Dell Is Also Building Its Own Microsoft Surface Clone

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
First it was Lenovo, and now Dell looks to be creating its own version of the Surface. This one happens to have a 4K screen.

There'll be a stylus for it, and other specs include a Thunderbolt 3 port, 10-hour battery life, and cameras on both back and front (8-megapixel on the rear, with a 5-megapixel selfie cam). Unfortunately this leak doesn't offer us any specifics about the XPS 12's processor, nor the amount of RAM inside. But with both this and Microsoft's Surface Pro 4 around the corner, it's shaping up to be a pretty great fall for Windows 10.

Hopefully it will be better than their last tablets. I really like my Pro3 but wish it had a Broadwell chip

If they are smart they'll use the same team that produced the new XPS13

I like to hear this. I LOVE my Dell Venue 8 Pro specs and construction. If I can get a Dell with the power of the SP tablets and their great construction it would be a nobrainer.

Looks like an interesting device. But Dell, can you find something better than those Synaptics pens? I assume that have improved but the one in the my Dell Venue 8 Pro is simply horrible.

a clone like the ipad pro? :D:D

In fairness, I don't think that's a completely accurate way to look at it. I think the market reaction to the Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 line certainly was a key motivation behind the Apple coming to market with the iPad Pro along with big declines in iPad sales and selling prices. But one is a mobile OS based machine and the other a desktop OS based machine and thus they are fundamentally different.

Looks like an interesting device. But Dell, can you find something better than those Synaptics pens? I assume that have improved but the one in the my Dell Venue 8 Pro is simply horrible.

It's great at eating batteries.

Most tablets 16:10? Is that the complaint? I know my V8P is 16:10.

To work well as a tablet in both landscape and portrait mode, the closer the aspect ration is to 1 to 1, typically the better as you don't end up with a device that becomes oddly long and narrow in portrait mode. On a device the size of the V8P, it would be a big deal if it were 16:9. For something the size of this Dell, it's going to be very awkward in portrait orientation. However if that screen is as good as the other edge to edge screens Dell has been putting out with over 8 million pixels I think many will overlook this issue. I would. The problem for me is that Synaptics pen.

You know, I have a Surface Pro and I'll be honest, 2560x1440 on that small of a screen can be an issue sometimes. I couldn't imagine 4K on 11-13 screens being all that pleasant.

You know, I have a Surface Pro and I'll be honest, 2560x1440 on that small of a screen can be an issue sometimes. I couldn't imagine 4K on 11-13 screens being all that pleasant.

I have an SP3 as well, and yes there are issues will scaling with lots of desktop apps. It's just amazing how many just have no notion of scaling. There's even some modern apps that have a problem with it, though the number is way smaller than the issues I've seen with desktop apps and I use a lot of modern apps.

This is just one of those things were developers are going to have to get off their buts and start thinking about scaling.

As this is a x86 convertible/hybrid, something that's been around long before the iPad, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

Apple invented the tablet in 2010.
Microsoft copied Apple in 2002.

I don't think you even understand iTime.

Good God man, how many tablets do you have?

Back