Microsoft Ending Xbox Live Indie Games Program

HardOCP News

[H] News
While this is sad, the writing has been on the wall for some time now. :(

Today we communicated to developers that we’re beginning the sunsetting process for the XNA Creator’s Club and Xbox Live Indie Games (XBLIG) on Xbox 360. We’re working to ensure the process is as smooth as possible and to minimize any impact for developers who are still working on XBLIG games for Xbox 360.
  • As of today, we’ve stop taking new subscriptions or membership renewals, but we’ll ensure that current members who are still working on games have any memberships that expire “topped off” until September 9, 2016. After that date we’ll no longer allow new games to be published. All creators with a valid subscription as of today will receive a free lifetime Windows Developer account (normally $99).
  • In September 2017, we’ll stop selling XBLIG games, close the store and pay out all money earned by developers. Of course, players will still be able to re-download games they own and continue to play the games they own.
  • Longer term, over the next two years we’ll be working with game conservationists and creators to preserve the legacy of XBLIG content. We look forward to sharing more details in the future.

With almost every indie game being a less-than-8-bit side-scroller these days, I can see why.

Or the fact that the 360 is trying to be phased out. That could be part of the reason to stop selling dev kits for it also.

Or the fact that the 360 is trying to be phased out. That could be part of the reason to stop selling dev kits for it also.

Unfortunately this. I have a 360 in my bedroom for watching Netflix/Amazon/Comcast but they just removed the Comcast app. One of the only other things I used it for is to occasionally play "I Made a game with zombies in it" with my wife.

Too much shit. There is that occasional golden turd floating in a sea of diarrhea. Just not going to swim through the shit to find the better shit.

Same thing plagues many app stores (Windows app store for Windows and Windows Phone, especially - they are almost unusable unless you know exactly what you want). Just too easy for people to push anything to get a quick buck. So, they shovel shit hoping someone will click "Flippy Bird" or something similar.

The game Deer God, not even worth the price of free lol.

Agreed. I gave the game about an hour and was thinking maybe I would start to like it. Nope.

That said the program itself is not going away, it is only the 360 part of it that they are shutting down. So they can make another 10 of these games a year for the next decade if they want on the Xbox One. That program is ID@Xbox and is still alive and well and is what replaced Indie games on Windows 10 and Xbox One. The Xbox 360 Indie game program is what they are getting rid of and that is it.

Unfortunately this. I have a 360 in my bedroom for watching Netflix/Amazon/Comcast but they just removed the Comcast app. One of the only other things I used it for is to occasionally play "I Made a game with zombies in it" with my wife.

Must have been time to update the software and so they killed off that version.

Back