Rocket Engine Lands In Guy’s Living Room

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
What is this, Donnie Darko? Apparently this kind of thing happens a little too often in China, as their rocket launch facilities are all inland.

According to China’s state-run Xinhua News Agency, the three-stage rocket lifted off at 10:31 PM U.S. Eastern Time on Aug. 27. A few hours later, at 4:06 AM Eastern Time, UK-based news outlet SinoDefense tweeted these images and said, “CZ4 rocket debris fell into a house in Shaanxi after Yaogan27 launch yesterday. Possible 1st stage engine.”

I guess it sucks to live in a country where the government considers you expendable. Make no mistake, it's not as if they didn't realize that debris could fall on populated areas, they simply don't care.

Meanwhile here in the US you have laws getting passed because people who bought cheap houses near the airport don't like the noise.

China, kicking and screaming as it drags itself into the 21st Century. Talk about growing pains.

i'm going to assume if you tried to sue the government for this they would just take you and your family out?

Meanwhile here in the US you have laws getting passed because people who bought cheap houses near the airport don't like the noise.

I don't understand this. People move next to airports or shooting ranges that have been there for at least 10 years prior, then do nothing but complain about it. How stupid are you?

He had nothing before the accident. Now he has nothing with a skylight and a rocket motor.

China gives her people gifts like no other nation.

i'm going to assume if you tried to sue the government for this they would just take you and your family out?

Nah, they send you to a special school to be "reeducated".

I guess it sucks to live in a country where the government considers you expendable. Make no mistake, it's not as if they didn't realize that debris could fall on populated areas, they simply don't care.
Sure they care... they care enough to cover it up, like when a rocket exploded near a village and "no one was injured" ... yeah looks like the napalm scene from Apocalypse Now, yet no one was hurt... sure.

To be fair, most laws that have changed exist because those houses were there back in the day when airplanes primarily had propellers and not jet engines, plus you'd get one airplane taking off every 30 minutes or so, not like now where you have on average at some large airports landing once every 30 seconds, and they want to add more runways. To further add to the new owners are usually the ones who complain because the older people are already deaf from the noise :D

I'm surprised they didn't just cover this up, rebuild the guy's house, give him an iPhone and pretend nothing happened.

an unannounced launch for a "disaster prevention" satellite... mmkay

Sure they care... they care enough to cover it up, like when a rocket exploded near a village and "no one was injured" ... yeah looks like the napalm scene from Apocalypse Now, yet no one was hurt... sure.

To be fair, most laws that have changed exist because those houses were there back in the day when airplanes primarily had propellers and not jet engines, plus you'd get one airplane taking off every 30 minutes or so, not like now where you have on average at some large airports landing once every 30 seconds, and they want to add more runways. To further add to the new owners are usually the ones who complain because the older people are already deaf from the noise :D

That isn't always the case. I know people that have bough houses next to rivers that are known to flood, they were told when buying the house to expecting flooding 3 - 4 times a year. And are now trying to get the government to buy out their houses for twice their value and condemn the area. A subdivision was build right behind a chicken farm 10 years ago. Everyone building was told that the farm was there. They protested after building complaining about the flies and the smell. The farm that had been there 50 years was formed to shut down. In some cases it is people living somewhere for a while and things around then getting worse, although from my experience in my area, it is normally more of people move to an area after said "problem" was already there, then bitch and sue over said problem.

Well that's the problem with expanding residential areas, the "they were there first" doesn't apply, because they zoned it as residential then the surrounding areas need to be safe for said residential. So the chicken farm should have fought when the area (presumably also farm land) had the zoning changed from Ag to Res, and brought up these exact ideas. Cities usually don't care because they make more from residents than they do from farms.

Hold on, you're telling me they couldn't find a single free spot along that ENTIRE east coast?

mchina.gif

Some people may not realize this, but this is the exact reason that we use Cape Canaveral in Florida for space launches. It so that when something like the Challenger explosion (1986) happens it all just falls into the Atlantic ocean. It sucks that it happens, but you still have to plan ahead for it.

I don't understand this. People move next to airports or shooting ranges that have been there for at least 10 years prior, then do nothing but complain about it. How stupid are you?
There's a reason those properties (especially those directly in the flight path) are priced lower than others.

Hold on, you're telling me they couldn't find a single free spot along that ENTIRE east coast?

http://i.infoplease.com/images/mchina.gif[/im g]

Some people may not realize this, but this is the exact reason that we use Cape Canaveral in Florida for space launches. It so that when something like the Challenger explosion (1986) happens it all just falls into the Atlantic ocean. It sucks that it happens, but you still have to plan ahead for it.[/QUOTE]

Actually, no it isn't the reason we use the Cape.

We use the Cape as it is the closest point to the equator in the contenintal USA. Being close to the equator gives you free power due to gravitational sling shot. Same reason the Russians like to user Baikonur in what today is in the foreign country of Khazakstan... Much to the locals dismay, as wind blown fumes from Russian rockets are highly poisonous, and kills large amounts of live stock locally.

Actually, no it isn't the reason we use the Cape.

We use the Cape as it is the closest point to the equator in the contenintal USA. Being close to the equator gives you free power due to gravitational sling shot.
And a bonus side effect is because if shit happens it falls into the water. There are places in southern Texas that would be equally good, if not better being closer south, but we don't do it there.

And a bonus side effect is because if shit happens it falls into the water. There are places in southern Texas that would be equally good, if not better being closer south, but we don't do it there.

SpaceX is building a launch facility near Brownsville, TX...which is further south than Cape Canaveral.

He should thank the great leader for the gift of allowing him to house such wonder state equipment and for the alterations to his home at no charge!

This is amazing, during my flight training we actually got a phone call in the office one day from an irate home owner who lives directly underneath the departure/landing runway. They were livid, they tried claiming that they had done their research and that according to an FAA regulation an airplane is not allowed to fly lower than 500 ft over residential areas. I was sitting there with my mouth on the floor like "are you fucking serious?", my instructor cut them off and referred them to the page that says "UNLESS LANDING", cuz ya'know, you kinda have to descend from 500 ft if you want to land anywhere.

He said they get at least 1 call per week from people trying to shut down the airport, which was built 20 years prior to any land development in that area at all.

Back