Apple and Adobe Are Creepy, Tone-Deaf, And Icky?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Can someone explain to me what is so "creepy, tone-deaf and icky" about this demonstration put on by Adobe at the Apple event? I honestly don't know what people are bitching about.

Today, Adobe used its portion of the Apple event to demonstrate an impressive suite of apps that allow iPad Pro users to manipulate and layout images and text. But the way they did it was creepy and tone-deaf. They could have manipulated any photo, and they chose a woman's face. With a twist of the finger, the Adobe demonstrator manipulated her relaxed lips into a smile. It was heckling reimagined as art, and it was icky. That the audience applauded for glamour photoshopping didn't help.

Obviously, because they chose a woman's photo. If they had done it to a man's photo nothing would have been said.

So..... I guess i fail at feminism. totally didn't think that as misogynistic, at all.

The whole point of academia is to think up things nobody else would think up. . . and then try to argue that what you've thought up is actually very, very important. Despite it being so unimportant and/or ridiculous that nobody had considered it previously.

For example: Featuring an attractive woman on a magazine cover mock-up and using software to make her smile.

There's nothing wrong with that. But you can get a PhD for inventing reasons why it's downright evil.

Way too many people have solutions in search of a problem ... sometimes a cigar is just a cigar (as the apocryphal saying goes) ;)

This "controversy" paints a pretty clear picture of who is either clickbaiting and/or rabid SJWs and who is rational. Sadly, there seems to be far more of the first group. Well, it's also about Apple and therefore apparently by default worthy of a headline, no matter how asinine.

I don't know, I think "tone deaf" works for Adobe for reasons totally unrelated to the dumb ones the author is talking about.

The people who complain about this stuff are the problem. They think their insanity is the way things should be.

Great, now they're going to force all productivity programs to be phone/tablet based. Even though you'd save a crap ton of time with a mouse, keyboard and proper UI.

Of course Apple and Adobe Are Creepy, Tone-Deaf, And Icky.

How else could any rational person describe them :)

And do WOMEN still BUY of their OWN FREE WILL all those GLAMOUR MAGAZINES with all the unrealistically pretty PHOTOSHOPPED WOMEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Who do they think works up all those photos? That every single picture in those mags is somehow by the natural and universal virtue of feminism edited only by WOMEN?

Who gets offended by something like this, and why? I can't even draw a line between point A (lets make woman smile more) and point B (offending some stereotype of... what?).

*Lost, confused and still looking for where the give-a-damn meter is misplaced, let alone what it says*

Most extremists create an agenda just to seek attention because without their opinionated blather, they feel their lives would otherwise be meaningless. At that point it becomes a duty to create drama in order to stave off their depression and anxiety.

Most extremists create an agenda just to seek attention because without their opinionated blather, they feel their lives would otherwise be meaningless. At that point it becomes a duty to create drama in order to stave off their depression and anxiety.
That, or keep their paychecks coming. SJW'ing is its own industry these days.

Sjws perpetually offended by everything as usual. I'm amazed they didn't throw the wayyyciss tag in there for good measure, nothing stifles a good debate, like over-used cliches such as that. Next up, white page backgrounds are wayyciss.

Well, yeah. As so many have already pointed out, it's The Verge. Want to talk about creepy, tone-deaf, and icky, there's your site.

Well, yeah. As so many have already pointed out, it's The Verge. Want to talk about creepy, tone-deaf, and icky, there's your site.

Well, pretty much any website that presents a perspective someone disagrees with should be called out with insults. I mean like, who would ever look inside instead to question their own thoughts when they can be 100% sure that the people they disagree with are totally wrong. It's pretty much a given that a random person who's never been published or anything that posts stuff on the Internets can't possibly be incorrect. :p

What's more icky is Apple pretending the iPad pro is for professionals. You're are a creative at a magazine or agency and are going to be editing on an iPad? Really?

What's more icky is Apple pretending the iPad pro is for professionals. You're are a creative at a magazine or agency and are going to be editing on an iPad? Really?

Maybe if you plug a mouse, keyboard, and monitor into it, if that is even possible. I get a lot of people who want to buy laptops, because they think that laptops are better in every way than desktops, which is the opposite of the truth. They are only better in terms of portability. It's the same with wifi, people think it's better because "it's wireless!". It is only better if you need portability or convenience, it is worse in every other way. These are illusions created by marketing teams.

Wouldn't it have been easier to have her smile in the first place?

Maybe if you plug a mouse, keyboard, and monitor into it, if that is even possible. I get a lot of people who want to buy laptops, because they think that laptops are better in every way than desktops, which is the opposite of the truth. They are only better in terms of portability. It's the same with wifi, people think it's better because "it's wireless!". It is only better if you need portability or convenience, it is worse in every other way. These are illusions created by marketing teams.

to borrow a quote from Chuang-tse, "It is useless to you only because you want to make it into something else and do not use it in its proper way." ... laptops are better than desktops if portability is your primary concern ... a desktop is useless if you have three back to back meetings in opposite corners of the building and need to present in each one ;)

Tablets also have their uses ... I can't say whether the perceived market for this tablet is valid or not but tablets in certain use conditions are superior to laptops, just as laptops are superior to desktops in the right circumstances, and desktops superior to everything in the right conditions (nothing is superior in ALL conditions) ... use conditions are everything, there is no product (at this time) that gives maximum performance, maximum portability, and maximum flexibility (although as technology continues to improve we may get closer to that) ... note that a specialized device is almost always superior to a general purpose device (in terms of performance in its specialized niche) :cool:

to borrow a quote from Chuang-tse, "It is useless to you only because you want to make it into something else and do not use it in its proper way." ... laptops are better than desktops if portability is your primary concern ... a desktop is useless if you have three back to back meetings in opposite corners of the building and need to present in each one ;)

Tablets also have their uses ... I can't say whether the perceived market for this tablet is valid or not but tablets in certain use conditions are superior to laptops, just as laptops are superior to desktops in the right circumstances, and desktops superior to everything in the right conditions (nothing is superior in ALL conditions) ... use conditions are everything, there is no product (at this time) that gives maximum performance, maximum portability, and maximum flexibility (although as technology continues to improve we may get closer to that) ... note that a specialized device is almost always superior to a general purpose device (in terms of performance in its specialized niche) :cool:

I did not say they were useless, only that if your computer is going to sit on a desk it's entire life you should get a desktop because it is better in every way in that situation, but the perception is that laptops are faster and better. They're not, only more portable. Tablets have their uses too, but again people think they are better in every way because Apple tells them they are. I was talking about perception vs reality, not use case.

The whole point of academia is to think up things nobody else would think up. . . and then try to argue that what you've thought up is actually very, very important. Despite it being so unimportant and/or ridiculous that nobody had considered it previously.

For example: Featuring an attractive woman on a magazine cover mock-up and using software to make her smile.

There's nothing wrong with that. But you can get a PhD for inventing reasons why it's downright evil.

Not really academics this time, just Feminists and their white knights looking for something to complain about on Twitter and Tumblr. Some of them also tried to play upset because of the rose iPhone because they assumed it was pink and marketed towards women. At least most people didn't cosign that too.

Did a grown ass man who claims to be a journalist really use "icky" in an article?

Why can't these oversensitive PC SJW's and beta males just go one day without being offended? Either group won't be happy until everything is destroyed.

And do WOMEN still BUY of their OWN FREE WILL all those GLAMOUR MAGAZINES with all the unrealistically pretty PHOTOSHOPPED WOMEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Who do they think works up all those photos? That every single picture in those mags is somehow by the natural and universal virtue of feminism edited only by WOMEN?

Who gets offended by something like this, and why? I can't even draw a line between point A (lets make woman smile more) and point B (offending some stereotype of... what?).

*Lost, confused and still looking for where the give-a-damn meter is misplaced, let alone what it says*

Haven't you heard? It's the latest manifestation of the patriarchy. Females are told all their lives (mostly by icky men) that they should smile. It makes them prettier, which makes the Patriarchs happy. Since being pretty is the only thing the patriarchy thinks women are good for, female+smile=oppression.

How else can they keep up the fight for special claims on society's resources and attention but to keep discovering new crimes and injecting them into the public consciousness?

I smile a lot. I must be a woman trapped in a man's body, being oppressed by the patriarchy. Someone get Caitlyn Jenner on the line, pronto.

God it is amazing how even the smallest things is an attack on someone now a days. Clearly it's all one big plot by white men to keep everyone else down.

Seriously there was a time when I could call myself a liberal and be proud of that but this culture of playing the victim has just gotten too insane.

Back