What Ever Happened To Google Books?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Is Google Books another Google project that will be forgotten and shut down? The book-scanning project started over a decade ago but after millions of books, it’s now in limbo.

The problems began with a classic culture clash when, in 2002, Google began just scanning books, either hoping that the idealism of the project would win everyone over or following the mantra that it is always easier to get forgiveness than permission. That approach didn’t go over well with authors and publishers, who sued for copyright infringement.

If a publisher/author can't be bother to keep a work in print, then they should lose the copyright. Just another case of people worried about losing sales that never existed in the first place.

If a publisher/author can't be bother to keep a work in print, then they should lose the copyright. Just another case of people worried about losing sales that never existed in the first place.

I agree with that you're saying and think every book should be digital and I really loved this idea. The problem is, and it was easy to spot a mile off, that Google would somehow monetize this and pay zero for much of the source material.

How did google monetize it? I downloaded some books from google and never paid in any way. I get most of my books from https://www.gutenberg.org/ which is still operating.

The problem is publishers want to go back in time and re-establish copyright on books that are out of copyright because they are greedy fucks.

How did google monetize it? I downloaded some books from google and never paid in any way. I get most of my books from https://www.gutenberg.org/ which is still operating.

The problem is publishers want to go back in time and re-establish copyright on books that are out of copyright because they are greedy fucks.

I said IF they were to monetize it.

And with Google. Why the hell wouldn't you digitize everything BUT only make available the items that there is no issue with.

As an investment in the future, assuming the rights owners in the future would come around to reasonable accommodation? It's not called an "investment" for it's health, you invest the time and effort and hope it pays off.

Not to mention, they could have worked a deal with the Library of Congress and National Archive .... who have the LEGAL RIGHT to keep a copy but don't for everything because they have limited resources. Win Win if there ever was one.

Sometimes the "Genius'" at Google aren't very smart. :eek::rolleyes:

And with Google. Why the hell wouldn't you digitize everything BUT only make available the items that there is no issue with.

As an investment in the future, assuming the rights owners in the future would come around to reasonable accommodation? It's not called an "investment" for it's health, you invest the time and effort and hope it pays off.

Not to mention, they could have worked a deal with the Library of Congress and National Archive .... who have the LEGAL RIGHT to keep a copy but don't for everything because they have limited resources. Win Win if there ever was one.

Sometimes the "Genius'" at Google aren't very smart. :eek::rolleyes:

Theyre running a business. You don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate for a reason.

I love google books and have read tons of great stuff there. I have dloaded a ton of ancient blacksmithing not available any other place.

Thanks for the gutenberg link I just found a bunch of god stuff there as well.

Back