AMD R9 Fury Running AMD's New Open-Source Linux Driver

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you alternative OS types out there that are interested in acquiring an AMD R9 Fury video card should head on over to Phoronix and read this article.

Now that Linux 4.2 is set to be released today, out on the horizon we have to look forward to Linux 4.3 kernel. Set to be merged into Linux 4.3 will be in the initial open-source AMD driver code for supporting the Radeon R9 Fury graphics cards. This open-source Fury support is the focus of our testing today with it being the first time powering up this Fiji GPU outside of Catalyst.

"I spent $600 on this graphics card, but so far it's been a disappointment and I cannot recommend any Linux user buy an R9 Fury/Nano until either the Catalyst driver is much-improved or until GL4+re-clocking is working and in the mainline code-bases for Fiji. At least by the time that happens, the cards should be cheaper."

You can put any OS name in there, these Fury cards are mystifying. Too expensive for the performance and the drivers are AMD. I'm getting tired of eternally waiting for the drivers to get better. My card has fantastic support, it only took a year and a half to get properly good drivers for these R9 2/390 and 2/390x cards.

I think I'm done.

I don't think they're slapping us around because they want to. They just don't have the people or the plan in place to be a decent technology company.

"I spent $600 on this graphics card, but so far it's been a disappointment and I cannot recommend any Linux user buy an R9 Fury/Nano until either the Catalyst driver is much-improved or until GL4+re-clocking is working and in the mainline code-bases for Fiji. At least by the time that happens, the cards should be cheaper."

You can put any OS name in there, these Fury cards are mystifying. Too expensive for the performance and the drivers are AMD. I'm getting tired of eternally waiting for the drivers to get better. My card has fantastic support, it only took a year and a half to get properly good drivers for these R9 2/390 and 2/390x cards.

I think I'm done.

I don't think they're slapping us around because they want to. They just don't have the people or the plan in place to be a decent technology company.

I haven't honestly had driver issues with my card. I used to complain about ATI drivers before the Catalyst, but I find now they're quite competitive with my Nvidia stuff.

The pricing? Yeah, AMD is insane. My next card will likely be Nvidia. I bought AMD last upgrade because it would have cost me $80 more for a GTX770 which had the same performance and 1GB less RAM than the 280X I bought. I didn't see the point. Nvidia brought the price back in line to where it should be with Maxwell. Given AMD's response, I see no point in proceeding, but that's a price/performance thing, not a driver issue.

I haven't honestly had driver issues with my card. I used to complain about ATI drivers before the Catalyst, but I find now they're quite competitive with my Nvidia stuff.

The pricing? Yeah, AMD is insane. My next card will likely be Nvidia. I bought AMD last upgrade because it would have cost me $80 more for a GTX770 which had the same performance and 1GB less RAM than the 280X I bought. I didn't see the point. Nvidia brought the price back in line to where it should be with Maxwell. Given AMD's response, I see no point in proceeding, but that's a price/performance thing, not a driver issue.

It took a year and a half to get the great drivers I have now for my 390X-es. That's what I get for buying a card generation early, especially from AMD. I won;t even get into sluggish Crossfire implementation.

The issue with pice is that up here in Canada the prices of nVidia cards have been insane, I could buy two 390X cards for the price of one 980Ti. The 970 was $80 more than the 390, less card, more money. AMD card prices have been skyrocketing the last couple of weeks while nVidia cards have been slowly dropping.

I think "market forces" is just a sideways way of saying "fuck you, buy our shit".

Back