YouTube Is About To Change Dramatically

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I don’t watch YouTube enough for its ads to bother me, but will those who live on the video service actually pay to avoid them?

According to multiple sources, the world’s largest video-sharing site is preparing to launch its two separate subscription services before the end of 2015 — Music Key, which has been in beta since last November, and another unnamed service targeting YouTube’s premium content creators, which will come with a paywall. Taken together, YouTube will be a mix of free, ad-supported content and premium videos that sit behind a paywall.

Well if it's anything like subs for newspapers they can count me out. I will not pay a dime for some YouTuber.

So YouTubers are already making millions and YouTube is making billions so their best idea is to charge people money? We're ALREADY paying you by using your service!

What a joke...fucking greed...that's all it is! I'm so sick of this shit.

Speaking for myself only, advertising killed television, radio, movie theaters and it'll kill Youtube.

There are already paid channels on youtube so what is the news here?

Agreed.

Nearly all the time I get the 30 second ad on YouTube without option to skip it after 5 seconds I just don't watch the video.

Also, many of the YouTube stars are douchebags, there are some good youtubers but not many. There have been some scandals of youtubers not passing money they received in donations and then ganging up on people confronting them about it.

I hope we see other services like YouTube popup.

If their competent tutorial uploaders goes behind a paywall, I'd pay for the subscription.

I use YouTube for a lot of things, but this will mess up a few government organizations if Google decides who goes behind the PayWall service.

If their competent tutorial uploaders goes behind a paywall, I'd pay for the subscription.

I use YouTube for a lot of things, but this will mess up a few government organizations if Google decides who goes behind the PayWall service.

Video tutorials are pointless, watching a video of someone else doing something won't help you learn. You need to figure things out at your own pace, and to do that with a video means constant rewinding and stopping. A proper written tutorial is worth 1000x more.

I'm kind of annoyed when I search for tutorials or examples for something on the internet and half of the results are youtube videos. Even for things that can be explained in about two lines of text, some idiots make a 5 minute long video.

Agreed.

Nearly all the time I get the 30 second ad on YouTube without option to skip it after 5 seconds I just don't watch the video.

Same here, I don't want them to waste my time. We moved to online videos from cable tv for this exact reason. And they try to follow us with the ads? We'll just move on again, to the next thing.

I've said this before, it's not so much a problem with ads it's a problem with how they're delivered and how many.

The good shows work ads into the script so they're subtle. The greedy ones put lots of ad breaks. It's what is killing TV. I can sit through a 15sec ad breaks. But when those breaks are 4 minutes, I find that atrocious. SpikeTV is a huge offender. I think they clock around 24min of ad time per 1hr. In comparison, BBC does around 12min for an hour and the US standard is 16min.

Does Shane Dawson count as "premium" content? I hope so because I don't plan on paying for shit.

Video tutorials are pointless, watching a video of someone else doing something won't help you learn. You need to figure things out at your own pace, and to do that with a video means constant rewinding and stopping. A proper written tutorial is worth 1000x more.

I'm kind of annoyed when I search for tutorials or examples for something on the internet and half of the results are youtube videos. Even for things that can be explained in about two lines of text, some idiots make a 5 minute long video.
I partly agree.
There are way too many tutorials that could be summed up in a half page of some blog that takes me a minute to read, while the video is some douchebag with a squeeky voice, a bad microphone and a speech impediment fumbling for words for 20 minutes because he thought he doesn't need to prepare, he can just wing it. And that's after he spends five minutes welcoming back his 232 subscribers and another then elaborately framing the context of the video.

But there's also a lot of things that are definitely easier shown than described. I recently got into doing a lotta repairs on my car myself and there's no way I could have been taught without video.

IF you're a paid customer do they still track you, harvest your data, and sell it to the highest bidder?

YMMV I guess. In almost every case I am looking at one of those how to videos, it is for something I intend to maybe do once. Like replace the speaker on the original Galaxy S, or replace the charging jack on a gen 1 Nexus 7. I am not looking to figure it out on my own. I just want to see it done once, then do it myself once.

If it goes behind a paywall, it will just not be viewed by me. The content on youtube is interesting, though rarely, sometimes even enough to sit through one of the adverts that can not be skipped. However, it is not interesting enough to pay a monthly fee.

I'd pay for Youtube if we got more for it than just no ads. Videos that aren't bit rate compressed to hell. Cessation of tracking across not just Youtube, but all of Google's services, including Adsense—delete my metadata entirely.

Offer that, and then we'll talk, Google.

The content on youtube is interesting, though rarely, sometimes even enough to sit through one of the adverts that can not be skipped.

You don't have to see the ads. I use Firefox and have installed uBlock plugin, that stops the ads.

Sure playing around until you figure it out is great, but sometimes you need to know how to do a specific task NOW. I'll take a video over searching through all those poorly written howtos that always seem to assume you already now how to do what they are supposed to be teaching you.

I feel bad for Tek Syndicate, Linus Tech Tips, Pauls Hardware and Awesome sauce Network. :( If they end up behind a paywall, they are going to probably loose a ton of subscribers. Oh, and JazTwoCents as well.

Sorry I disagree with you completely, if you were talking about the myriad of people who are terrible at tutorials then yes I agree. Other wise no.

I feel bad for Tek Syndicate, Linus Tech Tips, Pauls Hardware and Awesome sauce Network. :( If they end up behind a paywall, they are going to probably loose a ton of subscribers. Oh, and JazTwoCents as well.

They aren't going to end up behind a paywall. And Linus has actually opted in to a paywall in the form of Vessel.com.

I'd pay for Youtube if we got more for it than just no ads. Videos that aren't bit rate compressed to hell. Cessation of tracking across not just Youtube, but all of Google's services, including Adsense—delete my metadata entirely.

Offer that, and then we'll talk, Google.

I might listen.

Oh right, Youtube has ads. I totally forgot thanks to adblock. Browsing Youtube without adblock is ridiculous though. It's one thing to have static ads, but freaking commercials are really really pushing it. Commercials belong on TV, not the internet.

Music service sounds like a great deal. $96 a year to stream music. What a bargain. :p Unless you are annually spending over $100 a year I don't see why anyone would prefer this over buying it. Music videos which have traditionally been free to (or did they used to be paid before the internet?).

As for paid/premium content, I could see it if they were proper TV series that need to cover costs. Think Battlestar Galactica or something. Otherwise I have zero interest and hope other "premium" channels flop. The mass appeal of youtube is you can watch shorter videos for free. Start charging for it and there are better things to watch entertainment wise.

This is in no way related to anything I said. Blocking is not the same as deleting the information that is already there.

Additionally, your assumption that I've never heard of or don't use any of these is quite amusing.

You said, "I'd pay for Youtube if we got more for it than just no ads.".

I tired to help you out and get a rude response back. :rolleyes:

i use youtube every single day. after work i lay on my bed and watch youtube. and now they will charge for usage?! by how much monthly???

Every piece of small engine maintenance or repair I've done in the last decade has gone successfully and been the result of a YouTube video. I would much rather listen and watch how people actuallybdonthe work then read about it. There are always quirks when working with small engines in my experience.

Also I've written a couple older guides in GameFAQs and most of that stuff could much more easily have been shown with a video.

Sure playing around until you figure it out is great, but sometimes you need to know how to do a specific task NOW. I'll take a video over searching through all those poorly written howtos that always seem to assume you already now how to do what they are supposed to be teaching you.

Well usually I know 95% of what I intend to do, only a little detail missing. And I can read trough quickly a written tutorial to find that one detail that eludes me. While I'd have to watch the entire 20 minute video to find it, if the guy even bothered to include it, then If it's not there I'd be furious as I just wasted my time for nothing.

But I agree video tutorials are better if you know literally nothing about what you intend to do. But I'd just leave it to the experts then.

I was watching YouTube cast to my roku and got up and walked away to take care of something. Something like a 10-15 minute ad played on the background. From what I could tell it has the skip button that comes up after a few seconds. I was too busy to change it, but wtf 10 minutes?

Man, I use that stuff all the time to do new stuff around the house.

In the last couple weeks I have watched a video about how to pour a concrete slab and I watched a video on how to replace a Price Pfister shower cartridge. Which I'm glad I did, cause they make theirs different then most and I would have certainly torn the thing to hell trying to disassemble like normal shower cartridges.

Back