Anyone running GPU passthrough? QEMU/KVM + VFIO

Cat1yst

[H]ard|Gawd
Basically the title.

After seeing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI

I thought it might be a good idea to give it a shot, since I dont really need windows for much else other than DX.

Anyone with first hand experience? Is it worth it?

GPU is a 970 if theres any difference. Was going to use integrated for the secondary gpu.

Yes. I wrote a How-To here for exactly that purpose.

Guide: GPU Passthrough Using KVM + LVM2 + Ubuntu Gnome - From Beginning to End This setup works solidly.

I've been testing with the UEFI bios now for weeks which is different from this one. I will post instructions to that one soon. The change in BIOS improves GPU performance. However, it also introduces latency on disk I/O when using virtual block devices on ZFS. The problem doesn't seem to happen on LVM or full block devices. In reality I think there's something in Windows 8/10 that's also contributing to this because the weird latency on I/O seemed to be a problem in general even when not virtualized. So the guide will likely be based around a very low latency setup to maximize performance.

The second guide I'll post shows utilizing mostly just the gui which makes things easier and quicker. It will also include some changes that fix common problems not found in the other guides. However, if you just want to get your feet wet the guide above is tested and does work.

Back