Apple v. Samsung Patent Trial Round Five

HardOCP News

[H] News
I can not believe this case is still going. It's like the patent case that won't die. :eek:

In case you need a refresher, the story so far is this. In round 1, the first jury trial, Apple was awarded $1B in damages. In round 2, Judge Koh vacated $450M of that award and ordered a retrial to determine a revised sum. Round 3 was that jury trial, with Apple awarded a lower sum of $290M – making a revised total of $930M. In round 4, the US appeals court ruled that while Samsung did indeed copy iOS features, it should not have been penalized for copying the general look of the iPhone, and therefore the damages should be reduced.

One by one Apple's fraudulently stolen patents are being invalidated. Pinch to pinch invalidated, slide to unlock invalidated... Pretty soon the lawsuit will have no leg to stand on while Apple on the other hand is blatantly copying the Galaxy S and Note with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

One by one Apple's fraudulently stolen patents are being invalidated. Pinch to pinch invalidated, slide to unlock invalidated... Pretty soon the lawsuit will have no leg to stand on while Apple on the other hand is blatantly copying the Galaxy S and Note with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

So when is Samsung going to sue Apple for copying it's designs?

I love haters.

Its easy to hate on apple with their crazy patents. If you use rounded corners you'll get sued. Its beyond ridiculous.

i'm just going to patent "flat". Anything made with a flat surface will owe me royalties. :)

Dang wish I'd thought of that. Maybe I could just patent icons; is it too late to patent icons? ;)

To most people, all of that is obvious and so no-one thinks to patent it.

Apple on the other hand seems to have a full department dedicated to this behavior.

I love haters.

I love ignorant people.

My first computer was an Apple IIe and I still have several IIgs'. Have also owned Mac, iPad and iPhone but they suck. Prefer a free market with companies competing for my wallet with the best products instead of BS litigation to kill competition and industry innovation.

A lot of these patents are so called Design patents, and most of them won't even stand when under scrutiny, so those are practically irrelevant.

Rounded corners etc are part of these design patents and definitely does not fall into the same category of 'patents' that ordinary layman understands them to be.

Also, it's pretty common that patents gets invalidated, but heavily depends on the court you choose (for example CDCA is pretty bad for patentee's, but EDTX is like heaven for them).

Also, as an addon, it's also not uncommon for patent lawsuits to drag out. I have heard of lawsuits lasting over a decade, so A vs S thing is not surprising, especially if additional lawsuits gets added later down the line.

Back