Would this console and game be worth much in a few years? (MGSV )

Mr Happy

Weaksauce
Hello all

I have ordered one of the limited edition red mgsv:tpp ps4 consoles and a copy of the collectors edition of MGSV:TPP on ps4 (which was damn hard to get).

Out of interest, do you think that both of the items, if they were kept, sealed and unused, they would be worth a lot of money some years down the line?

Cheers

10 years from now, probably less than you paid for it but much more than an ordinary PS4.

There are so many special edition consoles these days that they aren't that special. If TPP ends up being one of the best games ever then maybe you'd make money, but probably less than if you just tied up the cash in a CD with a decent interest rate.

The game would probably be worth some money, but limited edition consoles don't usually appreciate in value at all unless you're Nintendo. The Halo 3 Legendary Edition is going for around $300 US these days, when it was $130 brand new 8 years ago.

Op, I am curious; did you buy them specifically to keep them sealed? If not, then I would say just open them up and enjoy them. I'm also getting the Collector's Edition for MGS 5 and thoroughly looking forward to opening it up and enjoying it.

Op, I am curious; did you buy them specifically to keep them sealed? If not, then I would say just open them up and enjoy them. I'm also getting the Collector's Edition for MGS 5 and thoroughly looking forward to opening it up and enjoying it.

No I didnt buy them to keep them sealed.

I may keep them sealed or maybe buy another of each (if I can; they are hard to get in the UK) and keep a sealed pair for future resale (game and console).

Or I may do neither...

I am a perfectionist and a huge MGS fan- it will almost pain me to break the seal on the items, if you understand me...

I dont know if you folks are aware or not but this is allegedly the last MGS game, well at least the last one directed by Hideo Kojima as he is leaving Konami.

Last edited:
Well going back to Halo 3, I purchase the standard version along with the Legendary version so I could keep the latter sealed...

Well going back to Halo 3, I purchase the standard version along with the Legendary version so I could keep the latter sealed...

When are you hoping to sell it?

How much is it worth now/ will it be worth in future? (If you know)

When are you hoping to sell it?

How much is it worth now/ will it be worth in future? (If you know)
I've seen it going for $230-$300 on eBay. I may keep it indefinitely since I'm somewhat of a collector, myself. When I make a purchasing decision it's whether or not I want it, not on the potential worth in the future. I may open it up some day, though, and put that helmet on display.

Not likely, the market is pretty saturated with that kind of stuff. The collectors market is very finicky and I'm sorry to tell you this but MGSV is no Powerstone.

Not likely, the market is pretty saturated with that kind of stuff. The collectors market is very finicky and I'm sorry to tell you this but MGSV is no Powerstone.

Surely the collectors edition of the game is relatively hard to get....(?)

Special edition consoles rarely seem to appreciate in value. I think that is largely because most of them aren't really a rarity. Even though they are typically a short limited time sale, during that time, they usually aren't hard to obtain. This means that anyone who wants one shouldn't have any problem getting one, and a few years down the road there should still be enough of them out there to not make them overwhelmingly rare. More valuable that a standard console, sure, but as has been said, probably not worth enough to make money off of.

As example of a limited run console that you can actually make money on was something like the 20th Anniversary PS4. There was an exceptionally high demand and very few consoles up for grabs. It was far from a walk into wal-mart and buy it. Those are worth quite a bit of cash, and likely will be worth a lot more several years down the road.

Special edition consoles rarely seem to appreciate in value. I think that is largely because most of them aren't really a rarity. Even though they are typically a short limited time sale, during that time, they usually aren't hard to obtain. This means that anyone who wants one shouldn't have any problem getting one, and a few years down the road there should still be enough of them out there to not make them overwhelmingly rare. More valuable that a standard console, sure, but as has been said, probably not worth enough to make money off of.

As example of a limited run console that you can actually make money on was something like the 20th Anniversary PS4. There was an exceptionally high demand and very few consoles up for grabs. It was far from a walk into wal-mart and buy it. Those are worth quite a bit of cash, and likely will be worth a lot more several years down the road.

I was trying to make a point that if the items were Sealed ie still in cellophane/shrink wrap ie unopened with the seal unbroken wouldnt that make

Eg 10/15 years down the line the red mgsv ps4 might not be hard to find, but what about a sealed one???

Also I would have thought the collectors edition of the game was rare enough....

Also, there are mgsv collectors edition ps4 being advertised on ebay uk for twice the original buying price....what would they be worth at least a decade from now, i wonder (if they were still sealed)?

Did you ever consider keeping the game sealed/buying a second one to keep sealed?

I

I was trying to make a point that if the items were Sealed ie still in cellophane/shrink wrap ie unopened with the seal unbroken wouldnt that make

Eg 10/15 years down the line the red mgsv ps4 might not be hard to find, but what about a sealed one???

Also I would have thought the collectors edition of the game was rare enough....

A sealed one may be worth more, but it takes the right person to want that, and doesn't change the fact that it won't be overwhelmingly rare. I think the matter is that it very likely won't be worth your trouble. It's a gamble. You might lose money. You might make some. If you do, it'll probably be very little. Is it worth sitting on that much cash to *maybe* make $100 in 10 years?

The game may be worth it. More people collect limited edition games that consoles. It still might not make you much. I haven't really been paying attention to the CE. Did it run out? The less copies that were made, the better your chances of making money.

In 20 to 30 years most AAA titles out today will be most likely a gold mine to hold on too.

Just like old school Nintendo stuff today.

In 20 to 30 years most AAA titles out today will be most likely a gold mine to hold on too.

Just like old school Nintendo stuff today.

Thats not how it works. Collectability and value is mostly determined by availability. AAA games are mass produced, even "collectors editions" are still produced in large quantities as it is mostly a marketing term used to get people to spend more money.

Back in the day people didnt buy stuff intending to keep it sealed and re sale it like they do today.

Surely the collectors edition of the game is relatively hard to get....(?)

When nearly everything is a limited edition collectors edition, than nothing is really a limited collectors edition. There are shit tons of "special" consoles on the market and none of them are really limited to small production runs or based on niche games which would keep the volume down.

Also there is a decent chance the collector's edition isn't worth much of anything in a few years. I see deals on collectors editions games somewhat regularly. Boxed sets that originally sold for around $200 find ways of ending up on shelves a year later for $100. Then retailers want them gone because they take up shelf space.

Last edited:
i don't think games of today will ever end up with massive values like a lot of the cartridge stuff right now. Video games should never be seen as investment... just look at shit like beenie babies.

Sure right now, some retro game stuff can be worth lots of money but I suspect that will crash at some point when the hipsters move on to something else. Right now though, specially nintendo stuff, is through the roof.

Do you think unused dlc codes from games bought now would still work a decade or more in the future???

Do you think unused dlc codes from games bought now would still work a decade or more in the future???

Given the direction Konami is heading, no.

Look at it this way... Is it worth $600 to you to buy a MGS console and game even if it has zero value in the future? If so, then buy them and you may hit a home run in ten years. If you consider this an investment with near sure fire returns, kill your plan now as you could get stuck with a console and game worth less than $100 together in ten years.

It's totally fine to blow money on gaming stuff because you have the money and think it's cool. Look at the people buying Amiibos right now, that shit is like Beanie Babies 2.0. A lot if the fun is in the collecting and trying to find needed figures in stock, the whole thing turns into a meta hobby. Just don't expect your money back or you will likely be disappointed.

Last edited:
On Amazon Uk right now there are only a handful of collectors edition of MGSV for ps4, which are in the £200-£250 or so price range. (the original price of it was £100 in the UK from Game, if I recall correctly)

No I didnt buy them to keep them sealed.

I may keep them sealed or maybe buy another of each (if I can; they are hard to get in the UK) and keep a sealed pair for future resale (game and console).

Or I may do neither...

I am a perfectionist and a huge MGS fan- it will almost pain me to break the seal on the items, if you understand me...

I dont know if you folks are aware or not but this is allegedly the last MGS game, well at least the last one directed by Hideo Kojima as he is leaving Konami.

I'm a huge MGS fan too, but i'm more of a MGS fan than a collector of anything. I collect games and consoles solely for myself without thinking of selling them later.

Back