Will I damage my cable modem with 7db splitter?

Straypuft

Limp Gawd
I am told it is best to use a 3.5db side of a splitter, but I was having trouble with a 2 sides 3.5db splitter, getting unknown modulation on one or more channels, I am using an Arris Motorola SGB6580 on TWC service.

Using splitter straight off the line into my apartment to run to modem and for basic cable on my tv.

I have 2 modems in my possession, one a 2-way 3.5db and one is a 3-way with 1 3.5db and 2-7db.

Have had problems with slow speeds using all 3.5db ends but all seems stable on a 7db end.

The 2-way 3.5db splitter is virtually new as in unused after a year of having it.

Do I need to buy a new splitter?

Oh, and on other places, people request to see some numbers, so here they are and I have no idea what any of them mean:
nA45xgw.jpg

Also, the modem was purchased new so I would rather not have to replace it after 3 months of use.

i used to be a catv technician and the operational parameters for our eurodocsis3 cable modems is -10 to +10db on the downstream channels and +40 to +55 on the upstream channels. the screenshot you posted is from a 3.5db splitter port right? if you change to a 7db splitter you'll lose more 3.5db of signal. You'll have your downstream channels at around -8 and your upstream at around 55db. That's too close to the limit imho, i wouldn't want my modem so close to the limit because the signal that comes from the street usually oscillates ~3db so it can get even worst than -8 / 55...

Just buy a new 2-way 3.5db ghz (important, make sure it goes from 5 to 1000mhz) splitter.
this are the ones i use, never had problems with them. http://www.ashcomms.com/media/catal...33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/v/tvc-1000-2wn.jpg

Last edited:
No, this is on a 7db end thingy.

The 2-way splitter I have is a 5-1000mhz -130db rfi which was provided by TWC.

I have removed the splitter from the line and this is what I am seeing now:
uFSiY8E.jpg

I am gonna miss tv service until i can get a new splitter :'(

Your levels on the -7 dB port (it's minus 7, not just 7, in that this channel will be 7.5 dB below the level before the split; that's why all of your power levels with no splitter are 7 dB higher than with) are on the low side but fine. As long as it's working OK I wouldn't worry about it. If you have issues with connection drops, then you want to replace the splitter with a better one.

I talked to a local cable technician on the elevator 20 minutes ago before removing the splitter and he told me that it could damage my modem.

Eh, its probably for the best, I actually am not supposed to be receiving cable tv since I only pay for internet service.

I can't imagine how he thinks you could damage the modem. Maybe overheating, because it's running at a slightly higher power?

It's within spec. I ran my SB6121 for years at the same power levels as you (worse, actually) and it's still going strong.

I like your reasoning, I shall put it back on the 7db end and have tv too :)

Thanks!

well if the levels you posted first are already on the -7.5db port you are OK :)
don't worry about "damage" to your modem, it won't happen, they just say that so you won't have free tv lol :p i've seen lots of modems more than 10db out-of-spec and still working...

Back