No securom games on Win10

Am I expected to throw away my games that have it already? The publishers are not going to remove it just because of Win10. What about Starforce (they call it Protection Services but is made by same company that made the dreaded Starforce) non-disk based DRM? Even Steam sells a couple of games that use that.

Break? No.

MS is unequivocally saying that those types of DRM are not acceptable anymore, as they introduce security problems. We should be glad MS is hammering a nail into SecurROM's coffin by disallowing it on newer OSes.

As far as what to do with physical, non-Steam copies of PC games from 2008'ish that utilize SecurROM and haven't had that particular form of DRM patched out? I dunno, coasters maybe?
Even Steam sells a couple of games that use that.
Yes, a couple. Nearly all of them have had SecurROM patched out and I can count on one hand the old, abandoned titles that have not such as MLB 2K9 and Dark Void. It's a complete non-issue and I suspect you created this thread simply to find something new to bitch at MS about.

I mean seriously, you're whining about MS putting it's foot down when it comes to intrusive DRM that can introduce security vulnerabilities into your OS?

Hey, I'm the one that actually emailed Securom and complained of them putting nasty shit on my PC while the rest of you were defending DRM and calling us tin foil hat wearers. Microsoft has a solution though, use cracks, that might also contain a virus. My solution is don't install Win10.

Oh , looky here.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/17/windows-10-safedisc-securom-drm/

Games which used these forms of DRM range from Crimson Skies to Grand Theft Auto 3, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 to the original The Sims.

Crimson Skies and Flight Sim 20004 - both Microsoft games. :eek:

If they gave a fuck about security they would never have allowed this shit in the first place. Remember, these are the same people that put that messenger service in XP.

The methods of working around this are using a no-CD crack, dual-booting into an older version of Windows, purchasing the game again from a digital distributor, or safe-signing the DRM yourself. I went looking around for info about self-signing in Windows 10.

"Users on Microsoft’s support forums are also posting about the issues saying that the SafeDisc issue specifically refers to the SECDRV.SYS file not being present in Windows 10." (Source)

Here's a very detailed and up-to-date (as of July 2015) discussion about code signing. The news there is not good; I gather that SECDRV.SYS is a kernel module, so in Windows 10, it would have to be signed by the Windows Hardware Developer Center Dashboard Portal. Which costs money, and 90 days after the release of Windows 10 will require an EV certificate which costs more than a normal certificate.

I don't know whether or not it takes just one signed version of SECDRV.SYS to fix this problem for all the affected games, but somehow I think it wouldn't be that easy. And MS can't even be bothered to do it for their own games, so I doubt any other game developer that is even still in existence would do it.

Am I expected to throw away my games that have it already? The publishers are not going to remove it just because of Win10. What about Starforce (they call it Protection Services but is made by same company that made the dreaded Starforce) non-disk based DRM? Even Steam sells a couple of games that use that.

You can find 'no-cd' patches to many games, that solves your problem. Of course security wise that's freaky as hell. But I've resorted to it a couple of times when my kids games wouldn't run on newer windows.

Oh , looky here - both Microsoft games. :eek:
Those two games were published before MS identified a security vulnerability in SecuROM. Crimson Skies in 2000, and FS2004 in 2003.

Microsoft identified a vulnerability in SecuROM and SecuROM-like DRM in 2007.

But we get it dude, you hate Microsoft and wanted to create another anti-Win 10 thread.

Last edited:
So does this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jh_3qe3QuI

"You can find 'no-cd' patches to many games, that solves your problem. Of course security wise that's freaky as hell. But I've resorted to it a couple of times when my kids games wouldn't run on newer windows. "

Yes, I've been using cracks for years but that is not a secure solution so Microsoft shouldn't even be recommending it as a solution. It applies to Safedisk games too and not just Securom. The thing is they foist this shite upon us and tell us it is all good and safe but later we find out they are FoS. When will the BS end?

Last edited:
Yes, I've been using cracks for years but that is not a secure solution so Microsoft shouldn't even be recommending it as a solution.

When did Microsoft recommend no-CD cracks as a solution?

Note: saying that there are games that "don't run without a no-CD patch or some such" is not a recommendation to use a no-CD patch.

But we get it dude, you hate Microsoft and wanted to create another anti-Win 10 thread.
Reasonable people don't hate a company or love them. We just use their services if it serves us well. Win 10 with the baggage it got attached doesn't.

If Microsoft wanted to make a statement about securom they should've done it in a press release. And not quietly cut off support for it, hoping that not enough people are affected to make a difference.

I cannot believe you people are bitching about MS disallowing SecuROM, finally condemning that most intrusive of DRM to the garbage heap.

Seems as though certain individuals will whine about Microsoft no matter what they do. Justifying your grievances by pointing to decade old pieces of abandonware that will no longer function on a modern OS is ridiculous.

Hand waving away all criticism of MS is what's ridiculous here. Seriously, it's really weird.

Hand waving away all criticism of MS is what's ridiculous here. Seriously, it's really weird.

No one here is waving away all criticisms but not every critical thing said is necessarily valid or has any proof. Given the exceptionally problematic history of SecureROM and Starforce it's logical to be skeptical about complaints over the lack of support of them in Windows 10.

To the OP. If it hasn't mentioned yet. That is what retro rigs are for. Take it from someone who owns 350+ physical disk games ranging from 1992 - 2013.

Build your self an xp or now a windows 7rig and enjoy the older games in all their native glory. I personally have a 3dfx rig w/6800gt for the win8/glide/dos games but your rig might just be more modern

lol, the irony is thick and meta.

LOL! There's plenty of thing to criticize Windows over and always have been. Some of the criticisms are valid some not so much. Does Windows 10 have privacy concerns? Of course. But truth is this is the nature of highly connected devices and services and apps driven by advertising and the leverage personal information. And these things are at the very core of computing today. I get that some want nothing to do with anything of it and there should be an off switch for all of it in Windows 10 and that's a perfectly valid criticism. And indeed for businesses there is a way to do that.

What about Star Force? I still play a lot of new games and paid a good bit of money for some DCS modules recently. I won't be upgrading to Win 10 if I can't play that.

I cannot believe you people are bitching about MS disallowing SecuROM, finally condemning that most intrusive of DRM to the garbage heap.

Seems as though certain individuals will whine about Microsoft no matter what they do. Justifying your grievances by pointing to decade old pieces of abandonware that will no longer function on a modern OS is ridiculous.

I can still run all my old Dos games using Dosbox. Is Microsoft going to reimburse me for my loss of being able to run FS 2004? And don't even get me started on Microsoft's GFWL crap. Can't play Dirt2 MP thanks to them conning us into that DRM disguised as a service BS and then saying GFWL is no longer supported.

I don't think the Starforce in DCS is affected, saw no complaints about it yet anyway.

Last edited:
The OP appears to blame everyone else for his problems. If you have been "conned" all this time, I would think you have a personal problem that needs to be dealt with. ;) As far as Windows 10 goes, it is an excellent OS.

Doesn't seem like too many gamers are worried about this issue: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Windows 10 jumped a totally record mashing 13.68% since last month's survey and while 8.1 users as expected took the biggest hit, 7 got walloped pretty good as well. At least as far as gaming is concerned I don't think 7 is going to be the new XP.

I think threads like this are part of the reason why Microsoft can make so many mistakes and still do well in it's core competencies. For all of the complaints of Windows 10, and there are plenty of legitimate ones, it's hard to look at this number and the overall 5.21% desktop market share that Windows 10 had in August and to think that Microsoft is pissing and scaring people off to any large degree. Even when one may not agree with how it all works, sometimes Microsoft nails things and the launch of 10 at this point is a historic success.

I can still run all my old Dos games using Dosbox.
This is because the DRM technology in DOS games consisted of paper code-wheels, not unsigned kernel modules. You're really grasping at straws here trying to legitimize your grievance with MS. It's ridiculous.
Is Microsoft going to reimburse me for my loss of being able to run FS 2004?
Stop being ridiculous.

It's OK, I have FSX anyway but it would have gone better for all if Microsoft never allowed this type of DRM on our PCs in the first place. Microsoft, Securom, Macrovision, all bad actors and have proven they are not trustworthy. Live and learn.

Back