ASUS Announces G11

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS today announced G11, a high-performance gaming desktop aimed at casual gamers. G11 is powered by a 6th-generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor and up to NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 980 graphics for unstoppable gaming performance. It also features an M.2 PCIe® 3.0 x4 solid-state drive (SSD), DDR4 memory, and 10Gbit/s USB 3.1 Gen 2 for high speed data access. G11 has a futuristic chassis design, and features Mayan-inspired markings and 8-million-color LED effects. The exclusive ASUS Aegis II gaming utility even allows for easy gameplay recording and sharing.

This is very interesting! The specs all look good to me with the exception of the power supply (no more than 500w), the size of the SSD (no greater than 256 gigabytes), and the wireless-only keyboard. If ASUS allowed further customizing in those 3 areas, then it would truly provide some healthy competition to the boutique vendors like Falcon Northwest, Digital Storm, Maingear, and especially Dell/Alienware.

This is very interesting! The specs all look good to me with the exception of the power supply (no more than 500w), the size of the SSD (no greater than 256 gigabytes), and the wireless-only keyboard. If ASUS allowed further customizing in those 3 areas, then it would truly provide some healthy competition to the boutique vendors like Falcon Northwest, Digital Storm, Maingear, and especially Dell/Alienware.

I agree with the points you have made, I would also like to know if this is going to be filled with standard parts I could replace or upgrade. I am not in love with the look of this case either, I want to see the internals.

You can have 4 SSDs so just order one with 1 SSD and add the rest yourself... only issue is the PSU. Would of been nice for a 1K unit.

Would be nice to look at the MB and layout... how much room you have for upgrade/addons.

Who doesn't casually spend $3000 on trivial things such as expensive hardware?

I couldn't see any pricing in the announcement. All I could see was "AVAILABILITY & PRICING Please contact your local ASUS representative for further information."

You can have 4 SSDs so just order one with 1 SSD and add the rest yourself... only issue is the PSU. Would of been nice for a 1K unit.

Would be nice to look at the MB and layout... how much room you have for upgrade/addons.

Where does it say you can have 4 ssd's? That would imply the motherboard has only for sata ports... I think you are misinterpreting what M.2 PCIe x4 means...

It looks like it has 2 M.2 PCIe drives which should leave 4-6 more Sata available, unless I missed something in the release.

Why? I really never understood why people want OEMs to put massively wasteful PSUs in computers, I mean a system with a 6700k and a 980Ti will run just fine on a 500W PSU.

Why? I really never understood why people want OEMs to put massively wasteful PSUs in computers, I mean a system with a 6700k and a 980Ti will run just fine on a 500W PSU.

If you are going to shell out the bucks this system is likely to cost you will be looking at dual GPUs at a minimum and possibly triple GPUs or higher ... those configurations would likely need more than 500W

Am I the only one that thinks they went back in time 10 years on the exterior design?

If you are going to shell out the bucks this system is likely to cost you will be looking at dual GPUs at a minimum and possibly triple GPUs or higher ... those configurations would likely need more than 500W

If you are planning on doing that much after buying the unit...Why would you just not build from scratch to make sure everything is what you want and would probably be cheaper anyway, or buy it with the cards already and they will use the PSU needed.

Am I the only one that thinks they went back in time 10 years on the exterior design?
I think "Mayan-inspired markings" needs to be translated as "our design department got high on peyote while watching 'Apocalypto' then decided let's make a case or something, we're super creative right now! ... Hey, don't judge us." :D

So yeah, just about 10 years since that was 2006.

I couldn't see any pricing in the announcement. All I could see was "AVAILABILITY & PRICING Please contact your local ASUS representative for further information."

That's code for "We probably won't even produce this, but if we did you definitely couldn't afford it."

As long as the PSU is not Diablotek sure. I ran an i7 4770 oc'ed and 2 770s for quite a while on Seasonic 750w (never drew more than ~625w from the wall except in the most extreme stress testing) and now a friend is using it on his build with an i7 and 2 970s... Most people that "need" way too much power are either uneducated in power supplies or trying to hit the sweet spot for efficiency which I have never understood... 2% efficiency gain for a PSU that is $80 more.

The release says they are marketing it for people that don't want systems like that. No K series, vanilla 980, 2 ssds installed... everything a casual "enthusiast" (oxymoron) needs to game to the EXTREME! This isn't for the [H] crowd, but for someone that wants to have a decent system but will never open the case because that is scary.

As long as the PSU is not Diablotek sure. I ran an i7 4770 oc'ed and 2 770s for quite a while on Seasonic 750w (never drew more than ~625w from the wall except in the most extreme stress testing) and now a friend is using it on his build with an i7 and 2 970s... Most people that "need" way too much power are either uneducated in power supplies or trying to hit the sweet spot for efficiency which I have never understood... 2% efficiency gain for a PSU that is $80 more.

BTW - before you all say anything I intend on adding a second 980ti, but want to upgrade to at least a 5930k to open up all the lanes. My 1050g was on sale for $129.99 when my buddy needed a new PSU so it made sense ;). $129.99 for 1000+ Seasonic is a win in my book.

By 500W I mean actual 500W with amperage on the proper rails needed. I started out with a 850W unit when I did my first real gaming build, which was pretty much the max at the time. After using a proper power meter and seeing how little power was used, I would have been fine with a 400W unit. I now use a 660W PSU, and only because I got a great deal on it. I also know people running high power 1000W+ PSUs that probably don't draw more than 400-500W at full load. I also know the people going for the "sweet spot" and know someone who built with that in mind this year and spent almost 100 bucks extra to get the best PSU for power savings, maybe an extra 3% over the much cheaper PSU, I tried to explain to him it would take something like 10 years with it running 24/7 to recover that $100 with the price of electricity in this area, but he would just not hear it.

I also know the people going for the "sweet spot" and know someone who built with that in mind this year and spent almost 100 bucks extra to get the best PSU for power savings, maybe an extra 3% over the much cheaper PSU, I tried to explain to him it would take something like 10 years with it running 24/7 to recover that $100 with the price of electricity in this area, but he would just not hear it.

It's more baffling to me when someone asking me build advice actually listens (buddy who took my 750w) than when they buy a 1200w Gold for their i5 and R9 280x... I even more like when someone asks for AIO CPU cooler advice with no intention of ever overclocking. Or if they need more than 16gb of ram with no intention of doing either memory intensive tasks or creating a ramdisk.

If you are planning on doing that much after buying the unit...Why would you just not build from scratch to make sure everything is what you want and would probably be cheaper anyway, or buy it with the cards already and they will use the PSU needed.
People who buy ready made computers are probably not the same ones who even know what SLI and crossfire refer to, and wouldn't think of water cooling anything electronic (I hope).

Back