Nitrogen Triiodide Is A Substance That Detonates On The Slightest Touch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Looking for a new way to prank your friends? Try placing some nitrogen triiodide on their seat. It’s an incredibly unstable substance that blows up with minimal contact.

Been there, done that, in the '60s. Guy in my class in high school had the formula, hardest part was getting the pure ammonia, one molar (lab grade, no soap). Iodine crystals were a little easier, back then, no real restrictions on getting lab stuff, hell, they used to sell real chemistry sets in hobby stores, and my chemistry teacher used to let us piggy-back on his orders to the big supply houses for the glassware. Ah, those were the days.

But, as long as you kept the resultant wet, or froze it, low temps kept it stable, too. But once you let it dry, boom. We used to make it and then toss the liquid/precipitate on the floor, once you let the smell dissipate, anyone walking over it would go snap/crackle/pop. And very small quantities were powerful (depending on the purity of what was used), so this isn't something to do lightly. Or at all. I was young, ignorant and in high school when we did that. If I had a kid in high school and found they were doing something like this, I'd beat them, in a politically correct way, of course.

pek

No edit, dammit. Also, back then, it was Ammonium Trinitrogen Iodide.

And I wanted to say one molar or better ammonia.

pek

Been there, done that, in the '60s. Guy in my class in high school had the formula, hardest part was getting the pure ammonia, one molar (lab grade, no soap). Iodine crystals were a little easier, back then, no real restrictions on getting lab stuff, hell, they used to sell real chemistry sets in hobby stores, and my chemistry teacher used to let us piggy-back on his orders to the big supply houses for the glassware. Ah, those were the days.

But, as long as you kept the resultant wet, or froze it, low temps kept it stable, too. But once you let it dry, boom. We used to make it and then toss the liquid/precipitate on the floor, once you let the smell dissipate, anyone walking over it would go snap/crackle/pop. And very small quantities were powerful (depending on the purity of what was used), so this isn't something to do lightly. Or at all. I was young, ignorant and in high school when we did that. If I had a kid in high school and found they were doing something like this, I'd beat them, in a politically correct way, of course.

pek

Do that today you'll get jail time probably. And a swat team at the school. Good ole days :)

It's produced as a wet paste that is non-volatile. Once it dries it becomes unstable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWMlUDT2sK8

I seem to recall some movie (80s cult classic?) where the main guy (in high school) put some of that right inside a drawer that was partially open, then some time later one of the kids closed it and it popped. Damnit it's bugging the shit out of me I can't remember that movie.

Also the guys pronunciation of iodine bugged me, I realize it's British English, but eye-o-dine, not eye-o-dean

pek

Beat him with a nitrogen triiodide stick and put the video YouTube!:D

I seem to recall some movie (80s cult classic?) where the main guy (in high school) put some of that right inside a drawer that was partially open, then some time later one of the kids closed it and it popped. Damnit it's bugging the shit out of me I can't remember that movie.

Also the guys pronunciation of iodine bugged me, I realize it's British English, but eye-o-dine, not eye-o-dean

The Manhattan Project.

Why come the English butcher the pronunciation of English? Why come iodine rhymes with Paula Deen?

/sarcasm

Been there, done that, in the '60s. Guy in my class in high school had the formula...
My dad told me of a similar story from the 60's of a friend of his from high school who would pour Nitrogen Triiodide over a stretch of sidewalk in NYC and watch pedestrians freak out as the ground 'snapped' loudly beneath them.

Back