Discussion of third person iso resurgence

Ruiner

2[H]4U
Is this based on pure nostalgia, novelty, or distaste with mainstream modern games? Divinity, Pillars, Shadowrun, Wasteland 2, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale reboots, new Torment....did I forget any?
Discuss.

3-D graphics just got better if you did a overhead view of the game say in 2003 with 3-D graphics not saying it wouldn't look good only a few games came out that were nice to look at. I think all of the overhead games are trying to emulate say BG or Ultima Online or the old Warcraft games which were all done in 2-D graphics which made something very stable to look a since the pixels or sprites didn't move unless you moved your character or did something with the environment.

Overhead view or 3/4 camera angle didn't really go away. 4X games have maintained this appearance before and after the classic isometric RPG's. Games like PoE and Torment I believe better fit into the Isometric standard, than say Wasteland 2, because of the way the backgrounds are designed.

I do think there is a resurgence of this type of game, whether 3D or isometric, which is a good thing.

I need more FFT/Ogre Tactic type games.

I would LOVE to see a FFT/Ogre Tactics/Vandal Hearts style PC game with a huge over-arching world map/campaign mode with a deep story and beautiful pixel art... yep, I'd buy that in a second.

Is this based on pure nostalgia, novelty, or distaste with mainstream modern games? Divinity, Pillars, Shadowrun, Wasteland 2, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale reboots, new Torment....did I forget any?
Discuss.

I think nostalgia has a lot to do with our perception of old games. If I go back and try to play some games now I quickly lose interest. Partly because "I've been there and done that" but partly because I think my tastes have evolved.

It's cheaper to make. Hence all the kickstarters.
I'm sure many wanted to go full 3D but can't afford it.

Back