Any word on when the Samsung SM951 NVMe availability?

Pyrex238

Limp Gawd
Just curious if anyone has seen them pop up. I found one pre-order on an english site. That's it.

Last edited:
Your guess is as good as mine.

I think they've been floating around inside Intel NUCs and possibly a couple other pre built systems but I haven't seen any vendors with any sort of decent stock of them.

I went with the AHCI version, no sense in waiting given the relatively small performance gap and the different issues I've seen with the NVMe version (FUA, no Samsung driver, etc).

If it was a retail product I'd be more comfortable the kinks would get worked out but since these are sold mostly to OEMs (who often deploy their own drivers and firmware revs), I dunno...

Nothing on the same level of performance AFAIK, although you can run a 2.5" Intel 750 off an M.2 port using an M.2 to U.2 adapter (ASUS makes one, as does Asrock IIRC). The 750 is NVMe obviously and Intel has their own driver for it.

I'd probably go for a 2.5" 750 over a 512GB SM951, but I wasn't looking to spend $400+ so I went with the 256GB SM951.

Nothing on the same level of performance AFAIK, although you can run a 2.5" Intel 750 off an M.2 port using an M.2 to U.2 adapter (ASUS makes one, as does Asrock IIRC). The 750 is NVMe obviously and Intel has their own driver for it.

I'd probably go for a 2.5" 750 over a 512GB SM951, but I wasn't looking to spend $400+ so I went with the 256GB SM951.

Oddly the preorder in the UK is just about $300 for the 512mb NVMe SM951.

That's interesting, the 512GB AHCI still seems to be going for $375+ over here.

It's being replaced by an actual consumer facing product.

Yeah, I assumed that would be the case, but I haven't seen any product annoucements, have you? That's probably 6 months+ away if it isn't even on the horizon yet I would assume.

Yeah, I assumed that would be the case, but I haven't seen any product annoucements, have you? That's probably 6 months+ away if it isn't even on the horizon yet I would assume.

The announced it. It's due in October

950 pro

Back