Tech FAIL of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
In today's day and age, why would anyone with half a brain think it would be a good idea to post these pictures online for the whole world to see?

The TSA is learning a basic lesson of physical security in the age of 3-D printing: If you have sensitive keys—say, a set of master keys that can open locks you’ve asked millions of Americans to use—don’t post pictures of them on the Internet.

“In high-security environments, it’s clear that you want people to not just take photos of your keys, but to not even look at them,” he says.
“We would hope the TSA would have taken better care of their keys than they have.”

Nope.
Don't count on it... ever.

Should be no surprise then that the government not only has access to physical locks but also digital locks/encryption.

TSA should be disbanded, they have never prevented anything and have caused many people issues.

It's not uncommon for all forms of government to publish the bitting information of master keys in legislative documents that are public record.

It's not like this is a new concern. They're crappy, cheap locks that are easily defeated and I wouldn't be surprised if someone had already made the keys in the first place.

TSA should be disbanded, they have never prevented anything and have caused many people issues.
It's even worse than gate rape or other inconveniences. People are literally dying due to avoiding air travel now, at a rate of 500 extra traffic deaths per year: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/09/excess_automobi.html

The TSA has a strong public employee union and boneheaded politicians would never get rid of it because it's been as effective as Lisa Simpson's rock that keeps tigers away. See, there hasn't been a 9/11 since 9/11!

To be fair, it's not like luggage locks provide much security. 99 times out of 100 someone will just take your luggage from a luggage carousel, and deal with the lock when they get home, only one airport I ever been to had any sort of security checking your luggage to a luggage tag as you left (Oakland of all places).

My worry about someone searching through luggage while on the carousel or while it's under the plane is very minimal (read: Zero)

Where will we get an equally incapable government institution to purvey a false sense of security on the apathetic public? It's not like they grow on tre.... o wait. n/m

the locks are pointless when all you need is a pen to poke through the zipper anyway

To be fair, it's not like luggage locks provide much security. 99 times out of 100 someone will just take your luggage from a luggage carousel, and deal with the lock when they get home, only one airport I ever been to had any sort of security checking your luggage to a luggage tag as you left (Oakland of all places).

My worry about someone searching through luggage while on the carousel or while it's under the plane is very minimal (read: Zero)

Umm, it's not that people are concerned about someone just running off from the luggage carousel with it(that is a concern, but of course the locks aren't going to stop them). It's anyone handling the luggage between checking it in, it ending up on the plane, and then between once it's removed from the plane and on it's way to the luggage carousel.

Yeah, I've had crap "disappear" from my luggage before.

the locks are pointless when all you need is a pen to poke through the zipper anyway

You can use a hard-sided locking case with non-TSA locks. They will probably try to cut the lock first. If you're using a sufficient case and lock, though, they _should_ try to contact you to open the lock for them... _should_

This is exactly why when I announced to my friends on Facebook that I bought a house (3-1/2 years ago), by showing a picture of my key and my house in the background, I did NOT show the cut end. I knew it would be way too easy to replicate that key just from a photo. Common sense fail on TSA's behalf!

This doesn't surprise me. The 3d printer part is just being lazy. There was a story 10 years ago about a guy screwing around with a friend and putting his friend's car keys in his mouth. Something happen and he accidently swallowed them. From looking at the x-rays a locksmith was able to make a working key.

So I would expect any skilled locksmith to be able to take a picture of a key and be able to make a working copy of one.

TSA, NSA..... They all want the keys to our shit. Doesn't matter I'm if they are physical or digital keys, they can't be trusted with it.

People have been doing this forever. Same principal as making an impression in soap or clay. It is rediculous how many bypasses there are to get through locks. Shims, there are some you can leverage the actuation of the shackle with a blade in the key hole. As for picking you can rake the pins single pin pick them. Or you can remove the cylinder on some then open the lock with a screw driver.

It makes one worried about exactly what you trust a lock for.

That's because Oakland was having a major problem with people stealing luggage.

As for the locks, they are generally worthless anyways as they won't stop the TSA baggage checkers from stealing from your bag since they already have access to keys. Plus, since they can unlock and relock your bag, you won't even know someone has been in your bag unless they leave a note.

Only reason to lock your bag, is to help keep the zipper closed and to let you know someone has been in it. Using a small cable tie (preferable in an odd color that somebody wouldn't have) works better. If someone has been in your bag, then you can see because of the missing tie. If the TSA decides to search your bag (or steal something from your bag) they will have to cut it off, any you will know someone has been in your bag. I keep extras in my carryon back for the return trip.

This is exactly why when I announced to my friends on Facebook that I bought a house (3-1/2 years ago), by showing a picture of my key and my house in the background, I did NOT show the cut end. I knew it would be way too easy to replicate that key just from a photo. Common sense fail on TSA's behalf!

What kind of lock?

That's because Oakland was having a major problem with people stealing luggage.

As for the locks, they are generally worthless anyways as they won't stop the TSA baggage checkers from stealing from your bag since they already have access to keys. Plus, since they can unlock and relock your bag, you won't even know someone has been in your bag unless they leave a note.

Only reason to lock your bag, is to help keep the zipper closed and to let you know someone has been in it. Using a small cable tie (preferable in an odd color that somebody wouldn't have) works better. If someone has been in your bag, then you can see because of the missing tie. If the TSA decides to search your bag (or steal something from your bag) they will have to cut it off, any you will know someone has been in your bag. I keep extras in my carryon back for the return trip.

Better than a lock, one of my ex coworkers used to carry a gun in his checked bags for all flights. They make damn sure those are locked up real safe and never go missing.

Better than a lock, one of my ex coworkers used to carry a gun in his checked bags for all flights. They make damn sure those are locked up real safe and never go missing.

Biohazard seal tape...

wait brilliant idea tsa seal tape you wrap as much as you want inside you have an inventory list then when you check your bag you have a list of every thing they stole to submit to insurance and the real police.

so the next time any government agency tells you that all the data they hoard is "secure" and they have super duper encryption keys and security systems... the weakest link is still a - possibly underpaid - human being. it's actually amazing that noone working there has leaked a photo earlier or that none have been stolen and then forged.

Clever

Back