Mozilla Blog Reveals That Bug Tracker Was Hacked

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
When are we going to hear good news out of Mozilla? It turns out that some of the security fixes in the last Firefox update were the result of someone hacking Bugzilla.

…we are disclosing today that someone was able to steal security-sensitive information from Bugzilla. We believe they used that information to attack Firefox users. Mozilla has conducted an investigation of this unauthorized access, and we have taken several actions to address the immediate threat. We are also making improvements to Bugzilla to ensure the security of our products, our developer community, and our users.

Well they rely on funding, so they probably don't have the kind of resources that billion dollar companies have to clamp down on stuff like this.

I did not see any mention of reporting to authorities and catching this guy. Some help from an outside security team who are "top men", but no cops.

I did not see any mention of reporting to authorities and catching this guy. Some help from an outside security team who are "top men", but no cops.

Cops are bad, m'kay?

Seriously though they are probably correct in assuming the cops would want copies of what was stolen.

Last sentence of the article?:

"We have notified the relevant law enforcement authorities about this incident, and may take additional steps based on the results of any further investigations."

I can't imagine there's much worth stealing. A bug they haven't fixed yet? Big whoop.

They're busy changing the UI, so that it's totally foreign for the loyal users and alien to people that expect a Window to have a menu bar. Sure, you can change it back. I have to do that all of the time for people that HAVE NO IDEA HOW. Aside from bug fixes(!), VR and plug-ins, web browsers have been at their pinnacle for a long time.

Back