Suggestions/help for Gigabyte GPU RMA?

DarkScythe

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some help or advice on an RMA to Gigabyte I'm currently going through. I heard some horror stories, but I had to cross my fingers and hope regardless, and it seems like it may actually be problematic after all.

I sent in a Gigabyte GTX670 a couple weeks ago because it would crash anytime I tried to play any real games with it. I tried many driver versions, and it would always produce the same issue - if I ever loaded the GPU, it would crash, my display would blank in and out, and nvidia's drivers would tell me that they crashed and restarted. It didn't matter what game it was. If I enabled shadows, or AA/AF, or PhysX, or anything beyond low texture quality in most games, it would consistently crash after a half hour or so (sometimes more quickly, sometimes more slowly.)

It got to the point where pretty much anything was unplayable without constant crashing and resetting of my display. Even Path of Exile, a game I don't consider all that demanding as, say, Payday 2 or Borderlands 2, would crash if I didn't limit its FPS to 60 via the vsync option. And even then it still crashed, just less often.

I cleaned out the fans, etc. and monitored its temps via GPU-Z-- it never went above 70C. FWIW my resolution is 1920x1200.

Last week I got fed up with it because basically nothing was playable. I sent it in for an RMA, and am currently back on my 7 year old 8800GT. It struggles to run Path of Exile (and as a result I haven't attempted anything more demanding,) but I have yet to see a single crash with it, which does tell me that there were problems with the GTX670.

Here's the problem... Gigabyte received the card, and I've been monitoring the RMA page for updates; Today, I see this:

No trouble found after tests with multiple configurations

...Seriously?

What do I do? If they send me that same card back without doing anything, I'd have wasted $22 out of pocket sending them a clearly defective card.

Any ideas on how to get them to cooperate?

Sorry if I may have perhaps jumped the gun a bit, but I really want to avoid the whole waiting a week for them to ship it back to me just so I can spend more money and wait another week sending it right back to them carousel, and perhaps resolve it before they ship it back to me.

I'm not too sure how to test the PSU being at fault, though as far as I can tell, Seasonic units are pretty damn reliable. I'm pretty sure it can handle it, although again I have no idea how to test since I don't have another unit of similar capacity available. As far as age, I would say it's about 5 years old.

The GPU was not OC'd beyond what Kepler does on its own natively -- I have no real control over that.

As far as running stock, I failed to do so, but primarily because I felt that was not the issue. This is because this Gigabyte card is actually my second GTX670. I've used an eVGA GTX670 for a while before I got the Gigabyte one on the same system with the same configuration and had no issues with it. I felt the fans were too noisy, so when Gigabyte's Windforce version went on sale, I picked that up and sold my eVGA GTX670 to my friend. Said friend is still running that GTX670 on a similar system and the same PSU brand/model without issues.

If the OC was the problem, I have to say that the problem should have been apparent with the eVGA card as well.

Haha. Not really possible since he doesn't have another GPU either, but I guess I can try asking. Assuming that's not possible, though, any other ideas?

Well why don't you switch the cards for a day. He borrows you his and you borrow him your.
This way you can test for both failures.
If your card performs OK in his rig, then it's your PSU.
If his card performs OK in your rig, then it's your card.

Back