Tech Giants Teaming Up On Higher Quality Online Video

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this press release, Microsoft, Google, Intel, Mozilla, Amazon, Netflix and Cisco are all banding together to create new video compression technology that will boost the quality of online video.

Seven leading Internet companies today announced formation of the Alliance for Open Media – an open-source project that will develop next-generation media formats, codecs and technologies in the public interest. The Alliance’s founding members are Amazon, Cisco, Google, Intel Corporation, Microsoft, Mozilla and Netflix. The new Alliance is committing its collective technology and expertise to meet growing Internet demand for top-quality video, audio, imagery and streaming across devices of all kinds and for users worldwide.

At some point you can't compress a video and audio any more and still get good results. At some point the backbone and all ends connected have to upgrade for there just to be more data being transmitted.

This might be a response to the HEVC Advance group that decided that they could get H.265 royalties in addition to the OTHER existing patent pool under the MPEG LA group.

Manufacturers are not going to double down on royalty payouts when they can group together and design their own. HEVC Advance screwed everyone out of the h265 pie, terrible idea.

This might be a response to the HEVC Advance group that decided that they could get H.265 royalties in addition to the OTHER existing patent pool under the MPEG LA group.

Manufacturers are not going to double down on royalty payouts when they can group together and design their own. HEVC Advance screwed everyone out of the h265 pie, terrible idea.

That could be and would make more sense. I had jumped to thinking they were trying to get smaller bit rates.

This. To many greedy trolls.

First thing that popped in my head was "A 4k video was leaked/ripped.. Lets start over with encryption!" But that was already discussed earlier.

ah ok, was wondering what happened to h.265

Ya 1080 or 4k at a crap bitrate is still a crap bitrate...i love seeing 3Gig 1080 content...:rolleyes:

Now that current compression tech is getting loose in the wild, the giant corporate filth need new proprietary tech so they can keep us all rent-seeking.

4K is pointless nonsense, eventually more resolution has no value, people need to stop being suckers for the "next big thing".

At some point you can't compress a video and audio any more and still get good results. At some point the backbone and all ends connected have to upgrade for there just to be more data being transmitted.

The upcoming standard of 4k will "break the internet" so a more efficient codec has to be developed.
If you examine the evolution of video codec it is pretty amazing. MPEG2 was an amazing breakthrough in it's time and it is the DVD codec. But it was not efficient enough for any kind of HD video. The reason is it was designed for low processing power. H.264 (MP4) is amazing considering you can take the quality output you get from the relatively small file size. And it takes quit a bit more processing power to decode in real time compared to MPEG2. Now it is H.265. Comparing H264 and H265 side by side, I get half the FPS with H265 but the files size is much smaller. So more efficient; but takes much more processing power. H.265 hits my 8 core much harder; heat and fan speed shoots up really quickly as compared to H.264. On a HD 1080p camcorder video (AVC) that is 15 seconds I get a file size of 22.8MB with H.264 and 15MB with H265; all settings the same.
These comparisons done on HandBrake.

It almost seems like there's really no point in trying to push higher video quality. 720, 1080, 4K...whatever they all look pretty much the same on my laptop screen and the only difference is that I have to wait for stuff to buffer longer so I might as well just watch 720 or whatever and not worry about it. It's nice someone is trying to push the envelope some, but I really don't need or want higher quality videos so that I have to see everyone's pimple scars in morbid detail after signing up for faster internet service that I would otherwise not need.

The upcoming standard of 4k will "break the internet" so a more efficient codec has to be developed.
If you examine the evolution of video codec it is pretty amazing. MPEG2 was an amazing breakthrough in it's time and it is the DVD codec. But it was not efficient enough for any kind of HD video. The reason is it was designed for low processing power. H.264 (MP4) is amazing considering you can take the quality output you get from the relatively small file size. And it takes quit a bit more processing power to decode in real time compared to MPEG2. Now it is H.265. Comparing H264 and H265 side by side, I get half the FPS with H265 but the files size is much smaller. So more efficient; but takes much more processing power. H.265 hits my 8 core much harder; heat and fan speed shoots up really quickly as compared to H.264. On a HD 1080p camcorder video (AVC) that is 15 seconds I get a file size of 22.8MB with H.264 and 15MB with H265; all settings the same.
These comparisons done on HandBrake.

Yes, but at some point you are losing quality there. 1080p on Blu-ray and 1080p online don't look exactly the same. you get some distortion of certain scenes (like if there is a lot of black and shadows). Will most people accept that, yes. But still you have some loss. Now if you try to take a 4K movie and compress it down to 1Mbps, I don't think you will get back anything that looks like what 4K should. My point was only that you can only make a codec so streamlined. That isn't how you ensure everyone can stream 4K. You can't get a 4K video down to 2 or 3Mbps for the average person. At some point ISPs need to make sure that they can handle their customers streaming 20Mbps videos. They need to make sure all customers can get 20+ Mbps for internet. Everyone needs faster internet, that is where the drive should be, at making ISPs stop sitting on their. Again though all that was based off a false assumption that they were only trying to come together to get smaller file sizes, not to create a standard that was open to everyone and didn't make use of a high cost license from somebody else.

It almost seems like there's really no point in trying to push higher video quality. 720, 1080, 4K...whatever they all look pretty much the same on my laptop screen and the only difference is that I have to wait for stuff to buffer longer so I might as well just watch 720 or whatever and not worry about it. It's nice someone is trying to push the envelope some, but I really don't need or want higher quality videos so that I have to see everyone's pimple scars in morbid detail after signing up for faster internet service that I would otherwise not need.

For your laptop, you probably won't notice much, then again unless you have a 4K display you won't see 4K. The real thing is when you are streaming to your 70+ inch tv.

For your laptop, you probably won't notice much, then again unless you have a 4K display you won't see 4K. The real thing is when you are streaming to your 70+ inch tv.

That's too many inches. Confusion about what to do starts to set in at like +6 inches. I mean really, at that point what is the expectation? Do you hug it? Go after it with a carrot peeler? Find something work-related for it to do? It's probably best in that case to ignore it and hope that it finds something to do that doesn't involve anyone else.

That's too many inches. Confusion about what to do starts to set in at like +6 inches. I mean really, at that point what is the expectation? Do you hug it? Go after it with a carrot peeler? Find something work-related for it to do? It's probably best in that case to ignore it and hope that it finds something to do that doesn't involve anyone else.

And see my friend was just telling me that she thought 8 - 9 inch was normal.

Back