US Government Denies Responsibility for Megaupload’s Servers

HardOCP News

[H] News
This went exactly how we thought it would.

“…the government has already completed its acquisition of data from the Carpathia Servers authorized by the warrant, which the defendants will be entitled to during discovery. As such, there is no basis for the Court to order the government to assume possession of the Carpathia Servers or reimburse Carpathia for ‘allocated costs’ related to their continued maintenance.”

Wait so the government never bothered to copy the data on their own servers? From the sounds of it, they don't even physically have the servers, they're in a data centre and would normally have been handed to customers by now. Why should that burden be put on the data centre to keep servers in which the bill is not being paid? Seems like BS that the government has that kind of power. If I was the data centre I'd try to find a way for an accident to happen so they get wiped. I'm sure everyone who has data on there would appreciate that as they don't have to worry about ending up in court.

"I don't know, the UPS that was feeding that rack failed, everything is corrupted!"

Come to think of it I'm pretty sure I may have data on there myself, bunch of power point and other stuff for work that was too big to send by email. I hope they don't trace it back to me because they can accuse me of "using an illegal tool" or some BS like that.

Wait, so the government won't pay to maintain the evidence on the servers, but they won't allow Mega to actually purchase them to pay for it themselves? And no actual finding of guilt yet? I'm no fan of Mega, but still, that seems ludicrous. Our laws that are meant to disallow the use of illicit profits in your own defense are becoming too strong, they're practically prejudicial.

Wait so the government never bothered to copy the data on their own servers?

If you read the article it says the government has already backed up the data so they don't need the servers and don't care what happens to them and is why they won't pay for them. It also says it is users of megaupload who care that the data on the servers is preserved.

"United States Attorney Dana Boente explains that the Government has already backed up the data they need and no longer have a claim on the servers. "

"Last month QTS, the company that now owns the servers after acquiring Carpathia, asked the court if it can get rid of the data which is costing them thousands of dollars per month in storage fees.

This prompted a response from a former user who wants to preserve his data, as well as Megaupload, who don’t want any of the evidence to be destroyed. "

Wait, so the government won't pay to maintain the evidence on the servers, but they won't allow Mega to actually purchase them to pay for it themselves? And no actual finding of guilt yet? I'm no fan of Mega, but still, that seems ludicrous. Our laws that are meant to disallow the use of illicit profits in your own defense are becoming too strong, they're practically prejudicial.

I use it for things that are *generally* not commercially available in America (music). I can tell you that Mega is hands down the best downloading site around. No bull crap, fast downloads, files stay active for a couple years at least. Other then the goofy download mechanic they use, it's fantastic. I would even consider paying if I used more often.

The government has backed up data that *they* need...

yep sounds like they could easy pick what suits them and only copy that the us gov should have to copy 100% of the data or pay to store it till after any trial, to do other wise should be illegal. at the very lest mega should be allowed to pull what ever they want off of them

Wasn't Hillary running one of these for State Department Business in a bathroom somewhere?

Back