Xbox One November Update Adds New Dashboard And Backward Compatibility

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I am looking forward to the Xbox One’s dashboard overhaul. It looks like it’ll resemble the Xbox app on Windows 10, and I hope it is just as responsive. The November update will also bring backward compatibility, so you can revisit titles such as Halo: Reach and Perfect Dark.

The New Xbox One Experience will be powered by Windows 10, elevating the gaming experience on Xbox One. Integrating the speed of Windows 10, the New Xbox One Experience will get you to popular gaming features up to 50 percent faster. Instantly start a party, see what your friends are playing, and get updates to your recently played games from Home with no wait time. We’ll also be delivering your most requested feature – Xbox One Backward Compatibility.

hoping to get into the beta for this soon. Would like to see these changes.

It looks really good, lines up timing wise for about when I'm planning to get one. That said, I really wish Sony would overhaul the PS4 UI. I really don't understand how they managed to make it so much worse than the PS3. It is just a convoluted mess that makes zero sense.

I like the dashboard that they have now. It is not slow no matter what others may say. However, I am also on the preview program so I might have a better system than the non preview users. That said, I am also looking forward to the improvements that Microsoft is bringing. I have had my unit since early January 2014 and use it everyday.

Whether I game on it, play blurays, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video or live TV, I gets lots of use in my house. Oh yeah: GO BILLS!

I like the dashboard that they have now. It is not slow no matter what others may say. However, I am also on the preview program so I might have a better system than the non preview users.

What is the context of the word "system" here?? Enquiring minds want to know!

What is the context of the word "system" here?? Enquiring minds want to know!

The XBox One software and hardware of course. Preview users getting the latest stuff earlier than those who are not on the preview program. What else would it be?

I like the dashboard that they have now. It is not slow no matter what others may say. However, I am also on the preview program so I might have a better system than the non preview users. That said, I am also looking forward to the improvements that Microsoft is bringing. I have had my unit since early January 2014 and use it everyday.

Whether I game on it, play blurays, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video or live TV, I gets lots of use in my house. Oh yeah: GO BILLS!

Having the preview version doesn't make your system any higher spec than anyone else magically. Just means that we get early access to dash board updates and features. If anything I would expect our systems to be a tad slower as the code wouldn't be as fully optimized and bug free. That said, I only notice a few things to be slow. snapping some apps for example takes a little bit of time such as achievements. But overall I don't find much of the system to be slow unless I am just use to the speed of it by now.

I would like a few things to be fixed up some, however from the day one dashboard to now they have been tweaking it enough that it is nice where they have it now. But like you said, am looking forward to the new features.

One again, the Xbox One keeps getting better and better. Good show.

I know that a lot of people here are happy with their Xbox One but nobody else seeing the stratify that's going on with the machine. Not talking about the Xbox One hardware sales, cause they're still respectable at the moment.

Batman: Arkham Knight PS4 - 2.36
Batman: Arkham Knight Xbox One - 0.89m

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt PS4 - 2.21m
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Xbox One - 0.76m
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt PC - ~1.3m

GTAV PS4 - 7.45m
GTAV Xbox One - 3.11m
GTAV PC - ~4m <- really hard to get accurate data on this

Except for GTAV the sales of the PS4 vs XB1 are screwed to their hardware presence on the market. The Xbox One has more than half the hardware sales of the PS4 but less than half the sales in games. Xbox One update is meant to capture that audience back but I think a good deal of Xbox One owners abandoned their console. The game sales should be much higher if people are actively using their Xbox One.

one of the major issues I have with it, it can take a bit if in a game and launch the party app, or even some of the snap things while in a game.

I know that a lot of people here are happy with their Xbox One but nobody else seeing the stratify that's going on with the machine. Not talking about the Xbox One hardware sales, cause they're still respectable at the moment.

Batman: Arkham Knight PS4 - 2.36
Batman: Arkham Knight Xbox One - 0.89m

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt PS4 - 2.21m
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Xbox One - 0.76m
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt PC - ~1.3m

GTAV PS4 - 7.45m
GTAV Xbox One - 3.11m
GTAV PC - ~4m <- really hard to get accurate data on this

Except for GTAV the sales of the PS4 vs XB1 are screwed to their hardware presence on the market. The Xbox One has more than half the hardware sales of the PS4 but less than half the sales in games. Xbox One update is meant to capture that audience back but I think a good deal of Xbox One owners abandoned their console. The game sales should be much higher if people are actively using their Xbox One.

I'm one of those spoiled adults that bought both at launch and pretty much haven't touched my Xbox One until last week for Rare Replay. The PS4 is just a meant for gaming console. It's pretty much the easiest one to use right now and its hardware comes in a much more compact and easy to move size. The interface on both these consoles suck but the PS4 is the lesser of the two evils in my opinion. Aside from the fact that 99% of the games I buy are on PC there have just been better exclusives on the PS4 and once those exclusives got me in the beginning, I just began buying everything strictly for PS4 for convenience.

The issues with XB1 I see are this.

-Microsoft largely fucked up their E3 announcement. I mean we all know it was one of the biggest screw ups in console launch history. The coffin was basically being assembled at this point.

-It was not marketed as a gaming console, why? It took months after E3 for Microsoft to completely backtrack their strategy and go back to saying it was a gaming console. Sony knew that and completely destroyed Microsoft in terms of marketing the PS4 as a gaming console.

-Bundling, why oh why would Microsoft bundle that worthless Kinect with the Xbone? This jacked the price up by $100 over the PS4 which further increased customer hesitation to buying this "multimedia" device.

-Pay 2 Use? Everything on the Xbox One was originally behind their paywall aka Xbox Live Gold and I mean EVERYTHING. From Hulu to Netflix to Twitch streaming service, all of this required gold one thing the PS4 greatly countered off of with their marketing of delivering free or already paid for services without a paywall and bundling much better offers with their PSN+ subscription. Microsoft eventually realized their mistake but the coffin had already been nailed.

-Lack of great early titles or exclusives. Most fans were still feeding off the post E3 hype/dismay which swayed a large crowd of potential XBoned owners to the PS4. Both consoles had pretty lackluster launch but the payoff came through towards the months after. In my opinion PS4 just ended up having more solid exclusives early on to help push people over that cliff of buying a console.

-Hardware. From early on reports suggested that the PS4 was out performing the X1. From load times to framerate and even resolution it was suggested that the X1 is being held back somehow. This was a bad sign and probably the 3rd proverbial nail in the coffin for this console. Microsoft nearly pulled a dreamcast with this launch and anything they do now is too little too late. Anyone who was already on the edge of buying got a PS4 and those who got PS4s early on told their friends to get PS4s and so on and so forth so that they could enjoy the consoles together.

Better luck next time

It comes down to what games you're playing and what platform you have people playing them on. The Xbox One is not a straight gaming console. It's a media system and that's the angle Microsoft went with it. I know more people on the Xbox than Playstation, so between that and having access to Halo and Gears of War, XB1 won out. The hardware between both is pretty similar, but that doesn't mean the execution needs to be.

Additionally, I only finally got a 1080p HDTV this year. I know this forum has a lot of techies, but how many people have a 1080p or higher resolution HDTV with their console? I mean, it's not a challenge to find a 32" 720p HDTV under $200 at Wal-Mart. I play games because they're fun, and if they have OMGBBQWTF!!!!!! graphics, that's icing on the cake.

I'm not saying criticisms aren't valid. I don't buy into claims of doom before they're realized. If I found Playstation titles I was really invested in with my PS3, I would've gone that route or worked to have both like how I have both a Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

The Xbox Two and Playstation 5 or whatever they're called haven't been leaked, so calling victory a year and a half in to their life cycle seems premature. Your numbers also just show certain game sales, and don't show them comparative to the number of consoles.

Sony has a stronger marketing presence, plain and simple. Every time a see a commercial for a new game the PS4 version is usually displayed prominently. I remember buying Destiny at a local game store, where most of us were buying the PS4 version, and another customer proclaimed that they had no idea it was also on XBONE. I think the disparity between the numbers of Arkham Knight also speak to this, with PS4 exclusive features being touted ad nauseam.

I like the system, I game on it mostly but secondary I use it as a media center and blu ray player (as i had no previous blu ray player on pc or otherwise). I played on my friends ps4 and really see more of a difference between models of tvs than I do the console. Most of my friends were on xbox and I had a great experience with xb1 and xb360 so I stayed with a service I was happy with. Yes it has inferior hardware, but I game on a core2quad so it was an upgrade lol.

The XBox One software and hardware of course. Preview users getting the latest stuff earlier than those who are not on the preview program. What else would it be?

Hardware is exactly the same (unless you're running some new Microsoft hardware build). Software is a bit newer of a build as far as dashboard and things go. So, it's just the software...

The Xbox One has really grown since it was released and continues to bring new things. It's a lot more than just games these days. I still want a PS4, but the Xbox One has really exceeded my expectations (I bought it to play a few games, I use it daily for games, movies, shows, football, etc.). I have no regrets on my purchase!

Xbox One update is meant to capture that audience back but I think a good deal of Xbox One owners abandoned their console. The game sales should be much higher if people are actively using their Xbox One.

Sorry but moving a few menus around in a dashboard update isn't going to make the games better or "recapture" anyone. The die is cast.

Only a destroyer of worlds exclusive killer title would do that, and there's nothing like that on the horizon. Halo 5 sure isn't it.

I'm one of those spoiled adults that bought both at launch and pretty much haven't touched my Xbox One until last week for Rare Replay. The PS4 is just a meant for gaming console. It's pretty much the easiest one to use right now and its hardware comes in a much more compact and easy to move size. The interface on both these consoles suck but the PS4 is the lesser of the two evils in my opinion. Aside from the fact that 99% of the games I buy are on PC there have just been better exclusives on the PS4 and once those exclusives got me in the beginning, I just began buying everything strictly for PS4 for convenience.

The issues with XB1 I see are this.

-Microsoft largely fucked up their E3 announcement. I mean we all know it was one of the biggest screw ups in console launch history. The coffin was basically being assembled at this point.

-It was not marketed as a gaming console, why? It took months after E3 for Microsoft to completely backtrack their strategy and go back to saying it was a gaming console. Sony knew that and completely destroyed Microsoft in terms of marketing the PS4 as a gaming console.

-Bundling, why oh why would Microsoft bundle that worthless Kinect with the Xbone? This jacked the price up by $100 over the PS4 which further increased customer hesitation to buying this "multimedia" device.

-Pay 2 Use? Everything on the Xbox One was originally behind their paywall aka Xbox Live Gold and I mean EVERYTHING. From Hulu to Netflix to Twitch streaming service, all of this required gold one thing the PS4 greatly countered off of with their marketing of delivering free or already paid for services without a paywall and bundling much better offers with their PSN+ subscription. Microsoft eventually realized their mistake but the coffin had already been nailed.

-Lack of great early titles or exclusives. Most fans were still feeding off the post E3 hype/dismay which swayed a large crowd of potential XBoned owners to the PS4. Both consoles had pretty lackluster launch but the payoff came through towards the months after. In my opinion PS4 just ended up having more solid exclusives early on to help push people over that cliff of buying a console.

-Hardware. From early on reports suggested that the PS4 was out performing the X1. From load times to framerate and even resolution it was suggested that the X1 is being held back somehow. This was a bad sign and probably the 3rd proverbial nail in the coffin for this console. Microsoft nearly pulled a dreamcast with this launch and anything they do now is too little too late. Anyone who was already on the edge of buying got a PS4 and those who got PS4s early on told their friends to get PS4s and so on and so forth so that they could enjoy the consoles together.

Better luck next time

I have had both for quite a while, I find myself using my Xbox One quite a bit more than my PS4. I personally love the Kinect and the multimedia features. I also find it odd the Xbox One plays blu rays a lot better than the PS4 which seems to have audio issues with it's optical output. It really is just a matter of opinion I have the same game for both consoles and if there is a difference in gameplay I have yet to notice. To each their own I guess.

Back