Thirteen Windows 10 Bugs Microsoft Needs To Fix Right Now

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I figure that the upcoming Windows 10 update should address at least some of these oversights. Have you encountered any that aren't on this list? For me, I hope they fix the weird issue with how pinned items goes into a “Recent” category once you go past twelve items.

…here we are, a month after its final release, and Windows 10 is still filled with bugs. Critics have noticed them, consumers have flagged them, Microsoft acknowledges them. To be fair, there is no such thing as bug-free software. Every software company maintains a prioritized list of known bugs; as the shipping date approaches, they’re forced to draw a line. Anything below the line, they save to fix another day. Microsoft is no different.

The rating bug isn't a bug. It's been like that since they added ratings in windows. It is overdue for a change to the way other apps work, but a bug it's not. I'm not sure why power users would notice a 512 program limit. What kind of power users searches for an app in a list of 500 apps? If you're not typing the program name, you're not a power user (or you're a power user that hasn't used windows correctly since leaving XP.

No mention of the windows 10 casting to xboxone digital media handler service errors that require you to kill the service manually

What kind of power users searches for an app in a list of 500 apps? If you're not typing the program name, you're not a power user (or you're a power user that hasn't used windows correctly since leaving XP.

Who are you to say what is the correct way to use Windows?

Since MSFT is no longer keeping track of the bugs in their OS (because it is too time-consuming), there's no reason to fix what's broken. This is why there will be no future versions of Windows OS. They're done. This is IT. Game over!

Who are you to say what is the correct way to use Windows?

Searching a list of 512 icons for quicken or pro tools or lightroom or Photoshop is way slower than typing "quick"

Trust me, I went a year or 2 doing it with a mouse. I spent lots of time organizing the Vista/7 start menu so it was easier to find stuff....then one day I discovered I could just type powerdvd or command (or cmd).

Same goes for control panel. If you know windows and you can type, it's significantly faster to type. The more programs you have the more true that becomes.

The paradigm changed with vista, but I don't think they nailed it until 7 (but maybe that's because I was using it wrong back then)

I'm not sure why power users would notice a 512 program limit. What kind of power users searsches for an app in a list of 500 apps? If you're not typing the program name, you're not a power user (or you're a power user that hasn't used windows correctly since leaving XP.
it's not 500 programs installed or 500 apps. The bug relates to the number of start menu entries. Many applications install several entries in a single group. What's worse is that uninstalling programs to get under 500 entries does not reindex; the missing entries stay missing. It's sloppily implemented with a low maximum. It is a significant bug.

I don't see any of those bugs being an issue for me anytime soon.

Am i the only one who uses NONE of those features/bugs...

I've seen a few, I've also seen these:

- Won't Print Color to Laserjet (tried Win10 drivers, Win8 and Win7 drivers), Win8 machines work fine, all Win10 (different makers) refuse to print color even when print-preview shows color is selected.

- "Metro Apps" lose icon when their shortcut is added to the desktop. This includes the Edge icon. It's happened on every Win10 machine I have, including the SurfacePro3. So it can't be just me.

I've seen a few, I've also seen these:

- Won't Print Color to Laserjet (tried Win10 drivers, Win8 and Win7 drivers), Win8 machines work fine, all Win10 (different makers) refuse to print color even when print-preview shows color is selected.

- "Metro Apps" lose icon when their shortcut is added to the desktop. This includes the Edge icon. It's happened on every Win10 machine I have, including the SurfacePro3. So it can't be just me.

Also, I have one that prevents me from submitting bug reports on one machine even after I enable the required settings they want. Keeps saying I have to change these certain settings to submit feedback/bugs, yet fails to acknowledge my settings are what they are saying they need to be. I'm not a mind-reader, is there some other setting? Geeze.

It is a significant bug.

Nasty bug but I don't know if it would qualify as significant in terms of the percentage of users affected. But just to point out how much of a non-Microsoft apologist I am, there's tons of bugs I've seen in Windows 10. Here's one that few probably know of. In the Action Center, using touch our mouse, for whatever reason the Action button section can be resized. Saw that on a Winbeta podcast and had no idea it was there. Cortana will oftern not respond until about three tries out of sleep. Some Atom based devices I have will never allow going to batter saver mode using the battery icon until that setting is changed in Settings. The Continuum notification menu when Continuum is on manual often goes below the Task Bar making it very difficult especially with touch to tap the buttons. The Start Menu will often "lose" a tile drag especially out of the left side and the thing just vanishes and you have no idea what happened. There's currently no way to assign the button of a Surface 3 or Pro 3 to open the desktop version of OneNote.

Thank goodness the Windows Defense Force is in this thread to ensure all that dangerous talk of bugs is properly moderated with the company's paid perspective.

Thank goodness the Windows Defense Force is in this thread to ensure all that dangerous talk of bugs is properly moderated with the company's paid perspective.

I've probably seen and reported far more Windows bugs than you. Since I actually use the OS daily on multiple devices that's only logical.

Never go to a restaurant on opening day.
Never buy the first year model of anything.
And never be the first to install a new operating system.

Windows 10 will surpass the install base of all of OS X in the about the next week and 100 million machines. So yeah, no one doing it now is anywhere close to first.

Never go to a restaurant on opening day.
Never buy the first year model of anything.

That's just it Windows 10 is not new it is LITERALLY windows 8 service pack 2 or 8.2
And you are not the first i have it running on 5 pc only 2 times did i have issues first on my laptop over microsoft sending out a bad AMD driver with it causing my laptop to bsod loop and some bad ram in my htpc causing it to not load 10.

Also what if there is only 1 model year of something.

As soon as you start an internet connection on Windows illuminati are able to access ALL the contents of any devices connected to your computer, as exposed by the prophets more than centuries ago.

Windows 10 is Windows 8: The Apology. Much like Windows 7 is Windows Vista: The Apology.

Notice that the free update was for home users, not enterprise users?

As soon as you start an internet connection on Windows illuminati are able to access ALL the contents of any devices connected to your computer, as exposed by the prophets more than centuries ago.

Yeah but it has been that way since windows 98 not like the iluminati has waited until just now to start spying on us.

Windows 10 will surpass the install base of all of OS X in the about the next week and 100 million machines. So yeah, no one doing it now is anywhere close to first.

I sure as hell would hope so, considering it's a free update to the most popular operating system in the world. One fifth of the US population (The ~67 Million Windows 10 Installations so far) is an impressive number, if you leave out the rest of the world, and those facts.

None of those affect me, but I've found a few that aren't on the list and are probably annoying others as well.
1) windows don't hold their last position and size (most notably Edge)
2) popup text is always getting in the way of clicking things on the taskbar
3) ICAPI VSS shadow writer errors affecting backups - including their own imaging software
4) Dual monitors will not hold different backgrounds. It's nice that I can select two files with ctrl, then set desktop background. But it seems to crash quickly thereafter and I get only one of the two images.
5) does not handle fast user switching well at all. If I switch to my wfie's account while mine is logged in, then come back - I'm likely to lose control of a mouse or keyboard, see a program crash, or some other instability

All in all though - it's pretty stable and good for an OS put together so quickly. I'm actually pretty happy with it tbh (and I really hated win 8).

Got to give them credit where credit is due - hopefully we'll see these things ironed out sooner rather than later, and we can chalk it up to early adopter blues.

All in all though - it's pretty stable and good for an OS put together so quickly. I'm actually pretty happy with it tbh (and I really hated win 8).

Are you trying to be funny? I don't mind people thinking 10 is fine for their use. But saying things like this is a little short sighted. They didn't really put together an Operating System since Windows 8.1, ya know? All they did was a few tweaks here and there, take out a shit tone of usability, add half of that usability back in with its relevant bugs and whatnot. Take out the better part of 8's Touch groundwork. And singe those marketing praises from the rooftops like as if they built Rome in a day. So don't go patting them on the back to much, hey!

Searching a list of 512 icons for quicken or pro tools or lightroom or Photoshop is way slower than typing "quick"

Trust me, I went a year or 2 doing it with a mouse. I spent lots of time organizing the Vista/7 start menu so it was easier to find stuff....then one day I discovered I could just type powerdvd or command (or cmd).

Same goes for control panel. If you know windows and you can type, it's significantly faster to type. The more programs you have the more true that becomes.

The paradigm changed with vista, but I don't think they nailed it until 7 (but maybe that's because I was using it wrong back then)

You're missing one point. How does that searching work for you when you don't quite know what is in the shortcut/link to said application/utility? Not real good! That is where a menu system like 7's assisted (Why for users into one method? That is the issue). I had to do this many a time with 7 becuase i just didnt know what that sucker had in its name even though i knew what the main application was called! Low and behold, it was very easy to navigate through the menu that was at the very least alphabetically sorted. Straight to where i wanted with minimal fuss.

I didn't have to spend these hours you did personalizing the sort order (now who is the smart one? and you always jump on others for apparently not being smart enough to [insert whatever doesn't suit your usage case]).

it's not 500 programs installed or 500 apps. The bug relates to the number of start menu entries. Many applications install several entries in a single group. What's worse is that uninstalling programs to get under 500 entries does not reindex; the missing entries stay missing. It's sloppily implemented with a low maximum. It is a significant bug.

I'm not defending the bug. I'm saying if you aren't typing to get your app when you have that many entries in your start menu/screen, you're not really a Windows power user, because it's not an efficient way to open a program. And XP (maybe Vista) was the last time clicking through a menu was the best way to get to a random program.

Windows 10 is Windows 8: The Apology. Much like Windows 7 is Windows Vista: The Apology.

Notice that the free update was for home users, not enterprise users?

Enterprise customers can change to 10 if they want. They don't pay extra to change. However, it's unlikely that many enterprises are going to jump on 10 during the first year. I bet most will wait till till late 2016 or early 2017 and only do it as they replace older hardware. In 20 years, I've never gotten a new OS at work unless the H/W was replaced.

ive only had 2 problems with 10 so far
1. forced driver updates, but at least MS has a tool to get around that
2. nvidias drivers. ive had the display go dead, or go to a grey garbled display after waking.
every time i launch a DX10/11 app, nvidia loses my gamma settings. well, not even losing the settings, nvidia just loses control and the main app overrides it. and i have to reset it every time i alt tab out of a game.

other than that, its been problem free, and i dont really have any complaints about it.

You're missing one point. How does that searching work for you when you don't quite know what is in the shortcut/link to said application/utility? Not real good! That is where a menu system like 7's assisted (Why for users into one method? That is the issue). I had to do this many a time with 7 becuase i just didnt know what that sucker had in its name even though i knew what the main application was called! Low and behold, it was very easy to navigate through the menu that was at the very least alphabetically sorted. Straight to where i wanted with minimal fuss.

I didn't have to spend these hours you did personalizing the sort order (now who is the smart one? and you always jump on others for apparently not being smart enough to [insert whatever doesn't suit your usage case]).

Are you saying you can't type, for example, Office and get the office folder that's sitting under all apps, which would have all of the office programs in it?

I have found a problem when installing window 10, actually it effects 7 and 8 also. When installing the OS with a Micosoft All-in-One Media Keyboard plugged in, the install will crash and you have to start over. It took me a whole weekend to find out why I couldn't get on OS to install on my daughters new computers.

I've probably seen and reported far more Windows bugs than you. Since I actually use the OS daily on multiple devices that's only logical.

Oh so you're going to try to increase your self-worth to yourself by bragging about how many bugs in an operating system you've personally encountered and reported? That sounds like the beginnings of a song about how empty a nerd's life can be.

Are they going to get rid of this bug? It's a big one, that's needs to go. How in the hell was Edge released in the state that it's in???

Windows-Edge.jpg

Back