Netflix 4K Content Leaks To Torrent Sites

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It’s possible that HDCP 2.2 has been cracked, as a 4K rip of the Breaking Bad pilot has made it off Netflix and into the wild.

At the time of writing the 4K leak is only available on private torrent trackers but it’s expected to eventually leak to public sites as well. It’s currently unknown if the release group broke HDCP 2.2 or if they found another way to capture the stream.

Well that didn't take long.
Patiently waiting on season 2 of Better Call Saul.

The entire concept of HDCP is silly because ultimately anything that can be displayed can be copied/recorded.

The entire concept of HDCP is silly because ultimately anything that can be displayed can be copied/recorded.

the idea is to make it a headache to copy/record for 99% of people. There will always be the 1% that gets around it.

the idea is to make it a headache to copy/record for 99% of people. There will always be the 1% that gets around it.

And that 1% usually makes it easy to access for the 99% thus rendering it pretty useless.

Other options: it leaked from Netflix. Or from the post house that supplied the 4k master.

I work on the backend encoding pipe for a large VOD service. Engineering has total access to assets. 4:2:2 10bit master? Not a problem.

So it doesn't need to be compromised at the current device to leak.

Hmmm, I'd love to know what torrent sites because I can't find anything.

I thought 4k was only available on 4k TVs with netflix built in. If that's true, then breaking the protection requires some knowledge that most don't have (but I recall reading a while back that it's possible).

It'd certainly take a long time to DL. x264 encodes are probably 16GB/ep (give or take). Finally a reason for Gb fiber.

I thought 4k was only available on 4k TVs with netflix built in. If that's true, then breaking the protection requires some knowledge that most don't have (but I recall reading a while back that it's possible).

It'd certainly take a long time to DL. x264 encodes are probably 16GB/ep (give or take). Finally a reason for Gb fiber.

4k compressed to 480i for fast DL!

It's not possible to encrypt something so that it can't be recorded but yet is playable. They should just give up on the whole thing, it's not going to work.

It's not possible to encrypt something so that it can't be recorded but yet is playable. They should just give up on the whole thing, it's not going to work.

"Banks should just give up and always leave the vault unlocked, because every once in a while it's broken into"

It's not possible to encrypt something so that it can't be recorded but yet is playable.
That's not the problem. Someone can point a smartphone at a TV and "record" it, or record it in some other unsophisticated way.

If HDCP 2.2 has been cracked, recording the original raw stream is possible. That's a real problem for content providers who sell access to this content cheaply per view based on the belief it can't be copied.

You can just use an active HDMI splitter to capture the video stream unencrypted. The second port will be unencrypted. This has been known for a very long time.

You can just use an active HDMI splitter to capture the video stream unencrypted. The second port will be unencrypted. This has been known for a very long time.
That works for the version of HDCP the device supports (probably 2.0/2.1 since those are broken), but the 4K problem has to do with potentially breaking HDCP 2.2, which uses a different protection method than 2.0/2.1 and isn't backward compatible. Or it could be video leaked from other sources without streaming.

Hmmm, I'd love to know what torrent sites because I can't find anything.

Because it was deleted from most. It was supposedly recorded with nvidia shield, but looked worse than the 1080p version of the show.

I've seen the file. One episode is 17Gb. That's what happens when you record an H.265 stream as H.264.

I don't know who will be downloading stuff in 4k H.264 when a whole season is going to be ~1Tb. I know storage is cheap, but so is Netflix . . .

The biggest middle finger I've seen is that you still can't stream 4k to computers (unless this has changed) so PC types (like all of us here) are forced to get a set top box thing or watch in crappier quality. Considering the fact that I'm sure most of us are going to have 4k monitors before we get 4k TVs or projectors, the only way to watch on our PC will be to download the torrent. Dumb.

From Torrent Freak:
bb4k1.png

I'm not sure why it matters so much, I mean if you have a 12 dollar account for netflix you get 4k. yay. Someone cracks the netflix setup so now they can have their own copy. oh yay. They just saved themselves an amazing amount of 12 bucks a month.
They WIN the internet! :eek:

17g version and a 4g version

17G
General
Unique ID : 208978246982426242539759530087481128693 (0x9D37BF11607D3F1F9FB9EB426154B6F5)
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 17.7 GiB
Duration : 58mn 4s
Overall bit rate : 43.7 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2015-08-26 18:57:12
Writing application : mkvmerge v8.3.0 ('Over the Horizon') 64bit
Writing library : libebml v1.3.1 + libmatroska v1.4.2
DURATION : 00:57:38.584000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES : 824
NUMBER_OF_BYTES : 23351
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP : mkvmerge v8.3.0 ('Over the Horizon') 64bit
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC : 2015-08-26 18:57:12
_STATISTICS_TAGS : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 41.3 Mbps
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.208
Stream size : 16.8 GiB (95%)
Writing library : x264 core 148 r2597 e86f3a1
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=24 / lookahead_threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=2:0.90
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Color range : Limited

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Mode : 16
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 627 MiB (3%)
Language : English
Default : No

Text #1
ID : 3
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Default : Yes

Text #2
ID : 4
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title : CC
Default : No

4.8G

General Information

Sample Included......: Yes
DXVA Compliant.......: No
Chapters Included....: No
Source...............: Breaking.Bad.S01E01.Pilot.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DTS.x264-iON
Container............: MKV
Length...............: 58 minutes
Size.................: 4.66 GiB
Total Bitrate........: 11.5 Mbps
IMDb Information.....: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903747/
Genre................:

Audio Info

Codec................: DTS
Bitrate..............: 1 510 Kbps
kHz/bit..............: 48.0 KHz / 24 bits
Channels.............: 6
Language.............: ENGLISH
Subtitles............: ENGLISH

Video Info

Codec................: V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Type.................:
Format Profile Level.:
Resolution...........: 3840x2160
Aspect Ratio.........: 16:9
Bitrate..............: 9 761 Kbps
Framerate............: 23.976 FPS

I have a hard time believing that a 4K Netflix steam would look better than the 1080P Blu-Rays (which look fantastic btw). Resolution isn't everything. I still haven't found a 4K TV that tops my 65" 1080P TV yet from a normal viewing distance (8 Feet).

I'll wait until I can rip UHDs to my drives and watch it that way. Well not Breaking Bad which did nothing for me, but hopefully Dr. Who (I read they were the first TV show to use a Red One) or something that deserves the 4k treatment.

Has a H.265 release been done as well? I'm curious as to what the size would be.

The downside is that this makes it hard for services like Netflix to exist as the cartels will use these as examples of why they should not exist and try to stop them. But instead they should just put up with the fact that no matter what, it will happen. I'm actually surprised this did not start sooner, don't they make HDMI capture cards for video games and such? Can probably just use that. If for whatever reason that does not work you can set a properly calibrated camera to film a TV. Set everything right like lighting in a room with no one inside to cause shadows/light changes and it would probably be very watchable, better than a cinema cam where you have less control over the environment. Or if you're hard core you decode the LCD's display controller to pipe it into a FPGA/MCU or other device to convert it into a video format. Point is no matter what kind of protections they try to do it's possible to circumvent.

Reminds me when sites would use javascript to stop people from downloading pictures. You could just print screen it, disable javascript, or if you hit enter at same time as right clicking you'd still get the menu. There's always a way.

I'm not sure why it matters so much, I mean if you have a 12 dollar account for netflix you get 4k. yay. Someone cracks the netflix setup so now they can have their own copy. oh yay. They just saved themselves an amazing amount of 12 bucks a month.

The problem is 4K is still locked away to "Smart TV" and the Nvidia Shield setop box. They continue to give PC users the big middle finger even though we have far more 4K monitors deployed and actually used at 4K...

I have a hard time believing that a 4K Netflix steam would look better than the 1080P Blu-Rays (which look fantastic btw). Resolution isn't everything. I still haven't found a 4K TV that tops my 65" 1080P TV yet from a normal viewing distance (8 Feet).

There is no such thing as a normal viewing distance. It's up to you how far away you sit. And if you want you can go to the end of the street and watch everything on a 15000" screen.

You completely missed the point, if they did in fact crack HDCP 2.2 then that is BIG NEWS!

More bandwidth does not always mean better quality. What you are experiencing is what a lot of people originally complained about 4K video, it's not noticeably better than 1080p or 2K. These people argued that the industry should have waited till 8K video was more feasible, which at the time was estimated to be another 5-6 years.

When HDR 4K tv's become more accessible then you'll see a difference, but just like early 4k sets you should wait a while before buying to let the standards sort themselves out.

More bandwidth does not always mean better quality. What you are experiencing is what a lot of people originally complained about 4K video, it's not noticeably better than 1080p or 2K. These people argued that the industry should have waited till 8K video was more feasible, which at the time was estimated to be another 5-6 years.

When HDR 4K tv's become more accessible then you'll see a difference, but just like early 4k sets you should wait a while before buying to let the standards sort themselves out.

As I understand it, HDR sets can be updated via firmware to whatever standard. I'm not sure about the Wide Gamut, but HDR will be nice. Whenever I get a set, it'll be 4k. There's no point in getting HD at this point. By the time I replace the set, they'll sell 16k hologram projectors. Han and Leia will be in your living room

I'm thinking this could be a rip from a 4KBD, like some kind of demo disc playing on a pre-release player not locked down tight enough. It may have been captured as suggested earlier using a splitter, hence the HDMI capture method.

Back