Manned Multi-Rotor Super Drone Flying Machine

Black socks?

#blacksocksmatter

Honestly though, would you expect the person who built this to dress any differently? Other than the fact that he isn't wearing his Spock ears, of course.

That is a pretty cool toy to build though.

All of us computer people know that he should get larger fans for more CFM and less noise.

I like the car in the background that you see slow down, then backup and watch for a little bit. I could only imagine that was probably the reaction of a few people during his testing.

Oh come on...falling 50 feet onto 50 sets of spinning blades never killed anyone.

...wait....

...nevermind, you'd be dead. ;)

He needs to get higher for that. Besides that plastic cap is for protection of blades flying off right? :D

All of us computer people know that he should get larger fans for more CFM and less noise.

If only they made such a craft already, just think of that.... its like I can close my eyes and picture it now

kauai-heli-a.jpg

Awesome that someone made this in garage at home, but isn't the term manned drone a misnomer?

Drone has been generally used to described a unmanned aerial craft, but this one is obviously manned.

Awesome that someone made this in garage at home, but isn't the term manned drone a misnomer?

Drone has been generally used to described a unmanned aerial craft, but this one is obviously manned.

We use drone to describe any flying craft now.

"Sir, Engine #1 is out!"

Call me when we hit 12.

I can't stop watching videos of this thing.

It might be that I'm a helicopter pilot, but I just for the life of me figure out what this dude is doing.

Wow, I really think several small 2 stroke engines would produce the lifting force needed.
Can't imagine how much current all those motors are eating up to make that thing lift.

We use drone to describe any flying craft now.

Yes, so sad . . . I hate people :rolleyes:

Just like calling your RC car a robot?!?! Morons everywhere.

Wow, I really think several small 2 stroke engines would produce the lifting force needed.
Can't imagine how much current all those motors are eating up to make that thing lift.

While I don't doubt that 2 stroke engines could do the lifting, but the precise control of electrics is what allows this thing to hover and maneuver relatively stably on the cheap.

Google up Volocopter VC200 if you want to see more commercial design.

He almost flew, He needs more engines, since what is there is not providing enough lift.

He has enough lift to overcome gravity, but not enough lift to overcome inertia. Or something.......plus, those socks can't be helping matters.

I wonder if the first horseless carriage testing ended with "Say....Franz.....how the hell do we stop this thing..."

Or get a 5 year old to fly it instead. Maybe less pilot weight will help also.

I was thinking how much better it could fly without a pilot in the pilotless aircraft :D

No really, it might be pretty bad ass if he cut away all that crap and set it up for RC control or even autonomous control.

Next time he should wear underpants.

Neat idea. Needs more wind tunnel work and a bit more control then just up/down.

Imagine if it malfunctioned and went straight up. Unlike a helicopter, this thing has instant torque, basically. Full power in fraction of a second.

Hovers around for five minutes and then drags it back to the garage to charge back up for 12 hours.

I think he has a market for people that work around the block from their house and have a 12 hour shift...

Makes a nice alarm clock to wake people up, that is until some miffed person steals it and its found burnt out on some waste ground.

Imagine if it malfunctioned and went straight up. Unlike a helicopter, this thing has instant torque, basically. Full power in fraction of a second.

I'm not 100% sure if he is just scared of going more than a foot or 2 off the ground... or if the thing can't produce enough lift to actually go higher than a foot or 2 off the ground.

I'm not 100% sure if he is just scared of going more than a foot or 2 off the ground... or if the thing can't produce enough lift to actually go higher than a foot or 2 off the ground.

I was wondering the same thing. The lack of directional control also appears to be a problem. It is a neat proof of concept. We'll have to see what happens when he refines things a bit (and ditches the black socks).

well he did pick a bad place to test it, appears to be a small field near houses surrounded by trees. should have tried to find a more open spot.

Back