU:rolleyes:) which id assume is a nice source of income.

i have an old coolermaster 450w PSU that came with a 3.5" bay wattage meter. thing was cool.

It would be very nice to have a monitoring software, but didn't quite understood:
Can this software be used by those who doesn't own an Enermax PSU?
From what i understood, only the Enermax Digi is being supported so far?:confused:

From page 1:

"So far, the only product in retail channels that supports the ZDPMS is the Digifanless 550W so much of the information pertaining to this software is deeply intertwined with that product."

So we can exclude the ZDPMS from being a general PSU monitor software:(
Too bad, i had high hopes when i read the review's title!! :(

To be fair, this may be due to lacking a framework in Windows for that. Last I knew, the closest Windows came to a framework for hardware monitoring logic was to categorize "SM Bus controller" devices. It was then up to third-party apps to encapsulate knowledge about what monitoring chips lived at what slave addresses on a given I2C/SM bus and how to access them. FreeBSD/Linux at least abstract this behind an "hwmon" subsystem, but this still doesn't give you standardized control knobs for, say, the 12V rail configuration.

Hardware monitoring tech like Enermax's ZDPMS don't even use host-software-visible I2C buses--they piggyback on USB HID protocol with some custom vendor-defined usage pages. At the very least, HID devices enumerate a little better, although I know from experience that the Enermax DigiFanless controller enumerates like shit (bare minimum device enumeration, with subpar device property enumeration). :rolleyes:

On a side note, I will say that if you know how to query it, the hardware does actually report two 12V rail property sets (both voltage and current), although if you set it to single-rail mode, it seems to report meaningless, infinitesimal-but-nonzero values for the second rail. Furthermore, the reported voltages for the two 12V rails never seem to differ, so for all I know the controller is just replicating the voltage reading from one rail to the other.

Covered in the review.

Yes it got one sentence on the first page, which I missed.

The Corsair link was discussed in pretty good detail in the review of the AXi 1500 but has not been seen or heard from since.

Soz wasnt trying to be mean, just straight forward :)
I got my ass handed to me the other day when I asked a similar question that was also in the review.

Back