Oxford University Press Adds Hundreds Of Useless Words To Its Dictionaries

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Rage-quit. Hangry. Awesomesauce. These are just a few of the incredibly poetic and culturally relevant terms that have made it into Oxford’s latest update. Maybe Oxford should make a separate dictionary whenever they feel bored enough to add words like these. They can name it “Words you should never say out loud.”

One reason you might rage-quit is because you are being pwned: that is, utterly defeated by an opponent. This informal term is used more often in video gaming, and supposedly resulted from a common mistyping of own with this sense, as a result of the proximity of p and o on a computer keyboard. Along with pwn comes pwnage (and ownage), being ‘the action or fact of utterly defeating an opponent or rival’.

Last edited:
What the hell? Yeah talk about pointless. Please let's not give people who create some of these annoying "words" more motivation. If I hear that words like this are being added to a dictionary, it damn well should be the urban dictionary ffs.

Why don't they have a standard dictionary and then a slang dictionary?

I feel slightly embarrassed to own a hardcover copy of the Oxford Dictionary now. On the bright side it'll never 'gain' these useless words... score for dead-tree versions, I guess :)

They should release a dank meme and popular twitch chat spam phrases dictionary, infinite material, they could release yearly editions like call of duty and have streamers promote it.

Back