Sony Changes Stance On Waterproof Phones: Do Not Use Underwater

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This is kind of weird because Xperia marketing typically presents photos that show the phones or tablets being submerged underwater. I guess owners should think twice before using one around a pool or in heavy rain.

If you head over to Sony Mobile’s support page on water and dust protection, you will find several statements on Sony’s new policy including: “Remember not to use the device underwater” and “The IP rating of your device was achieved in laboratory conditions in standby mode, so you should not use the device underwater, such as taking pictures.”

Little late Sony, just killed mine last week because you said it was waterproof and it was for about 2 minutes....

Seriously? Sony needs to cough up to replace them all. Actually, they owe refunds to anyone who bought them because they could be used underwater.

How does stupid stuff like this happen and make it through marketing, corporate, etc.?

I took my Galaxy S5 underwater and took videos in the Bahamas and such. Was awesome.
Of course now my phone is a flakey POS, so maybe they were lying too!

I took my Galaxy S5 underwater and took videos in the Bahamas and such. Was awesome.

I dropped my Galaxy S5 in the yard when getting out of my car the one night. It rained all night. Didn't find my phone till the next day.

Pretty sure I ran over it with my car at least once.

I did have to take off the back cover to clean all the mud out of it.. but nothing got past the o-ring.

Still works fine. This was at least 6 months ago.

S5 claimed to be water resistant, not water proof. If you actually read the spec sheet it is something like 2 inches of water for a very short period of time - basically if you drop your phone in a puddle it won't fry...

Unless the damn thing is inside a sealed pelican case, unprotected/unshielded electronics and water DO NOT mix.

Seriously? Sony needs to cough up to replace them all. Actually, they owe refunds to anyone who bought them because they could be used underwater.

How does stupid stuff like this happen and make it through marketing, corporate, etc.?

Pretty much. Not the first time they've done this sort of thing. My old rear-projection LCD is a prime example. Was supposed to be one of the last television (Sony marketing said it was THE last television you'll ever own) you own and on paper, yeah - it would seem that this could be true.

But whoops - Sony engineers didn't take into effect the long-term effects of high-intensity ultraviolet light being pummeled onto the optical block. So what happens? A ton of them go defective. And people are still suing Sony over the matter and actually winning.

I know that Sony is in dire straights but they deserve every bit of the shit pile that they're in. They need to die as a corporation because time and time they have shown that they have not a care for their customers. Promise them the moon, charge them the extra cost, and under-deliver like a motherfucker; all while deflecting any responsibility. Who cares if we lied about the product, it was their fault! In one of the cases regarding the television I mentioned, the Sony lawyer started telling the judge that (in a nutshell) the televisions were defective and that it is a known problem. To which the judge asked "How is that HER fault?" (referring to the customer/plaintiff).

Don't get me wrong. I love my Sony CRT's. It's proof that they can make some good shit, when they feel so inclined. But as a company, they're dirt. Sony, if you're reading this - fuck you.

That's too bad. I really like my Z3 Compact Tablet, but they flat out advertised these things as waterproof, and that was a huge differentiating feature for many buyers. They need a class action suit if they expect to sell the goods, then walk back the use cases after the fact.

It's water-resistant. Call it what it is. Waterproof implies that something is completely impervious to water.

It's water-resistant. Call it what it is. Waterproof implies that something is completely impervious to water.

It's specifically advertised as waterproof, and it specifies the rating and quantifies exactly what that means on their own website.

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/xperia/technologies/waterproof/

Our smartphones and tablets carry a rating of IP65 and IP68, the highest level of waterproofing and dust resistance available. Able to withstand immersion into 4.9ft of fresh water for up to 30 minutes, experience resilience like never before.

Able to withstand immersion into 4.9ft of fresh water for up to 30 minutes, experience resilience like never before.[/I]
Yet every single one of those advertising shots showing someone taking a picture underwater are very obviously deeper than 4.9 feet.

I actually use my Z2 to take pictures around the pool quite a bit this summer. I had no problems with it in my pocket going around the lazy river in my neighborhood.

I actually use my Z2 to take pictures around the pool quite a bit this summer. I had no problems with it in my pocket going around the lazy river in my neighborhood.

You have a lazy river in your neighborhood? :eek:

Can I come over and play? I'll bring the beer... :cool:

Pretty much. Not the first time they've done this sort of thing. My old rear-projection LCD is a prime example. Was supposed to be one of the last television (Sony marketing said it was THE last television you'll ever own) you own and on paper, yeah - it would seem that this could be true.

But whoops - Sony engineers didn't take into effect the long-term effects of high-intensity ultraviolet light being pummeled onto the optical block. So what happens? A ton of them go defective. And people are still suing Sony over the matter and actually winning.

I know that Sony is in dire straights but they deserve every bit of the shit pile that they're in. They need to die as a corporation because time and time they have shown that they have not a care for their customers. Promise them the moon, charge them the extra cost, and under-deliver like a motherfucker; all while deflecting any responsibility. Who cares if we lied about the product, it was their fault! In one of the cases regarding the television I mentioned, the Sony lawyer started telling the judge that (in a nutshell) the televisions were defective and that it is a known problem. To which the judge asked "How is that HER fault?" (referring to the customer/plaintiff).

Don't get me wrong. I love my Sony CRT's. It's proof that they can make some good shit, when they feel so inclined. But as a company, they're dirt. Sony, if you're reading this - fuck you.

Sounds like my old SXRD

Sony's cameras are amazing and actually shaking up the industry right now with their full frame mirrorless ones. Like most Japanese companies though their corporate management tends to insulate itself from reality with the sound of its own voice.

You have a lazy river in your neighborhood? :eek:

Can I come over and play? I'll bring the beer... :cool:

Lol, yea. One of the perks of living in a master planned community and having to deal with a crazy strict HOA is that I get a few resort style water parks. It also has some pretty decent water slides too.

I tested the "waterproofness" of my Z1 compact in a glass of water when I first bought it. The phone failed miserably. Fortunately I was able to return it at the store for a brand new replacement.

I really like the idea of a compact, waterproof, full-featured phone with a great camera, but I do feel like I was seriously mislead on the waterproofing. :mad:

I've used my Z3V underwater in the ocean, a pool, and the shower... I'll keep use moderate, but I don't think I'll stop using it underwater entirely.

Yes, some of the very best. Unfortunately, most people, outside of Europe, have no clue because Samsung and Apple are all we ever see in the media.

Sony making good phones is 100% a personal opinion.

On my personal list, Sony and Samsung are at the bottom along with various no name chinese manufacturers.

Back