Bomb Shelters Under London Becomes Hi-Tech Salad Farm

HardOCP News

[H] News
Don't look so surprised, we have totally automated, hi-tech growing operations here in the U.S. too... they're just not used for vegetables. ;)

Thirty-three meters under the streets of central London is an old World War II bomb shelter that’s been transformed into a hi-tech underground farm. The long tunnels beneath Clapham are being filled with stacked layers of hydroponic beds - forming "vertical farms" - for growing salads and herbs that can be delivered to tables in the city within four hours of harvesting.

Had to read the article (damn you Steve!!!!!!) to see what crops they were getting because you say "Salad farm" and I'm thinking "That much energy put into growing something that barely has more nutritional benefit than breathing air?!?"

Why would you grow anything (that you don't mind the neighbors seeing) underground (that needs light, i.e. not fungus) where you have to pay to light it, when above-ground you get that light for free?

Ahh and now that I've read the article, they say the zero variability in conditions (no weather, insects) and the year-round growing season make up for having to pay to light and water them.

Anyone else picturing the swimming pool scene from Up In Smoke? I can close my eyes and see Cheech pretending to swim after they ripped the tarp covering the growing operation.

Anyone else picturing the swimming pool scene from Up In Smoke? I can close my eyes and see Cheech pretending to swim after they ripped the tarp covering the growing operation.

Hahahaha, no... but I am now!

That scene is from Cheech & Chong's third movie, Nice Dreams, and not from their first, Up In Smoke.

Why would you grow anything (that you don't mind the neighbors seeing) underground (that needs light, i.e. not fungus) where you have to pay to light it, when above-ground you get that light for free?
It's easier to control climate and environment.

Some crops and foods require more than sunlight, and some countries, depending on climate, might not even have enough for certain crops.

Also, you can eliminate day and night cycles by having light on continuously, possibly allowing them to grow faster.

Back